What boardgames have you played recently?

Tork

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Carcassonne (with only one or two of the additions--last time we had the dragon in there we all played 'nice' and didn't eat up all the meeples...)
Fluxx and Zombie Fluxx
Wings of War
Halo3 and Oblivion on the XBox

Second the desire for an updated version of Kremlin. My copy was heavily used during grad school days and shows it now...

Fred Ingram

Average Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scrabble probably every other night (anyone know of a strip scrabble variant ???)

Just kidding

being a newlywed, of course games do not take all my waking hours

And the strip version aint necessary :smoke:

maxwelk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Guadalajara - the Joe Monk version

I punched out the counters and set up the game.

I read the standard rules and the campaign-specific rules.

I found the errata - at least one of which would have caused real difficulties in playing the game - and scribbled them into the rule books.

I read the rules again.

I then realized I still had precious little idea of how I was going to kick my ass in this campaign, which had been decorating my lonely gaming table for almost a year, which had replaced Primisole Bridge of the previous year, which had replaced an old CH Iraq-1914 game from the year before that, so I replaced it with VotG. Perhaps things will be different this time, although they pobably won't. Long Live VASL.

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"Ticket to Ride" with the girlfriend and her oldest daughter and friend. I lost again and still haven't won in the dozen games we've played. I've been tempted to look up strategy hints for it, but i realize how pathetic that would be having to get help to beat an 11 year old.

Other than that, my last non-ASL game was "Here I Stand" with a bunch of ASLers--hey Bob Miller, Fritz, and Todd--back in January. My crafty Hapsburgs won, edging out the French. Great multiplayer game with the only downside being that it takes a good 10 hours to play.

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A Victory Lost
Lord Of The Rings Online
World of Warcraft Online
Age of Empires 3

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A Victory Lost
Lord Of The Rings Online
World of Warcraft Online
Age of Empires 3
I played Lord of the Rings online and it was alot of fun, unfortunantly, I'm a solo type of player and in LotR, you need to form up a fellowship to overcome some of the more nastier creatures in that game.

Scott

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played Lord of the Rings online and it was alot of fun, unfortunantly, I'm a solo type of player and in LotR, you need to form up a fellowship to overcome some of the more nastier creatures in that game.

Scott

I've managed to complete all of chapter one with pugs.
So far have avoided a formal fellowship. Most of the stuff can be done solo.
My level 21 captain is soloing level 26 mobs..

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States

Scott
I lost interest in WoW for the same reason. Plus I don't like the direction the game took when it became obvious that pretty much every content update was going to be for new high-level raid dungeons.

Exploring the world and completing quests at low to mid level was fun while it lasted. After that... meh.

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I lost interest in WoW for the same reason. Plus I don't like the direction the game took when it became obvious that pretty much every content update was going to be for new high-level raid dungeons.

Exploring the world and completing quests at low to mid level was fun while it lasted. After that... meh.
That's why I only have one level 70...I have more fun playing lower level toons...

nebel

Share and Enjoy
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
My recent non-ASL list:

AH - Up Front
Steve Jackson Games - Super Munchkins - hilarious satire of everything geeky

Chameleon

Purveyor of Cacaphony
Reaction score
In the last couple of weeks:

Dirtside II
Federation Commander
Babylon 5 Wars
ATS Toktong Pass (solitaire, still underway on my desk at home)

Rgirish

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, since I have spent the last several months trying to re-learn ASL, it has dominated my table. Before that, I did play most of the campaign game from War and Peace (until some family members decided to cause a mini-earthquake acorss the map of Europe).

Wik

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still campaigning through Ambush, the rest of my gaming time has been absorbed by Civilization 4 (plus expansions.)

swellington

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
World in Flames final edition w / days of decision

and for computer masterbation ive played : Company of heroes, civilization 4,battlefield 1942 online.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>Just got done playing Arkham Horror and I am impressed. The components are top notch and is actually alot of fun to play.

Make sure you get the Dark Pharoh expansion. It doubles the site cards, so you're not doing the same ones over and over. Highly recommended. The other expansions just add time to the game. Anyone besides me think that Fantasy Flight does too many expansions?

Games played recently:

Khet - cool chess-like game with lasers
Alhambra - my twins favorite
Pandemic - the game kicked our butts
History of the Roman Empire - History of the World set in the Med.
Settlers of the Stone Age

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have you ever played Flames of War? It's a 15mm WW2 game that has a scale very similar to ASL.vehicles are 1:1 and infantry are grouped on stands kinda like half squads.
My impression as a novice miniature player is that many hard core players look upon "FoW" like we ASL players used to regard "Magic". I personally like their concept, just do not want to invest the money into their miniatures although I own most of the manuals.
FoW is designed to be, and is, Warhammer for WWII. As such, it's a fun game, full of rules that add color without adding much complexity; it's not much of a simulation; and it's structured in a way that's designed to Sell. Lots. Of. Stuff.

My local gang is or has been playing:
SCS Guadalajara
Roads to Leningrad
Devil's Den (the old AH game)
Circus Minimus

Tonight we're trying:
Field of Glory (Medieval miniatures)

For filling in gaps we've recently played:
Command & Colors
Carcassone

Meanwhile, at home on the computer I've been indulging in a major addiction with the old city-building game "Pharaoh" (Egyptian version of "Caesar III"). Before that it was CMBO.

John