What boardgames have you played recently?

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
So give some intermediates between Pandemic Legacy and the COIN series :) Guess I'll leave them for a year or two!
Good question. I was going to make some suggestions in my original response, but realized I couldn't provide a useful response without stewing on it for a bit.

From my perspective, the objective is to find a game where the level of effort required to learn the game mechanics well enough to effectively apply those mechanics in a competitive manner is enjoyable and not burdensome/frustrating. A lot of factors impact this assessment including game complexity, how well written the rules are, how experienced the players are in general, have any of the players played that specific game before, how enjoyable the theme/subject matter is to the individual player, how cool are the bits/craftsmanship of the game itself.

I'm not really saying anything original here, but rather trying to articulate some of the factors that impact my enjoyment of playing a new game. So, since I don't know what theme/ subject area might be enjoyable to you and your daughter that factor is left out here.

Given all that and a desire for "stepping it up and I'm looking for another non-abstract challenge" while heading toward a COIN capability a couple games come to mind.

Washington's War: Card Driven Game (CDG) where there is a relatively low level of complexity and interaction within the card deck. That is, the cards mostly provide the resources for moving the pieces on the board and there are only a few "event" type cards (none of which are conditional on other cards in the deck). Also, both players draw from the same deck. The game does a very nice job of introducing the concept of a card driven game mechanics coupled with a set of point-to-point game board mechanics. Plus it teaches a little American War of Independence history along the way.

Twilight Struggle: The next step in a CGD in that the deck complexity is increased by a noticeable level. While both players still draw from a shared deck, there are cards within the deck specific to both players. So, there is an increased emphasis on deck management in that one must learn to exploit cards beneficial to them while mitigating the damage from the enemy cards. Also, the "card angst" is increased because each card consists of both an event and a value that is used to drive each players board position. Typically, the higher the value of the card the more powerful the event. Finally, the deck is broken into three phases, Early, Mid, and Late with some small amount of interaction between the phases. Also, the later the phase, the more one needs to be concerned about their board position in Africa and South/Central America beyond the initial struggles in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. The game does a nice job of providing a historical context for the Cold War.

1989: Dawn of Freedom: The sister game to Twilight Struggle (TS) that has a bit more complexity to it, but covers the Cold War period leading up to the fall of the Berlin Wall in a little more detail than TS.

COIN Series of Games: CDGs designed for up to four players, but with mechanics for playing one, two, and three player options. The additional step in complexity for this series of games doesn't originate from the nature of the card deck, but rather comes from the game mechanic of deciding to what degree a player should utilize each card in order to best enable the conduct of a series of highly interactive actions. Also, one player's choice directly impacts another players' choice of actions, plus the turn order itself has some amount of uncertainty based on card designated turn order and choice of action. Typically, on their turn each player has a choice between playing the event on the card or conducting one or more of a set of semi-unique actions associated with their side. This is compounded by whether to play a limited set of choices (which then limits the next player's options) or an expanded set of actions (which also allows the next player to increase their options). This is all compounded by a set of Victory Conditions that are asymmetric to the opposing players. So, while the cards themselves are mostly no more complex than most moderately complex CGDs, the surrounding game mechanics is where the complexity and challenge comes into this series of games. Initially, one should plan on just pretty much going with the flow in these games in order to find an effective set of strategies for each side. These games do a pretty good job exposing one to various aspects of military and political history.

Although I haven't played them yet, it is my understanding that Wilderness War and Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage are also highly accessible games in the complexity vain of Washington's War.

All of the above are great games in their own right and should serve as nice steps along the way to playing any of the COIN series of games.

If you are after general strategy type games that up the complexity from Pandemic but aren't card driven please just let me know.

Bill

P.S. I've also enjoyed playing Sword of Rome but only in a four or five player mode, so I can't speak to how well (if at all) it plays as a two-player game.

Last edited:

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Wish they would do a Kursk Module, or maybe even a Stalingrad Module.
BAGRATION was a bit baffling as a first entry but makes more sense when one realizes the German OOB was already created in 3-D for that same time period for the Normandy module (both cover the June 1944 to September 1944 time period).

Kursk and Stalingrad both would seem to be more well known and offer some interesting mid-war equipment line-ups. Perhaps they are doing some special factory rules as they had in CMBB, but reengineered for the second gen game engine.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
BAGRATION was a bit baffling as a first entry but makes more sense when one realizes the German OOB was already created in 3-D for that same time period for the Normandy module (both cover the June 1944 to September 1944 time period).

Kursk and Stalingrad both would seem to be more well known and offer some interesting mid-war equipment line-ups. Perhaps they are doing some special factory rules as they had in CMBB, but reengineered for the second gen game engine.
I do hope so, Kursk would be easier to do than Stalingrad, and the 'Grad' could be done afterwards, As making a map of the whole area would be a very time consuming process, kursk would be no easier in the long run, but would lend itself more to the battles scope of Combat Mission.

