What boardgames have you played recently?

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Started playing before you could drive off a bridge or cliff. Mad they nerfed the Bulldog. Took away the 10 round clip. Loved to wreak havoc in the backfield.
I never had much luck with either the lights or heavies. The mediums definitely suit my style of play. Love sniping with my little 57mm armed T-34, hitting the opponent again and again for 80-90 damage each time as he scurries about trying to figure out where it's coming from.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Setting up 9th July scenario for Grognard Simulations Death Ride-Kursk Totenkopf, I will wait to start until the II SS Pz Korps Enhancement pack arrives (3 days maximum) before I actually start as I want to play using the ultimate level of rules from the off. Looking forward to this big time.

Regards

Perry

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does watching part of my 6th hour play SETTLERS OF CATAN TRAILS TO RAILS count? Not a lot of time to roll them bones...
This after playing 17 games of ASL and 2 of RAILWAYS OF THE WORLD in July.

Feast or famine....

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
AH Napoleon's Battles original from way back, and more recently version 4, which has some interesting new features. Version 2 was...unfortunate...and version 3 was way overpriced for my pocket when it didn't really do much that version 1 didn't. Some Napoleonic gamers don't get it because things like divisional batteries and skirmishing are factored in rather than explicitly represented and orders of battle can end up slightly fudged, but for me it hits the sweet spot of flavour vs historic detail vs design for effect, and is a fast yet detailed set of rules for playing our the big battles of the period. The killer feature for me is probably the depiction of generals, which have a wide possible range of "personalities" made up of their ratings for command range, individual initiative, tactical skill and ability to inspire.

ASL1

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saipan: The Bloody Rock .. by Compass Games. Scenarios start you out with a small number of counters
leading up to the CG. Very enjoyable.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Solitaire friendly? (I've been toying with trying the Death Ride series.)
Yes, very solitaire friendly IMHO, dummy wire and mines easy to do, tricky bit is if using the air enhancement package and planning when your air raids and caps etc will be over the battle field for both sides, easy to have clear skies if you want one side to have a free run. What I do is group up my air units and then space the out over the morning air allotment, then write up for both sides 3 possible air plans, roll a d6 and do the 1-2/3-4/5-6 for which plan is used, I.e a roll of 3 or 4 would mean plan 2 is used, do this for both sides and voila, air plan solitaire mode instigated.

Awesome game system.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, very solitaire friendly IMHO, dummy wire and mines easy to do, tricky bit is if using the air enhancement package and planning when your air raids and caps etc will be over the battle field for both sides, easy to have clear skies if you want one side to have a free run. What I do is group up my air units and then space the out over the morning air allotment, then write up for both sides 3 possible air plans, roll a d6 and do the 1-2/3-4/5-6 for which plan is used, I.e a roll of 3 or 4 would mean plan 2 is used, do this for both sides and voila, air plan solitaire mode instigated.

Awesome game system.
Thanks for the additional information. I've got the first version of Death Ride Gross Deutschland (without any of the enhancements) and have been pondering trotting it out and trying to learn it. My interest is piqued in the system with the upcoming releases of Arras and Tarawa.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thanks for the additional information. I've got the first version of Death Ride Gross Deutschland (without any of the enhancements) and have been pondering trotting it out and trying to learn it. My interest is piqued in the system with the upcoming releases of Arras and Tarawa.
Do so,

the system is to my mind very very flexible, and once it hooks you, you are done for. I have not had this much fun with a map and counter game in ages. Worth every penny.

all the best

Perry

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really like Napoleons Battles, but I don't have the space for miniatures, so I have been developing it into a hex based VASSAL module. I am planning on putting it up for download if anybody is interested. I also developed a VASSAL module for AH's Geronimo! Again, not currently up for download.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
I really like Napoleons Battles, but I don't have the space for miniatures, so I have been developing it into a hex based VASSAL module. I am planning on putting it up for download if anybody is interested. I also developed a VASSAL module for AH's Geronimo! Again, not currently up for download.
I'm very interested! I was looking at how it might be done in Vassal, but I've no experience with creating modules. I don't have space for miniatures either (ditto time, skill and money), so I play using the HPS/JTS Napoleonic Battles games scenario editor as a kind of virtual tabletop, with one NB base per hex. Vassal would mean that scenario could be prepared more quickly, though, because my approach involves creating new OOB files, and of course Vassal would bring the possibility of online play. I was even wondering if purpose-built NB geomorphic boards could work in Vassal.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As far as the boards go, I don't have much skill in creating images. What I do, is create a larger picture of the scenario map in the the booklet, and overlay a hex grid on it. Its not perfecr, but it is in my skill range.

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
As far as the boards go, I don't have much skill in creating images. What I do, is create a larger picture of the scenario map in the the booklet, and overlay a hex grid on it. Its not perfecr, but it is in my skill range.
That sounds fine. With the brigade as manoeuvre element, you don't need great detail in the maps. AH themselves didn't provide that much detail in their maps either. Do did you adapt for use with hexes? Is your scale 1 hex = 1 inch? Please post screenshots when you can and let me know as soon as it's available for download.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I made it into more of a hex and counter game in order to attempt to streamline it as well. 1hex=2" However, the units can be manouvered in 1" increments.

Attachments

holdit

Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Nice work. I like how you've made use of the original game counters. It's nice to see the original maps in use too (the NBIV map format isn't nearly as easy to read), although they might look clearer without the deployment information. I was able to clean up the deployment information from a few Age of Eagles scenario maps, so if you'd like me to try that with an NB map as a test, just let me know.

Have you mentioned your project on the NBs Yahoo Group? I'd say people would be very interested.

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Nice work. I like how you've made use of the original game counters. It's nice to see the original maps in use too (the NBIV map format isn't nearly as easy to read), although they might look clearer without the deployment information. I was able to clean up the deployment information from a few Age of Eagles scenario maps, so if you'd like me to try that with an NB map as a test, just let me know.

Have you mentioned your project on the NBs Yahoo Group? I'd say people would be very interested.
I liked the deployment info on the as it makes for easier setup. But thats a matter of personal preference. If you can clean them up though, I can put them in the module as another option. I didn't know there was a NB yahoo group. I'll have to check it out.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Windows Steel Panthers WW2 by Shrapnel Games or WinSPWW2 (mostly just call it SPWW2).

Best tactical ASL like wargame out there for the PC.