What boardgames have you played recently?

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Some Madden and some Grand Theft Auto on PS2.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
Raid on St. Nazaire, and AgeOd's American Civil War (AACW).

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
[Have you ever played Flames of War? It's a 15mm WW2 game that has a scale very similar to ASL.vehicles are 1:1 and infantry are grouped on stands kinda like half squads.
/QUOTE]

My impression as a novice miniature player is that many hard core players look upon "FoW" like we ASL players used to regard "Magic". I personally like their concept, just do not want to invest the money into their miniatures although I own most of the manuals.

I think every ASL player needs to visit a major miniatures event to see the same dedication, fanaticism and historical acumen that we bring to ASL.

klsmith

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played Wings of War (for the first time) last evening with my S.O. It was great. She liked liked; I liked it. The minis were pretty. She shot down the Red Baron on the first shot of the game, so I played 1 against 2 for the next 3 hours (of what should probably be a 20 minute game). Nice little series.

2 Bit Bill

комиссар рыба
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Civ3
Cross of Iron(Close Combat)
Strat-O-Matic Baseball
NLOS Cannon Challange

L'Emperor

WorldConquest, In40mChunks
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Stratego with my 5 year old daughter.

Awaiting The Devil's Couldron.

Bigkayeh

Court Jester of absurdity
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thinking about playing Raid on St. Nazaire today while I'm snowed in.
I ve been playing it using Vassal. I really like being able to play it and leave "set up" digitally and not have to have the counters laying around to get lost. Still it is nice to drag out the physical map and have the tactile feel every now and then.

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Civ3
Cross of Iron(Close Combat)
Strat-O-Matic Baseball
NLOS Cannon Challange
My buddy I told you about went up to Chicago last week to play the WS. He won it in 5 games with little trouble. That's his 3rd in the last 4 years. :hurray:

Went back up there Thursday for their 2008 draft.
Here's their webpage if you want a look: http://www.rochellestrat.com/

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
NBS Salamanca
Moscow '41 (Panzer Campaigns)
Smolensk '41 (Panzer Campaigns)
Talonsoft's Waterloo
Civ 4: Beyond the Sword
Talonsoft's West Front (the "Red Berets" scenario in preparation for TDC)
Katamari

Tompy

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Go

Just got back from a tournament. I'm wiped.

Brien Martin

Panthera oncia
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just (and I really mean just) got done playing Replay Basketball (doing a 1973-74 ABA mini-season replay ... San Diego over Carolina, 114-104).

Have been playing a lot of Replay Basketball, and will generally play a lot of Replay Baseball during the summer. Played Munchkins yesterday over lunch with co-workers, and have been playing a little Santa Fe Rails.

Also playing in the 23rd week of a potential 29-week PBEM game of Close Action (with guys like JR Tracy, Steve Pleva, and Kevin Graves) ... making some newbie mistakes, but also helping my French mates put the hurtin' on the British (we're up by over 300VP with one definite turn left, and up to 1d6 additional turns after that).

Brien

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Close Action - The game Brien mentions above. I'm the French admiral. I made a huge communication error early, but we were still able to pound the British dearly. Only 27 straight CH's can put them back in the game. (insert emoticon here)
Race for the Galaxy - Euro that is essentially San Juan on steroids. Fun, fast game. Still tinkering with a few house, er, unofficial optional rules.
Roma - Another super fast euro. Games take anywhere between 10-45 minutes usually. The game choices are good. Neat little system.
Shogun - This uses the same system as Wallenstein. Have to like any game that comes with its own tower. The tower is used to resolve conflicts. Dump colored cubes in the top, some come out, some stay in and some new ones pop out that were stuck before. Genius.
Red Star Rising - My new favorite playable strategic east front game. The asymmetrical SOP works like a charm.
War of the Ring - Awesome game that simultaneously portrays Sam and Frodo trying to spike the ring while Sauron and Saruman are trying to lay waste to the good people of Middle Earth. We play 4 player teams and it is a blast.

Steve

Harold

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Strat-O-Matic Baseball. Currently replaying the 1951 World Series.
Great Battles of History. Currently replaying Utica.
Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage
Command and Colors

I have only played one ASL scenario in the last 13 months and that was an SK scenario, Retaking Vierville. Nice thing is it went down to the very end.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
I've been teaching my 5 year old students how to play "Hey, That's my Fish".

Other than that, it's been at least a year since I played "Britannia" (FFG version).

Less by choice, more by the strains of reality.

Speaking of non-ASL games, is anyone planning to do a re-make of Kremlin?
That has to be one of the funniest games I ever played.

John.