What do you Dread the most when playing ASL? (Game Play)

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
x 10 to the the slow play thing. It drove me away from FTF play. I also actually dread being the slow player myself --- PBEM is the cure -- it's supposed to be slow.

I pretty much dread everything. Defensive set-ups where I've failed to appreciate the critical issues of the scenario. ESB rolls. Ambush rolls. Mid-game rules corrections that render my entire strategy a complete farce. Any -2 IFT roll. The woods if my opponent has mortars. Open ground all the time. Losing my whole kill stack to a lucky roll AND then being told "don't stack." Losing to a player who stacks everything. My boxcars. Your aces. HOB rolls that end in surrender or Berserking a critical defender from a critical position. Bog rolls. Hip'd guns. Multiple Hits. Something moving in the Sewer. Americans and their goddamn WP. Germans and their fricking Pfausts. Dropping concealment to fire at ... dummies! Driving a HT anywhere near a LMG while carrying passengers. Your rock steady radio accurate nothing but black cards OBA. My dead battery red card friendly fire OBA. Either player's FOBA. And the unbearable quiet scorn of grogs re all things, especially counter storage. In short. I dread ASL, and let's not even talk about the completely horrifying PTO... and as for the desert... well anyway. ASL. FANTASTIC GAME.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ahhh yes. Now that you mention it, surprised no one had mentioned it earlier.

I'll never forget having a late term Berlin CG playtest get completely trashed when I forgot about Alexander's love of the gaming table and forgot to close the gaming room door and got home that night from work to find .. complete destruction 100's of counters everywhere and him laying.. I shit you not.. directly over the Reichstag. It was so fitting, I couldnt't cry, much less get mad, I just laughed the laugh of the temporarily insane.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I don’t dread but my regular FtF friends dread me with a mortar, especially when I get rates of 10 plus!!

Will Fleming

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hmm, I would echo a thought that Jazz(?) mentioned here several years (or decades now) ago.

Not giving my opponent a challenge.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
At one tourney I ended up reading whilst he deliberated every move of every counter, death by boredom I could of easily played another game at the same time and finished so much quicker

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Given the question and given the responses about CC and Rallying, etc., do folks think the "randomness" adds to the "reality" of war in ASL? That is, maybe your numbers are superior in CC but...one of your guys stumble over some rubble or your gun jams and the less numbered troops get a slight advantage, then more, and eventually take you out. Anyway...I kinda like the randomness as I think it adds to the "mystery" of war.
The randomness is what add flavor to the game (for me). I think if less wacky stuff happened I would have lost interest in ASL long ago........

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Unless I am playing the Japanese, I tend to dread CC. I could go in with all the odds and still gack it:cool:

But what I truly dread is slow play (and get mad at myself when I find myself doing it).

Peace

Roger

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I do not mind slow play, sometimes when your playing a fairly large scenario or CG you have to really look at how much of an impact your moves or preps might make on the overall aspect of the battle.

Unless I am playing the Japanese, I tend to dread CC. I could go in with all the odds and still gack it:cool:

But what I truly dread is slow play (and get mad at myself when I find myself doing it).

Peace

Roger

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I do not mind slow play, sometimes when your playing a fairly large scenario or CG you have to really look at how much of an impact your moves or preps might make on the overall aspect of the battle.
You don't play slow (at least that year you were next to me you didn't)......... I am talking glacial play....... a 3 hour scenario taking 6 hours for example......:mad:

I have the opposite when I play CGs, especially larger ones. There are always more troops where they came from:cool:

Burnie and I can bang stuff out. Of course we play on VASL and that speeds things up as you are not messing with counters.

Peace

Roger

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Hmm, I would echo a thought that Jazz(?) mentioned here several years (or decades now) ago.

Not giving my opponent a challenge.
This is a good one........ I hate and I mean HATE when I do not give someone a good game...... I actually feel bad when it happens.

RaphaelC

Reaction score
Country
ll
your only weapon that can knock out your opponents tiger and you roll 12 on the to hit :mad::mad:
How true. You wait for four long turns for your first ever IS2 to arrive, roll a 2DR for the CMG LOS check, followed immediately by a 12 for the MA!

Raphael

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A slow player. One who stares at his one remaining counter for ten minutes.
A player who never seems to even look up from the game.
People who insist on using the same dice. NO! I have at least 50 dice--use one of the others or your own damn dice!!! :mad: