What boardgames have you played recently?

SimonC

Reaction score
Country
ll
Nah Simon, RO3 as you call it or Rising Sun as it is known properly did bomb, total load of bollox, but RO2 has been modded to buggery and is so much better, more maps and stuff, there is a map called the 'Univermag' and it is a 100% bang on remake of the area around the Univermag and Stalingrad Railway Staion number 1, it is a rush to play on it, as it is really brutal. and the area looks awesome, the nail fatory is generally fougght over hammer and tong.

try it out again. it is so much better these days, still can not beat ARMA3 but still good.
Ok-will look into it. I think I was playing the original Unreal3 version "Ostfront", which was known as RO2 at the time for reasons I never grasped. Brilliant infantry action and some great tank battles too. Then "Heroes of Stalingrad" came out and I hated it, was a bit of a COD clone and lost all the charm of the previous version. I never realised there was a third version "Rising Storm"?. There was a good West front mod for RO2-"Darkest Hour"-hopefully the community has reinstalled some of the character so many of us loved in Ostfront.

Roy

Living in Brownbackistan
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Currently playing Mike Rose in 'Fire in the Sky'.

I have written up an account of our first actions at my blog http://wargamingwichita.blogspot.com/

Check it out, leave a comment of what you think and thanks for looking.

Last edited:

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played more X Wing miniatures with my son. This game is growing on me. Lots more subtleties and strategy than I orginially gave it credit for. Unfortunately it looks like a lifestyle commitment ( in terms of money) much like ASL. Oh well, I play it with my son, so it's justifiable. :)

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Played more X Wing miniatures with my son. This game is growing on me. Lots more subtleties and strategy than I orginially gave it credit for. Unfortunately it looks like a lifestyle commitment ( in terms of money) much like ASL. Oh well, I play it with my son, so it's justifiable. :)
You're completely right! It has a good competitive scene so I've got into it as well. It's pretty fun and it's not grognard stuff, but I don't have to paint anything and there are always opponents.

Me I've been playing Great Battles of History, as usual. It's the best non-ASL game there is. When I don't feel interested in WW2, it is the one I play.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ok-will look into it. I think I was playing the original Unreal3 version "Ostfront", which was known as RO2 at the time for reasons I never grasped. Brilliant infantry action and some great tank battles too. Then "Heroes of Stalingrad" came out and I hated it, was a bit of a COD clone and lost all the charm of the previous version. I never realised there was a third version "Rising Storm"?. There was a good West front mod for RO2-"Darkest Hour"-hopefully the community has reinstalled some of the character so many of us loved in Ostfront.
You are talking about the original RO or Red Orchestra to give it it's proper nAme, DH or Darkest Hour came out well before RO2 or to give it it's proper names RO2 Heroes of Stalingrad. RO3 as you say is what is known as RS or Rising Sun, RS is toss, RO2 HoS is now very good, very hard when you add the total immersion mods and maps, Tank combat is fast and brutal and thankfully there are only a few maps with more than 1 tank per side or they would dominate.
Infantry combat is so much better now, the MG42 is mental and can create true 'Fire plane's which really dominate.

I recommend it 100%.

Perry

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are talking about the original RO or Red Orchestra to give it it's proper nAme, DH or Darkest Hour came out well before RO2 or to give it it's proper names RO2 Heroes of Stalingrad. RO3 as you say is what is known as RS or Rising Sun, RS is toss, RO2 HoS is now very good, very hard when you add the total immersion mods and maps, Tank combat is fast and brutal and thankfully there are only a few maps with more than 1 tank per side or they would dominate.
Infantry combat is so much better now, the MG42 is mental and can create true 'Fire plane's which really dominate.

I recommend it 100%.

Perry

So I have RO2, do I need to purchase anything else? Where do you play? Is the solo game AI better than the original was?

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
So I have RO2, do I need to purchase anything else? Where do you play? Is the solo game AI better than the original was?
No Jim, if you have RO2 then you are good to go with the Russian front, get a steam account (I assume though you have one) start the game in steam and then the rest is very easy, lots of servers to pick from and very good fire fights. on steam there are loads of mods and add ons that enhance the game no end. If you do not have steam it is easy to affiliate the game with steam and you just launch it through steam as normal.
Solo AI is always going to be a problem, it has been tweeked but ijn the end they are still only AI, no where near as good as ARMA 3 AI with some of the imerssion mods out for that.

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
Played Dixit and Bang! Dice last night with some friends over Ice Cream and Brownies. Have an online game of Shadowrun tonight I'm playing in. Good times...

Babyear

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anyone playing World of Tanks? I have been playing on the Xbox platform since last October. Good multiplayer game for "gettin" old guys like me. If anyone on the forum is playing please let me know.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Anyone playing World of Tanks? I have been playing on the Xbox platform since last October. Good multiplayer game for "gettin" old guys like me. If anyone on the forum is playing please let me know.
Yes I play it on ipad. I enjoy the Leopard for maximum sniping.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Panzer!! damn I am liking this game, I hope GMT reprint it soon so i can get my hands on the real thing as opposed to using Vassal.

Corwin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played SCS Yom Kippur for the first time this weekend at our 1st MN Historical Club. Fun to play a classic hex and counter game again. Been a long time and my first SCS game too. Good historical feel. Ended as a Minor Israeli victory.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I downloaded it a long time ago, and it stayed on my hard drive for about 20 minutes. Just couldn't get into it.

A month ago, sick of seeing all their ads about playing for free, I downloaded/installed War Thunder. I have to admit it was a bit addictive - you basically roll out in a beautifully rendered AFV for 5 or 10 minute shootouts with other players. It was fun at first when the tech was low, and I got good at finding cover, hull-down positions, keyhole spots. Ironically, I think the game models AFV combat better than the supposedly 'realistic' Combat Mission which has ponderous VCA rotation times and abysmal spotting rules.

I started to advance in my tech, up to PzKpfw III and IV, and then I figured that's what they want to do, so eventually I would get caught up in spending real money. The in-game currency for the best upgrades didn't seem cheap to me, and I just decided that since I already pay to play another MMO (fantasy-themed, not military) as well as ASL, I didn't need another time and money sink, so I deleted it from my hard drive after about a month.

But, that's me. It was enjoyable and the graphics are eye-popping. I don't know that the physics model is anything to brag about (i.e. ballistics and damage modelling), and of course you can do all kinds of silly stuff like repair vehicles in seconds. But I enjoyed the challenge of hunting other human players, finding flanking positions, covered approached routes, getting the first shot in, etc. I imagine with a dedicated clan and online communications you could get quite sophisticated with it.

Last edited:

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Spending time with the family playing a variety of boardgames. Mostly Pandemic(very fun game) Dead of Winter(tuff to beat) Bohnanza(fun card game) Manhattan Project, Munchkin(another fun card game) Bang! The dice game, and Coup(fun card game). We also play Wings of War/Glory miniatures, which my wife is very good at and my daughter enjoys to my surprise.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played 'Twilight Struggle' for the first time on Saturday, and can see why it is popular with ASL players. Good game balance, lots of trade-offs and little things that can become big things later in the game.

Saturday night played Classic Clue, Perudo, Bang! The Dice game (Walking Dead edition) and Pairs.

Last night I played Cacao, Blockers and Hanabi.

My cup runneth over. Taking a break this week.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Played 'Twilight Struggle' for the first time on Saturday, and can see why it is popular with ASL players. Good game balance, lots of trade-offs and little things that can become big things later in the game.

Saturday night played Classic Clue, Perudo, Bang! The Dice game (Walking Dead edition) and Pairs.

Last night I played Cacao, Blockers and Hanabi.

My cup runneth over. Taking a break this week.
Twilight Struggle is indeed a great game.

Peace

Roger

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Not a game played, but yesterday saw the arrival of AP's PG Kakoda Campaign and GWAS Central Powers at the Weir cat house.