What do you Dread the most when playing ASL? (Game Play)

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi-

For me it has to be Close Combat, especially in a CG. It is such a numbers game, you think oh I need a 10 or less that should be no problem, but you roll an 11 while your opponent who needs a 3 or less rolls snake eyes. Secondly I Dread rallying, case in point, during my RB CG, my 9-2 leader survived two rocket attacks only to roll boxcars on a self rally roll and dies, the three squads that survived the rockets but were broken now have to take -2 leader loss MC's. Just not fair!! lol

Scott

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scott

I am with you on CC!! I think long and hard now about going into CC unless I have huge odds in my favor, I always
seem to get one higher on the DR than I need :)

Regards
Joe

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Black number CC is lame.

Red number HTH is where the big boys play. I know you are a PTO guy Scott. You are just saying it.

I dread wasting “time” and not maximizing my turns or my assets.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Another really bad thing is when you go into CC with an AFV and need like a 10 or less to kill and roll boxcars, so the smirk on ones face quickly evaporates to horror as an almost guaranteed kill goes south real quick.

ya gotta love this game lol

Scott

Scott

I am with you on CC!! I think long and hard now about going into CC unless I have huge odds in my favor, I always
seem to get one higher on the DR than I need :)

Regards
Joe

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Actually, it is the setup. Especially, the defensive setup of a scenario.

One one hand, I like doing the setup, on the other hand I feel that it can be a real pain. This is especially true for the more 'modern' short scenarios of around 5 turns. Oftentimes, the setup might pre-decide the game. These scenarios are often too short to amend for mistakes. At the same time, a good setup might just buy you that half-turn (or less) of time that you would otherwise be missing in the end to fulfill the VC.

In that regard, the very old scenarios had something going for them: You could just put your stuff somewhere and move/redeploy your units into position. These were more forgiving with regard to setup mistakes. At the same time, these 'old' scenarios can get 'broken' if the players don't waste any time which usually plays out in favor of the attacker.

von Marwitz

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
What do you Dread the most when playing ASL? (Game Play)

Sssllllllllllllllooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww play.

When my opponent averages 3-5 minutes per infantry unit when moving, I would literally prefer having my f**king teeth pulled; it is that mentally agonizing to me. A 10-squad/no AFV OOB should never take 40 minutes to move. It would be like shooting craps where there is 20 minutes between each dice roll, or playing Scrabble where each player is allotted 30 minutes per word lay. Eventually, and much sooner than later, watching paint dry can no longer hold my attention, and I will simply walk away. There is an old saying often bandied about, "Hey, any ASL is good ASL." For me, no. You don't have to play as fast as me, but please don't act as if we are doing a West Point sand-table exercise on which the fate of the free world depends. [Obvious EXC: new/newer players with whom I am very accommodating with regard to pace and questions.]

Kijug

Reaction score
First name
Matt
Country
llUnited States
Given the question and given the responses about CC and Rallying, etc., do folks think the "randomness" adds to the "reality" of war in ASL? That is, maybe your numbers are superior in CC but...one of your guys stumble over some rubble or your gun jams and the less numbered troops get a slight advantage, then more, and eventually take you out. Anyway...I kinda like the randomness as I think it adds to the "mystery" of war.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
CC is scary, especially hand-to-hand. I remember shortly after I started playing PTO, I advanced into CC with three Brit squads and an 8-1 leader against a concealed IJA squad , thinking the odds were with me. Um, no. The squads and the leader were never seen again and the IJA unit remained concealed.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ditto on CC unless it's Russians in RB.

с головы!

I also dread F'ing up the VC... AGAIN!

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
what do I dread in ASL? Oh no doubt

hamada

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
hillocks? pfff... hah man I have never seen a hillock swallow up AFV's like something out of a frickin B horror flick. Perhaps it was just bad acid, but it scarred me permantly. I see Hamada on a scenario card and suddenly my flesh gets clammy and I swear I see Hamada start growing out of the walls.

bad stuff man...