What boardgames have you played recently?

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We are prepping for a FTF via VASSAL module game of "Firepower" for next Tuesday - Ambush scenario, I'll be walking into a LRP ambush at night with 2 squads of NVA regulars - should be a blast. Timing is set for 1400-1700 EST on Tuesday, 1/15/19 - if anyone wants to check it out - :) Jackson Kwan will be adjudicating the match. Discord is being used for voice comms.

KRL, Jon H

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Zug and I ran 2 and a half turns of scenario 2 Ambush on Tuesday afternoon. The NVA regulars really suffered at the hands of the LRPs accurate grenades and an out of nowhere lucky scatter hit from a Blooper round - with one squad's morale broken and the other down to 7 effectives out of 10 entering - with only the LRP squad leader down as a casualty and a LRP trooper pinned in his foxhole and another LRP trooper with a flesh wound to the arm - it looks like the NVA got their work cut out to survive or take down the rest of the LRPs before they can cut and run on the next turn for VPs. ( the scen is 3 full turns + one "bonus move" turn at the beginning.)

Fun to get back into AH's Firepower. Good stuff.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Zug and I ran 2 and a half turns of scenario 2 Ambush on Tuesday afternoon. The NVA regulars really suffered at the hands of the LRPs accurate grenades and an out of nowhere lucky scatter hit from a Blooper round - with one squad's morale broken and the other down to 7 effectives out of 10 entering - with only the LRP squad leader down as a casualty and a LRP trooper pinned in his foxhole and another LRP trooper with a flesh wound to the arm - it looks like the NVA got their work cut out to survive or take down the rest of the LRPs before they can cut and run on the next turn for VPs. ( the scen is 3 full turns + one "bonus move" turn at the beginning.)

Fun to get back into AH's Firepower. Good stuff.
Firepower is like ASL zoomed in. There's no less chaos but probably more (obvious) cardboard violence (HEAD shot!!).

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FTF game of GMT Holland '44 with my friend John Onstott. We are currently on turn 13 start.

His Germans are trying to pound on 1st AB but they have been putting up stout resistance using Determined Defense and still hold the bridge at Arnhem. Monty has finally relieved 82AB but Germans hold Nijmegen bridge and 406th Division still a thorn in my side attacking flanks of Groesbeek area. Eindhoven is secure, Germans are about to get bottled up around Hertgenbosch,and they are trying to build up secondary line around Erp to threaten Hell's Highway around Veghel as well as protect Overloon/Venray area.

Great operational level game with just enough chrome to capture overall feel of Market Garden.

7414 7415 7416 7417

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anybody play MMP's Line of Battle CW games?

Ric of The LBC

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
FTF game of GMT Holland '44 with my friend John Onstott. We are currently on turn 13 start.

His Germans are trying to pound on 1st AB but they have been putting up stout resistance using Determined Defense and still hold the bridge at Arnhem. Monty has finally relieved 82AB but Germans hold Nijmegen bridge and 406th Division still a thorn in my side attacking flanks of Groesbeek area. Eindhoven is secure, Germans are about to get bottled up around Hertgenbosch,and they are trying to build up secondary line around Erp to threaten Hell's Highway around Veghel as well as protect Overloon/Venray area.

Great operational level game with just enough chrome to capture overall feel of Market Garden.

View attachment 7414View attachment 7415View attachment 7416View attachment 7417
You'll need to make a decision about Elst. :p

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really thought hard about pre-ordering "To Take Washington," but finally decided that I just don't have the time to learn yet another series (especially as GMT's "Empire of the Sun" 3rd printing just arrived a week or two ago). I would love to hear what you think if you take the plunge.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I am having fun with Sword & Sorcery.
Following the excellent Galaxy Defenders, this is a fantasy themed, coop, dungeon crawler.
The enemies have a good AI system, and the same type of enemy comes in different levels of difficulty - and same rank enemies have slight differences.
A lot of factors must be taken into account during combat, but the game is very immersive (a Book of Secrets contains paragraphs pertaining to events occurring during play, with unexpected enemies or choices to make).
The components are very nice.
The campaign works fine - an app allows to record the heroes' progress and gear.
I am having a blast!

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I’ve played a couple of games I’ve never played before recently:

- The super-popular Scythe which I was not terribly impressed with. It’s a resource conversion engine optimisation race, as opposed to the war game suggested by the excellent graphical presentation. Lots of extraneous rules and mechanics, too.

-Here I Stand is a 6 player CDG war game treatment of the early 16th Century. A fantastic experience - hugely enjoyable. This is the only other 10 I’ve given a game, alongside ASL.

KhandidGamera

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I’ve played a couple of games I’ve never played before recently:

- The super-popular Scythe which I was not terribly impressed with. It’s a resource conversion engine optimisation race, as opposed to the war game suggested by the excellent graphical presentation. Lots of extraneous rules and mechanics, too.

-Here I Stand is a 6 player CDG war game treatment of the early 16th Century. A fantastic experience - hugely enjoyable. This is the only other 10 I’ve given a game, alongside ASL.
Did HIS also several years ago w/ full 6 players - very fun. Found unexpected natural alliance as England with France. Paths of Glory and Wilderness War also a lot of fun.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Zeppelin Raider, nicesolo game to while away the hours whilst away from home!

Ed Donoghue

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
I have a buddy who I think plays the LOB series (South Mountain, None But Heroes, Last Chance for Victory), I will contact him & see if I can forward his email, skype contacts

MAS01

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Currently have Tokyo Express from Victory Games on my game table. Working through it and then Carrier in anticipation of Jon Southard's new game on the Battle of the Philippine Sea.

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, I like them a lot. Lots of smaller scenarios. I'd probably start with the original game, None but Heroes - though used the revised rules that are available on the MMP'S site if they aren't included in the hard copy.

Drawbacks are the elevation gradiants can be hard to distinguish, the line of sight rules I find unclear (no pun intended), and I've only played the smaller scenarios so I haven't done much with the operational/strategic command &control rules. Also stacks can get high, particularly with strength counters as well as overall counter density. I tend to prefer VASSL for that reason.

That I bought Last Chance for Victory when it came out was my endorsement. I only haven't bought the latest simply because I don't have time.