What do you Dread the most when playing ASL? (Game Play)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
hillocks? pfff... hah man I have never seen a hillock swallow up AFV's like something out of a frickin B horror flick. Perhaps it was just bad acid, but it scarred me permantly. I see Hamada on a scenario card and suddenly my flesh gets clammy and I swear I see Hamada start growing out of the walls.

bad stuff man...
Fully-tracked vehicles never immobilize in hammada. Other vehicles are only used to create vehicle dust for the fully-tracked ones.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably the "Dance of Death" with AFVs. I find myself always quite tense when trying to execute them (usually not ultimately to my benefit either).:wtf:

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
nice!

lesson one. Fully tracked vehicles never immobilize in hamada

lesson two. One should never play ASL under the influence

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Probably the "Dance of Death" with AFVs. I find myself always quite tense when trying to execute them (usually not ultimately to my benefit either).:wtf:
Agreed. I'm at the point of having basic competence with AFV rules, but just don't know at all how to play them well. I live in dread every turn when I have to finally decide what in the heck I'm going to do with my AFV.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Another of my favorite things in the game. I agree with the slow play sentiment. I am OK with taking your time to think it through, but at some point, you got to get to it. Think long, think wrong. That's what Pleva says (or something reasonably close to that). -- jim

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
Actually among my favorite things to do. Just got to make sure everything breaks in the right spot. :) -- jim
I have two dreads. The first using artillery. My oppo uses them they become akin to the 25th level "Wind of Divine Consequence" spell in AD&D, sweeping everything before them.

I use them they become akin to a fumbled 1st level Magic Missile. My radios almost feel like they have been cursed by witchcraft usually with leader after leader (3 in my scenario last night) heading over to the "nice shiny thing" and then bang "urgh".

And light mortars (any mortars really). I dread them when I'm attacking through walls/hedges, woods, etc. I never take those things lightly. It's one of THE bizarre mentalities to get into. That when your opponent has been gifted with mortars for their long range suppression, that you're better ignoring those woods nearby and charging through the open ground instead :)

Insofar as Americans I really enjoy the challenge of attack with them. Possibly my favourite thing in the game. Just played a couple of games of Purple Heart Draw. Really interesting to try get them rolling.

footsteps

Just visiting
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
hillocks? pfff... hah man I have never seen a hillock swallow up AFV's like something out of a frickin B horror flick. Perhaps it was just bad acid, but it scarred me permantly. I see Hamada on a scenario card and suddenly my flesh gets clammy and I swear I see Hamada start growing out of the walls.

bad stuff man...
Just remember not to inhale... and all should be good.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
nah boozin' these days and digging some Willie and Waylon and feeling blue all thanks to JRV who not only blew up my ASL stand up routine on a technicality like the master of rules he is, but reminded me that I hadn't played a desert scenario in probably 5 or 6 years and still have a ways to go in getting back into the swing of the finer minutia of the ASLRB. Though Omaha is scratching that itch very well, nothing says ASLreimmersion like trying to tackle Seaborne Assaults in heavy surf on a vast scale with all the OOB bells and whistles. Perhaps after I finish that combined scenario, heading to Chapter F. The basics came back quickly but the more esoteric stuff needs a bit of refresher.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The dice is what I dread most. My rolls may be average in the long run, but the timing of my rolls is almost always against me.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
The dice is what I dread most. My rolls may be average in the long run, but the timing of my rolls is almost always against me.
I'd place my bet that you should dread 'dice superstition' more than 'dice'. ;)

Roll low & cheers,
von Marwitz

MajorDomo

DM? Chuck H2O in his face
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scenarios with sizeable CVP requirements that are largely accomplished by destroying (or rarely capturing) vehicles.

Makes for unrealistic/odd/sleazy play.

Rich

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
The only thing I really dread is trying to read the old counters when pulling vehicles for a scenario.:eek:
Gonna need to wear the Optivisor to play soon...:eek:

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
your only weapon that can knock out your opponents tiger and you roll 12 on the to hit :mad::mad:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another of my favorite things in the game. I agree with the slow play sentiment. I am OK with taking your time to think it through, but at some point, you got to get to it. Think long, think wrong. That's what Pleva says (or something reasonably close to that). -- jim
Agreed, best to go with your gut feeling most of the time. Our brains are configured to give us the the best or at least the most expedient solution to a problem in the short term. Often times overthinking an action as a solution to a problem overlooks the obvious that perhaps even unconsciously we had taken into account in the first place.

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rolling Heavy Winds on the turn before my A9 CS Cruiser is to enter. . Just happened in J161 Riding to the Rescue.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
your only weapon that can knock out your opponents tiger and you roll 12 on the to hit :mad::mad:
Strange. In Hollywood war-movies it is always the other way around:

Everything can knock out your Shermans - ATGs, Tigers, PFs, ATMMs, you name it... But the Germans always roll 12s on the TH or on the TK in case they hit. 'Fury' anyone? :facepalm:

von Marwitz