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

COIN Series of Games: CDGs designed for up to four players, but with mechanics for playing one, two, and three player options. The additional step in complexity for this series of games doesn't originate from the nature of the card deck, but rather comes from the game mechanic of deciding to what degree a player should utilize each card in order to best enable the conduct of a series of highly interactive actions. Also, one player's choice directly impacts another players' choice of actions, plus the turn order itself has some amount of uncertainty based on card designated turn order and choice of action. Typically, on their turn each player has a choice between playing the event on the card or conducting one or more of a set of semi-unique actions associated with their side. This is compounded by whether to play a limited set of choices (which then limits the next player's options) or an expanded set of actions (which also allows the next player to increase their options). This is all compounded by a set of Victory Conditions that are asymmetric to the opposing players. So, while the cards themselves are mostly no more complex than most moderately complex CGDs, the surrounding game mechanics is where the complexity and challenge comes into this series of games. Initially, one should plan on just pretty much going with the flow in these games in order to find an effective set of strategies for each side. These games do a pretty good job exposing one to various aspects of military and political history.
A well written review about the nature of GMT's Vietnam War COIN game Fire In The Lake can be found at http://smallwarsjournal.com/jrnl/art/game-review-fire-in-the-lake-the-vietnam-war-1964-75

Bill

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've managed to get a few scenarios of Combat Commander in over VASSAL/Skype with the famed artist Ken Smith... It is a pleasant, relaxing diversion compared to ASL. It's very nice to be able to FINISH an entire scenario in a short 2-3 hour evening session - which for me is an impossibility in ASL. It's hard to take the game too seriously as there is just so much out of your control. What the victory conditions will be in the end... When the game will actually finish... What draws you'll get from moment to moment.. What your opponents draw will be... So much information is hidden. Certainly the game does a magnificent job modeling the lack of control and information in a battlefield situation. I would say that SMOKE seems vastly overpowered by ASL terms... and can last a LONG time... Then again, it can all be blown away in a puff of air at any moment...

With all of this fortunes change far more rapidly and victory is never a certainty... I managed to win our last meeting largely because of the accumulation of VPs as the time track advanced.. In the end, despite all of the swings of fortune the score ended up a tie with the win only by tie breaker holding the initiative card.

I would say I also appreciate how quickly a game can be thrown together. I feel none of the angst of needing to grok a perfect setup as so much is uncertain from the very first moment.

Fun, but I still prefer ASL by a large margin, but lately ASL is giving me headaches....

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I've managed to get a few scenarios of Combat Commander in over VASSAL/Skype with the famed artist Ken Smith... It is a pleasant, relaxing diversion compared to ASL. It's very nice to be able to FINISH an entire scenario in a short 2-3 hour evening session - which for me is an impossibility in ASL. It's hard to take the game too seriously as there is just so much out of your control. What the victory conditions will be in the end... When the game will actually finish... What draws you'll get from moment to moment.. What your opponents draw will be... So much information is hidden. Certainly the game does a magnificent job modeling the lack of control and information in a battlefield situation. I would say that SMOKE seems vastly overpowered by ASL terms... and can last a LONG time... Then again, it can all be blown away in a puff of air at any moment...

With all of this fortunes change far more rapidly and victory is never a certainty... I managed to win our last meeting largely because of the accumulation of VPs as the time track advanced.. In the end, despite all of the swings of fortune the score ended up a tie with the win only by tie breaker holding the initiative card.

I would say I also appreciate how quickly a game can be thrown together. I feel none of the angst of needing to grok a perfect setup as so much is uncertain from the very first moment.

Fun, but I still prefer ASL by a large margin, but lately ASL is giving me headaches....
Fancy selling your kit!:D

alanlynott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I would say that SMOKE seems vastly overpowered by ASL terms... and can last a LONG time... Then again, it can all be blown away in a puff of air at any moment...
Interesting observations, I was wondering recently if smoke is a little too predictable in ASL. Not that I'm suggesting we need any more chrome! :D

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

I could never really get into Combat Commander. Played a number of scenarios but it left me disappointed every time I played. Too much chaos and not enough tanks for my tastes. WW2 tactical game without tanks? Surely not ;-)

It remains hugely popular though.

Paul

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Interesting observations, I was wondering recently if smoke is a little too predictable in ASL. Not that I'm suggesting we need any more chrome! :D
Yes, like what happens when you miss with a smoke round? It must land somewhere... ;-)

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Still plugging away at 'Streets of Stalingrad' 3rd edition via VASSAL and skype. Not overly complex, but the rules layout, no pictures, makes them feel denser than they perhaps are. The game becomes quite mechanical once inside the city as each player hunts for that elusive extra attack factor to push his attack or defence up a column. ZOCs don't apply in the city so any gaps that appear in the Russian frontline will have disastrous consequences.

We are playing 'The Grain Elevator' which is moderately sized scenario and each turn is taking 3-4 hours to play although as we get to grips with the turn sequence and the nuances of play the turns are speeding up (in line with the shrinking Russian perimeter :OHNO:

Paul

Last edited:

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not played as yet, but bought, just scored a VG copy of GDW Assualt for £10 including P&P! another game system I had back in the day along with Bundeswhere/Chieftain/Boots & Saddles (got to get these as well). the old games library is slowly building up.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I've started to learn OCS and am playing a game of Reluctant Enemies via VASL to start me off. So many games, so little time.......

