What boardgames have you played recently?

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been playing Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle with the fam. They're all Potter addicts and loving it.

Also played a bit of Pandemic. Thinking about getting Pandemic Legacy for Fam...

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been playing Chess with my neighbour.
The best wargamer line I've read about chess was something to the effect of, "Interesting game. It's a shame there's only one published scenario." :D (I'd give credit to whomever said it originally, but Google isn't turning up anything promising.)

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
The best wargamer line I've read about chess was something to the effect of, "Interesting game. It's a shame there's only one published scenario." :D (I'd give credit to whomever said it originally, but Google isn't turning up anything promising.)
One line I read said something like "It's too serious to be a game and too frivolous to be a profession".

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The 4th member of our Pandemic Legacy group couldn't make it, so Saturday night I played Nations with fellow ASLers and GSquaders James and Rob. Nations is a Civ type game played over 4 eras with Wars, building Wonders, taking over Colonies and building Resources within your own territory. Excellent game with 3 players. Highly recommended for a group of 3 warmongers, not so much for families and friends. Both guys want to play it again soon, as do I.

Joined a euro gaming group which plays Tuesday nights. Last night we played Pillars of the Earth. It's an older game that's getting reprinted in 2017, so I wanted to show some of them how to play, so they could decide if they wanted to buy it when it's released. Both guys are going to buy it. It's a really good and highly popular worker placement game with lots of theme.

Then we played Dice City with the All That Glitters expansion. It's a pretty cool and fast little dice rolling game. You roll 5 dice and place them on a grid. Whatever you roll is where you place your dice and get that resource/benefit. With the resources you buy cards to place on the spaces on the grid, so you get better stuff and with more cards a better chance to land on them. This would be great for the family and the guy who showed us how to play said it was his 15-year-old daughter's favorite game.

Last edited:

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not if you're Bobby Fischer with his Chess960 variant. He pushed for using this way to play chess instead of the old way. Said it would better test player's skills. Think he had a good point...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess960

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I started a game of Breakout: Normandy over VASSAL a few days ago and have loved it. It's affected my productivity at work: every move feels like the most important move so far. So much tension!

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished a casual X-Wing Miniatures league a few weeks ago. That was fun. We're 1.5 game months into a Pandemic Legacy Season 1 campaign. Played a few games of Asmodes "Nations" which is fun though it can be damn near impossible to recover from early blunders.

By far the game I've been playing the most recently is "King of Tokyo" with my 5 year old son. What a blast.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Loads more Panzer as of late, just got hold of MBT so am designing a load of maps with Hexdraw to do a campaign cover Team Yankee from Harold Coyles excellent book of the same name, also been doing a CG for Streets of Stalingrad, finished a few OST scenario (love the lightness of this game), set up Avalon Hills mega The Longest Day in VASSAL.

Really been sucked in by the Panzer bug, awesome game IMHO, MBT is gonna be more of the same but with APFSDS added for good measure.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Loads more Panzer as of late, just got hold of MBT so am designing a load of maps with Hexdraw to do a campaign cover Team Yankee from Harold Coyles excellent book of the same name, also been doing a CG for Streets of Stalingrad, finished a few OST scenario (love the lightness of this game), set up Avalon Hills mega The Longest Day in VASSAL.

Really been sucked in by the Panzer bug, awesome game IMHO, MBT is gonna be more of the same but with APFSDS added for good measure.
Yes, Can't wait for the Bunderwehr, BAOR and French modules later this year!

antiochuss

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Can't find what I want so am designing a combined arms game set in 2017-2020'Limited war east versus west,with some insurgency.The idea is you can't defeat insurgents,only drive them into enemy territory or to Suez destabilizing the control of the canal putting it players insurgents hands.1/1200 mini ships,AFV aircraft on a grid..

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

I really enjoyed playing MBT years ago (I wish I hadn't sold it!). I'm still keeping an eye out for it's spin-off, IDF.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Yes, Can't wait for the Bunderwehr, BAOR and French modules later this year!
Is there a set date for BAOR and FRG yet? and what about the France 40 module? I hope they are out sooner rather than later. I have to admit Panzer and MBT are my go to games now (SoS 3rd Ed is always set up on my second table, and loads of VASSAL OST as well).

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I really enjoyed playing MBT years ago (I wish I hadn't sold it!). I'm still keeping an eye out for it's spin-off, IDF.
I got my copy for £40 brand new from E-bay, only just out of the shrink wrap, unpunched and such, so I was very lucky, my whole Panzer collection cost me a grand total of £120 so am very happy with that.