What boardgames have you played recently?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
World in Flames, anyone know/play this? My son wants to get into this because his friend has some of it. $25 for a platoon of men seems a bit steep to me. I'm trying to get him to try ASL. He is coming with me to the SW Outpost this Sunday.
I have quite a lot of WiF stuff, but have not yet had the time to really play it. Looks interesting, I like the "economics" stuff in it. I believe it is harder to get into than ASL (especially with the SKs around). There is a VASSAL module for WiF (or two) and I have actually seen people playing there. Furthermore, there is a computer-version of it (without AI), which is still (and probably for a while) not free of bugs.

At first glance WiF appears to be on the strategic level what ASL is for the tactical level. This is why I was interested in it.

Depending on which campaign you play, you might need a LOT of table space for the maps.

von Marwitz

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have quite a lot of WiF stuff, but have not yet had the time to really play it. Looks interesting, I like the "economics" stuff in it. I believe it is harder to get into than ASL (especially with the SKs around). There is a VASSAL module for WiF (or two) and I have actually seen people playing there. Furthermore, there is a computer-version of it (without AI), which is still (and probably for a while) not free of bugs.

At first glance WiF appears to be on the strategic level what ASL is for the tactical level. This is why I was interested in it.

Depending on which campaign you play, you might need a LOT of table space for the maps.

von Marwitz
I think the game referred to in the original posting is actually the miniatures game 'Flames of War'. Platoon/Company game. Not cheap... although as an ASL player that last comment is almost irrelevant ;-)

Paul

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Playing 'Streets of Stalingrad' 3rd edition on VASSAL with Skype. very enjoyable. Even been modding the VASSAL module between sessions.

Paul

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I think the game referred to in the original posting is actually the miniatures game 'Flames of War'. Platoon/Company game. Not cheap... although as an ASL player that last comment is almost irrelevant ;-)

Paul
Ah, now the $25 per platoon begin to make sense to me. This "collectible" approach alone would be reason enough for me to avoid it like the plague. $25 for some unpainted scraps of plastic (most likely not pewter these days I assume without double-checking). N/A for vM...

All the best,
von Marwitz

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Paul
When it is me, the "bread winner", ASL is cheap. When it is my son, the hole in my wallet, it is expensive to buy into a new system.

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah, now the $25 per platoon begin to make sense to me. This "collectible" approach alone would be reason enough for me to avoid it like the plague. $25 for some unpainted scraps of plastic (most likely not pewter these days I assume without double-checking). N/A for vM...

All the best,
von Marwitz
Yes, plastic that needs to be painted.

Misterhawk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I had the chance to playtest Fields of Despair and thought it was a really interesting, elegant design. It will be out in August from GMT.

http://www.gmtgames.com/p-473-fields-of-despair.aspx

Bit of a topic change - any recommendations for any WW1 games? For those who have tried them, got any favorites? Scale (strategic/tactical) is not that important. I've just seen a bunch of titles (stuff like Breakthrough Cambrai, Paths of Glory and 1914: Glory's End) and while some look cool some reviews, in particular from people who's board game tastes I can trust, haha, would be great.

Misterhawk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On Tuesday we played first two turns of GMT's Here I Stand, which is sort of an annual tradition at the club. I am once again the Ottomans and have already made an entire game's worth of mistakes. Not pretty ...

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played the latest in the GMT COIN series Liberty or Death: The American Insurrection last Saturday at Gamer's Armory with Scott Blanton (French), Wray Ferrell (Patriots), and Jamey Cribbs (Indians). A thoroughly enjoyable time with Jamey as the most likely winner. Wray and Jamey had given the game a preliminary spin the day before, so there was some familiarity with this specific COIN game and all four of us had played one or more of the other COIN offerings several times, so the learning curve on Liberty or Death rules wise wasn't too steep. Strategy wise, the game was a total learning experience, but a totally fun exercise.

As with the other COIN games, two of the players have similar mechanisms for to earn Victory Points (VPs) that are diametrically opposed to the other two players ability to earn VPs. This COIN plays a little differently than the others as the French side has a more virtual presence before they can earn the ability to enter the war.

I would definitely like to get this out on the table again as one playing is not sufficient to drive out all of the potentially important strategic/tactical interactions among the four sides.

Oh ya, the map board graphics are really spectacular and lend a great feel to the theme.

Bill

Last edited:

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
The problem with World in Flames, for me, is that I don't want to buy another series full of expansions. I've played the game and I think it's good, but I'm going to wait a while before investing.

Europa would be a nightmare to get complete! All of those old magazines, various expansions, and the hard to get base game make it such a nightmare.

Helmseye

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
World in Flames, anyone know/play this? My son wants to get into this because his friend has some of it. $25 for a platoon of men seems a bit steep to me. I'm trying to get him to try ASL. He is coming with me to the SW Outpost this Sunday.
world in flames is simply the best strategic game of WW2 there is. Its a magnificent game. There are many modules like with ASL that add more complexity and units to the game.

Vassal is the place to start with the game if not sure about the investment at this stage.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Playing around with some SFB that I have got back into. Oh and more silent victory/the Hunters sub games.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Played two games last night with some buddies: Memoir '44 and Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt Skullfyre.

Memoir '44 was great fun. Pretty simple game - you use command cards to order specific units in one of the three sections of the map to move/shoot. Most of the challenge of the game comes from not having the right command cards at the right time (max hand size changes per side/per scenario) Its fun, and pretty accessible to the non-war-game loving crowd. It's pretty abstract in terms of its historical accuracy. And while entertaining, it's version of WW2 combat just made me want to play ASL even more.

Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt Skullfyre is fantastic. I have never seen a game get its tone/flair so perfect. Everyone is a wizard, you draw a hand and use that to cast spells to kill other wizards. You are to read out the spells in your best wizard voice. The writing is hilarious and the rounds are very fast (~10 mins max). The game itself is pretty chancy but I have played it many times and never really felt bothered by that. Maybe too lighthearted for a gathering of super-gamers, but great for chilling with friends.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt Skullfyre is fantastic. I have never seen a game get its tone/flair so perfect. Everyone is a wizard, you draw a hand and use that to cast spells to kill other wizards. You are to read out the spells in your best wizard voice. The writing is hilarious and the rounds are very fast (~10 mins max). The game itself is pretty chancy but I have played it many times and never really felt bothered by that. Maybe too lighthearted for a gathering of super-gamers, but great for chilling with friends.
I've played it once and definitely would like to play again. Might even buy it come Christmas.

Okmed

ASL/SK Scout
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Whoa, I was skimming, saw "Duel at Mt Skullfyre," and figured that had to be an ASL scenario, no doubt from my homies at ESG.

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
Played some Magic the Gathering today. Forgot how fun the game can be when you don't obsess over cards and just have fun with it...