What Constitutes being an ASL Player?

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What does it mean to be an Advanced Squad Leader Player?
I am not sure. I want to know. That is why I am asking.
I have known individuals who fit each of these descriptions. I'm sure you have too.

1. Are you an ASLer if you own only the ASLRB and play only once biannually?
  2. Are you an ASLer if you own all the official products and play one scenario per year?
  3. Are you an ASLer if you only play ASL at ASLOK?
  4. Are you an ASLer if you have not played since ASLOK 2016?
  5. Are you an ASLer if you play only ASL Starter Kit?
  6. Are you an ASLer if you do not play HASLs?
  7. Are you an ASLer if you only play ASL on VASL?
  8. Are you an ASLer if you play only one time per month?
  9. Are you an ASLer if you only own the system through Croix de Guerre and play monthly?
  10. Are you an ASLer if you own and purchase all official ASL products, but have not played for 2 years?
  11. Are you an ASLer if you own all official ASL products, but have never played ASL?
  12. Are you an ASLer if you only get to play when your mommy lets you?
  13. Are you an ASLer if you played 10 years ago and quit, but still purchase official ASL products?
  14. Are you an ASLer if you played regularly 10 years ago, but never intend to play again?

Last edited:

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
This seems needlessly complex. You are an ASL player if you are currently playing ASL (in whatever form). "Currently" meaning whatever you want it to mean, but generally: you can remember the last time you played, you have expectations of playing again in the not-distant future, you have made no declarations (public or private) that you don't want to play ASL any more.

You were an ASL player if you used to play ASL, but you don't play any more, and there's no expectation of that changing. The particular reasons for not playing any more are not important.

You will be an ASL player if you've never played to date, but you want that to change.

You are not an ASL player if none of the above conditions apply (i.e., you've never played, and you never intend to play).

Many of the options in Evan's list are kind of stupid, and a few of them are outright offensive. More to the point -- why even ask the question in the first place? People who are ASL players know that they're ASL players, and don't care. People who don't play ASL care even less. It seems like an attempt to define an ASL "caste system" -- because needless prejudice is something we need more of in the world, I suppose.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
This to me sums up ASL, and how sometimes folk get to wrapped up in what ASL is all about, or not as the case may be.

who gives a toss, if you play ASL, you play ASL, does not matter if you play it well, or badly, as long as you enjoy it, does not matter if you are an elite Grognard who looks down on new ASL players (lots of that going on around here), or a new player just taking your first steps into the world of ASL, does not matter if you own just the ASLRB and play via VASL with scenario borrowed from a friend, Hell I do not care if you own the RB and have made your own ASL kit from scratch, as long as you are playing it and attempting to learn it, you may take a break from it, you may lighten your play load or involvement in ASL, but you are still an ASL player or ASLer.
Our way of war gaming is old school, in the big scheme of things there are not that many about, ASL even less.
I hate the current elitist approach in ASL, if you play ASL then it is simply a game you like and you can call yourself the grand Muff tee of lala land for all I bloody care, as long as you enjoy it and are not a jerk, go you ahead.

Here is a counter question, I own I would say 70% of what MMP has put out for ASL, roughly 25% what CH has and BFP and LFT I would put at 40% & 60% respectively, I have been back into ASL as one of my war games for roughly 3 years now, I like the game a lot, but I have other game interests, like L2 design groups version of Streets' of Stalingrad, GMT games Panzer and MBT, I have not played any real serious ASL since last October, I will play ASL again this year, but at the moment have other interests on my gaming table, Does this make me an ASLer or just someone who owns ASL as part of their board war games collection? I know the answer to this straight away, who the F cares, I enjoy the game and take it for what it is, a game, a bloody good one yes, but a game none the less.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[/QUOTE]

I know the answer to this straight away, who the F cares, I enjoy the game and take it for what it is, a game, a bloody good one yes, but a game none the less.[/QUOTE]

That about sums it up for me too.

jwoodall04

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Definitive answers, hope this helps you in your quest.

What does it mean to be an Advanced Squad Leader Player?
I am not sure. I want to know. That is why I am asking.
I have known individuals who fit each of these descriptions. I'm sure you do too.

1. Are you an ASLer if you own only the ASLRB and play only once biannually? Yes.
  2. Are you an ASLer if you own all the official products and play one scenario per year? Yes.
  3. Are you an ASLer if you only play ASL at ASLOK? Yes.
  4. Are you an ASLer if you have not played since ASLOK 2016? Not enough information.
  5. Are you an ASLer if you play only ASL Starter Kit? Yes.
  6. Are you an ASLer if you do not play HASLs? Not enough information.
  7. Are you an ASLer if you only play ASL on VASL? Yes.
  8. Are you an ASLer if you play only one time per month? Yes.
  9. Are you an ASLer if you only own the system through Croix de Guerre and play monthly? Yes.
  10. Are you an ASLer if you own and purchase all official ASL products, but have not played for 2 years? Not enough information.
  11. Are you an ASLer if you own all official ASL products, but have never played ASL? No.
  12. Are you an ASLer if you only get to play when your mommy lets you? Not enough information.
  13. Are you an ASLer if you played 10 years ago and quit, but still purchase official ASL products? Not enough information.
  14. Are you an ASLer if you played regularly 10 years ago, but never intend to play again? No.

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Many of the options in Evan's list are kind of stupid, and a few of them are outright offensive. More to the point -- why even ask the question in the first place? People who are ASL players know that they're ASL players, and don't care. People who don't play ASL care even less. It seems like an attempt to define an ASL "caste system" -- because needless prejudice is something we need more of in the world, I suppose.
Maybe the Forums should have a "trigger" warning option when posting.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I agree with Mr Probst.

If you do not fit one of his first three qualifications, you are not an ASL player. anything else - form SK only to Festung Budapest CG only and everything in between - you are an ASL player.

aiabx

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
People who play ASL are ASL players. Everyone gets to decide for themselves what they mean by "play". It seems pretty simple to me.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He left out a real ASL'er is one who has over a dozen RB CG's under his belt.

Scott
People who play ASL are ASL players. Everyone gets to decide for themselves what they mean by "play". It seems pretty simple to me.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If women look at you like you are infected with the plague, you may be an ASL player.
If family members say, "look at the time, gotta go," when you are recounting a Critical Hit that generated a Hero and a Berserk squad, you may be an ASL player.
If VBM freeze upsets you, you may be an ASL player.
If you don't use the IIFT, you're only kidding yourself.

JR

Last edited:

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
That would make RSD an ASL player... o_O:D
Well, he's an ASL something, certainly. If we agree that ASL is a living entity, and all living entities need an excretory system ... there's no reason to celebrate it though.

"I've taken some photos of my arsehole. Would you like to see them?"

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the can of worms. ;)

Nice question BTW....

I can see it now... "If your idea of fun is punishing yourself with a grueling multi-day match over an incredibly complicated game in a room with others of a similar bent, as the funk-smell slowly permeates the essence of everything in the room over the course of a weekend - you MIGHT be a real ASL player!!"......

Where's Jeff Foxworthy when you need him

:)