What Constitutes being an ASL Player?

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Forgive me for momentarily derailing the thread with an uncomfortable Self Awareness Task Check (SATC), but to most family members and other outsiders to this game, 'middle-aged or older male nerd' would seem to be the typical definition of an ASL player.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Money is the square root of all evil....
or the lowest common denominator of all evil...
or...

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Still only a noob I guess...the best I can recall is either 7 or 8 RB CG IIIs.
Lack of available kid (and cat) -proof space is the determining factor.
I had my 'game room' in an apartment blocked off to a height of 6 1/2 feet and the cats still got in.
Those lil buggers can really jump!
(floor to counter to top of fridge to top of bookcase)

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Still only a noob I guess...the best I can recall is either 7 or 8 RB CG IIIs.
Lack of available kid (and cat) -proof space is the determining factor.
I had my 'game room' in an apartment blocked off to a height of 6 1/2 feet and the cats still got in.
Those lil buggers can really jump!
(floor to counter to top of fridge to top of bookcase)
The "technical" term is Feline OBA, or FOBA. :)

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Errare Humanum Est

And if you can forgive someone for not being an ASL player, that would be divine!

Seriously Gents, I feel this thread and OP's question has gone way off track and IMHO should never of been asked in the first place, Jack nails it, I want the person/S I play against to be friends, anything else to my mind elevates the idea of the elite ASL player and creates a situation where some clearly think they are better than others.
as long as you enjoy the game and play it a bit who gives a frig what you call yourself, I play as many here do lots of game systems, I love playing Panzer, does that make me a Panzer'ist! I can not get enough of Streets of Stalingrad L2's version, does that mean I am a 'Stalingradist?' some times I give up, pure and simple, we play games with maps and card board, we are as a collective war-gamers, simple, that is our hobby, to claim to be anything else is just bollox.

For those who ASL is a way of life, well what ever rocks your world, thankfully I have more in mine than that to worry about if I can be classed as an ASLer, if that is a bad thing so be it, count me out of the ASL scene if it is so important to have to label yourself such.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They are evil until we get that um 'urge' then they become a very necessary evil:D
My oldest son once said he has "no need for them for any longer than 10 minutes at a time". His older sister told him that was "because he could not afford one for any longer than that......"

tah dum, boom.

:D

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My oldest son once said he has "no need for them for any longer than 10 minutes at a time". His older sister told him that was "because he could not afford one for any longer than that......"

tah dum, boom.

:D
Your Oldest Daughter needs to be congratulated on her Witt Jon, that is a pure classic quick fire come back, bless her.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just remember "8 on the 8 is a NMC" and break it down from there.
If you know that nobody can doubt you are a true ASLer with true ASLness. If they doubt you smack 'em in the face with your RB (not the pocket version) and beat them.
I loved your answer, but you kept going a little too long, so I fixed it for you

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why memorize it? you have charts, use them.
Why? Did you really ask why?

Time for another Wolkster Top 10... (Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in. - The Godfather and The Wolkster)

The Wolkster's Top 10 reasons why any ASLer should strive to memorize the 1 FP thru 20 FP on the IFT and the CC chart including H-t-H.

10. It impresses the babes.
9. ASLers around you at tourneys nod knowingly when you call out the correct result when the dice are rolled.
8. Tourney directors gives you discounts. "Hey 1-20 what up?"
7. (Can only think of nine, skip this one)
6. It speeds up the game.
5. If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge... err, if you can memorize a chart you can memorize more detailed ASL stuff.
4. There's a 1-20 club. We laugh at the 1-8 club.
3. It rattles your opponent. "Wow, this guy knows his sh!t."
2. Charts are for losers.

And the #1 reason why we memorize the 1-20 FP on the IFT and CC chart with H-t-H,

1. First born and 8-1 leaders get named after you.

Last edited:

Brad M-V

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I got a 9-1, although to be fair it was in the SKEP which makes it less than an 8-1 in all likelihood. -- jim
They are exactly the same counter quality & colour regardless of what system they come in, so you are definitely an ASL'er. Not only that, but you are an ASL'er who has been honored with an official counter! You bastage!! A 9-1 LT. leader counter, damn, I'm jealous!!! ;-)

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
They are exactly the same counter quality & colour regardless of what system they come in, so you are definitely an ASL'er. Not only that, but you are an ASL'er who has been honored with an official counter! You bastage!! A 9-1 LT. leader counter, damn, I'm jealous!!! ;-)
The best part: I outrank Fortenberry. I finally beat him dammit. -- jim

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why? Did you really ask why?

Time for another Wolkster Top 10... (Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in. - The Godfather and The Wolkster)

The Wolkster's Top 10 reasons why any ASLer should strive to memorize the 1 FP thru 20 FP on the IFT and the CC chart including H-t-H.

10. It impresses the babes.
9. ASLers around you at tourneys nod knowingly when you call out the correct result when the dice are rolled.
8. Tourney directors gives you discounts. "Hey 1-20 what up?"
7. (Can only think of nine, skip this one)
6. It speeds up the game.
5. If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge... err, if you can memorize a chart you can memorize more detailed ASL stuff.
4. There's a 1-20 club. We laugh at the 1-8 club.
3. It rattles your opponent. "Wow, this guy knows his sh!t."
2. Charts are for losers.

And the #1 reason why we memorize the 1-20 FP on the IFT and CC chart with H-t-H,

1. First born and 8-1 leaders get named after you.
Ya know, "The Wolkster" talking in the third person kinda worries me. "The Wolkster" isn't telling you to burn down stuff is he?