What boardgames have you played recently?

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
How fun!

With all the cool Star Wars, space, Star Trek, etc games (see also Space Cadets: Away Missions) with loads of miniatures, maps and other goodness, you will have access to so many more resources than when my group played it 35 years a go.
That's a good thing. Time seems much more limited these days for prep...

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi Paul,

thanks for the heads up and tips etc, I am still awaiting my game to come through, but am playing with the VASSAL module to get to grips with the game (a lot more complex than the Nova games version).
I am on German game Turn 1 (29th Sept) phase 7 (German Exploit Movement Phase) and am just starting to appreciate how much more complicated and involved SoS is compared to FotV or BftF by Nova games.
what mods have you done to the VASSAL module?
and would you be interested in kicking off a scenario of your choice once I have got the basics down?

all the best

Perry
Could do. I'd suggest the tournament scenario, about half the units of the full GE scenario.
VASSAL Mods:
1. Opponents can 'unhide' units of the opposing player. Essential for solitaire VASSAL
2. Information counters can now be 'cloned'
3. Counters can be rotated 90 degrees
4. Sorted counters by nationality, information etc. This is still a WIP (each counter has to be moved individually from folder to another, it is going to take a while...), although most information counters are now easier and much quicker to locate in their own tabbed windows. The tray is great for reinforcements, but not very user friendly beyond that for those more familiar with standard VASSL structures. Bear in mind that the module was ported from ADC, fantastic job BTW. I'm just fine tuning.
5. All charts including TPP extras are now available in their own windows.

Cheers

Paul

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Could do. I'd suggest the tournament scenario, about half the units of the full GE scenario.
VASSAL Mods:
1. Opponents can 'unhide' units of the opposing player. Essential for solitaire VASSAL
2. Information counters can now be 'cloned'
3. Counters can be rotated 90 degrees
4. Sorted counters by nationality, information etc. This is still a WIP, although most information counters are now easier and much quicker to locate in their own tabbed windows. The tray is great for reinforcements, but not very user friendly beyond that for those more familiar with standard VASSL structures. Bear in mind that the module was ported from ADC, fantastic job BTW. I'm just fine tuning.
5. All charts including TPP extras are now available in their own windows.

Cheers

Paul

Is that on VASSAL then Paul, I have the standard SoS VASSAL module and have not noticed any of the above.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Is that on VASSAL then Paul, I have the standard SoS VASSAL module and have not noticed any of the above.
No, the standard VASSAL won't have any of the above. I made the mods for my own use to ease the admin burden when I played my recent Skype game.

I'll send you a copy :)

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The mods are only on my PC version. I've sent you a drop box link. As noted the counter sort is a WIP. But it doesn't affect play.

Enjoy

Paul

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Argent: The Consortium. Wow, just wow. Level 99 games publishes the most deluxe games I've ever seen. Their components are amazing and they insure that their games are highly replayable. Argent is about magic and wizards. The dean of Argent (Dumbledore) is retiring and you are doing everything in your power to become the next dean of the school (Hogwarts). You must convince 10 different voters to vote for you while other players are doing the same. Wow. Gorgeous and a fun, fun game.

I searched Level 99 games and found BattleCON: Devasation of Indines. It arrived 2 days ago. If you loved the old fighter video games of old like Street Fighter, Tekken or Mortal Combat, but were too slow or sucked at it like me, this is the game for you. There's NO LUCK and it's all tactical. It includes 30 different fighters, with absolutely gorgeous components. The battle system is brilliant and intuitive. The BFP of euro games.

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was game/beer night at the Wolkster's place tonight We played a couple of games of Pandemic, which I had never played (prepping for a game of Pandemic Legacy), and Khemit w/ the Ta-Seti Expansion. Uber fun.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It was game/beer night at the Wolkster's place tonight We played a couple of games of Pandemic, which I had never played (prepping for a game of Pandemic Legacy), and Khemit w/ the Ta-Seti Expansion. Uber fun.
That was a lot of fun. I really like Pandemic, but still not sure how to beat it in 'normal' mode.

R Hooks

Smoke Break brb
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I play Mech-Warrior Online almost every day, friend "Lance Urban" if you play, it's getting better all the time if you played in the past:cool:

Srynerson

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Haven't played it yet, but I've been drooling over my copy of Black Orchestra, which was just delivered yesterday. It's a cooperative 1-5 player game concerning the conspiracies to assassinate Hitler. I'm trying to decide if I want to take it to the family Thanksgiving dinner this week (which would be the only way I'd be likely to find 4 other people to play it FTF), but I probably won't have time to do a full play-through myself before then, so I might sadly skip it. (ETA: Sorry for the size of the picture.)

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Terraforming Mars, Warmachine/Hordes, Star Wars: Rebellion

Randy Strader

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Since August: Labyrinth, Wing Leader, Ukraine '44, Kawaguchi's Gamble, Pax Porfiriana, What Price Glory?, and BCS The Last Blitzkrieg (multiple scenarios). The latter is highly recommended to ASLers who may have tried OCS for something higher than squad/tactical but needed something a little more exciting.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
How fun!

With all the cool Star Wars, space, Star Trek, etc games (see also Space Cadets: Away Missions) with loads of miniatures, maps and other goodness, you will have access to so many more resources than when my group played it 35 years a go.
Why back in my days, we didn't have these translucent dice in all the different colors. We had to fill in the numbers with the wax crayon that came with the set. And none of this two -day free shipping from Amazon, either. WE had to walk up to Woolworth's in the snow, three miles uphill. Both ways.

Kids today don't know how easy they have it. :(

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saturday played Cavemen: Quest for Fire and Istanbul (Another favorite for 5 players) . Last night played Guillotine, Code Names Undercover, and Colt Express.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
WE had to walk up to Woolworth's in the snow, three miles uphill. Both ways.
Now dang! Moving from home uphill to Woolworth's and than back home uphill again - that is amazing! I imagine the snow must have been falling and piling up rapidly back in the days yonder... :D

von Marwitz