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Played a few low level scenario from GDW 'Assault' series, Used to own them all back in the late mid 80's (86/7) like it, ASL it is not, but still a fun game and I feel captures the cold war that some of us took part in very well IMHO.
only playing small company task force V Russian advanced guard Battalion stuff at the moment, once I have that down and squared I will move onto some bigger British Battle-group V Russian Regimental fights in Northern Germany.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Played a few low level scenario from GDW 'Assault' series, Used to own them all back in the late mid 80's (86/7) like it, ASL it is not, but still a fun game and I feel captures the cold war that some of us took part in very well IMHO.
only playing small company task force V Russian advanced guard Battalion stuff at the moment, once I have that down and squared I will move onto some bigger British Battle-group V Russian Regimental fights in Northern Germany.
I looked at Assault etc back when I started playing wargames, it seemed to be the thing I was looking for back then, but after I was given SL and moved on to ASL…..well, you know.
I was hoping that MBT would be “modern ASL” when I bought it in the early 1990s but it wasn’t and I only played a few DYOs.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I looked at Assault etc back when I started playing wargames, it seemed to be the thing I was looking for back then, but after I was given SL and moved on to ASL…..well, you know.
I was hoping that MBT would be “modern ASL” when I bought it in the early 1990s but it wasn’t and I only played a few DYOs.
Hi Adam,

I owned all the Assault series just before I joined up in 1988, they sat at home for a long time till I chucked them all out one day!!!, I agree, it is no ASL, but it does a fairly good if not dated way of dealing with a war in Europe in that time frame IMHO.

all the best

Perry

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Currently playing the campaign game from "Siege of Jerusalem" from Avalon Hill. Last time I did this was 25+ years ago.
Took a few turns to get the hang of it again....so different from ASL and many other games in that you want to roll high, not low.
Nice map by Charlie Kibler, although there appears to be one glaring error....due to researchers not looking closely enough at maps of ancient Jerusalem. The game map shows the Mount of Olives just southwest of the ancient city walls. All the maps I have seen of ancient Jerusalem show the Mount of Olives to be due east of the Temple Quarter section of the city. That places this high ground about 3000 meters south of where it should be. The Mount of Offense should be where the game map depicts the Mount of Olives. Small detail, but it does distract from a nice game map.
The game itself is a lot of fun, pitting four Roman Legions led by Titus, against a ragtag assortment of Judeans, Zealots, and local Levis. Game has a nice "feel" to it, portraying the style of siege warfare of that time period. The defenders seem to continually get reinforcements each turn and every Assault Period Rally Phase. (Five Assault Periods in the campaign game, ten turns each). The Romans get some replacements but at a price. The longer they wait between assault periods, the more replacements they get....but the Judeans also get more Victory Points and other benefits...and if they acquire 1500 VP they win. If the five Assault Periods take more than 25 weeks to complete, the Judeans automatically win. They also auto win if the Romans lose more than 400 Victory Points in any one Assault Period. The Romans start with a much stronger force that needs to limit losses while inflicting losses and taking sections of the city. The Judeans kinda remind me of the Japanese in ASL...they just keep coming. You kill them, and more show up. It never seems to end. Just completed the Second Assault Phase. The Romans control two of the ten sections of the city, and have withdrawn from two other sections to regroup. Judeans have just over 500VP in the first two Assault Phases. Romans need to limit their own losses or it looks like the Judeans will get to the magic number of 1500 by game end. Anyway, a fun game an easy to learn game system, and fairly detailed without being overburdened by masses of rules. Highly recommend it.

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
4 player COIN game Cuba Libre Smaller version of the later larger COIN games Fire in the Lake and Distant Plain. Played Cuba a few times now. COIN games are not for everyone but this was a good session.

Then played the Euro: Inca Empire or something like that. Awful. Game box said Inca Empire expansion game; Conqueror, explore and build cities and temples. It was nothing more than a connections-railroad game. With out the choo-choo trains. The more roads that you can connect to the "temple / train station / ice cream stand / fill in the blank" the more points you end up scoring.

I like "theme" to a game. This Inca game like many of the generic Euros sorely lack in a theme. Just a generic point scoring game. Yuck.

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just picked up Star Wars Rebellion. Gave it a solitaire spin, great thematic game, much like War of the Ring comes to Star Wars. You have strategy, tactics, the many Star Wars adventures that give it such great flavor. And the minis are really cool. Death Stars, star destroyers, TIE fighters, X-wings, stormtroopers, rebel troopers, etc. Great map of the Star Wars galaxy with all of the planetary systems you'll recall from all of the various Star Wars movies and TV shows.

Can't wait to get in a FtF playing.

Tom
Tom, curious if you've had a chance to play this ftf? I've been eyeballing it hard.