What boardgames have you played recently?

Okmed

ASL/SK Scout
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also have played about 5 games of Marrying Mr Darcy. Wife is a P+P fan so picked it up for her. Fun quick play game. That Mr Wickham is quite the ladies man (not)
Hmm, we may have to check out Marrying Mr Darcy. Pride & Prejudice is in regular rotation at our house, on the page and on DVD. As are The Hollow Crown (Richard II, 1 & 2 Henry IV, Henry V) and The Importance of Being Earnest. If you're quoting lines back and forth at each other anyway, you might as well be gaming it.

Corwin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played my 1st COIN game last night at the 1st MN Historical Wargame Society, Liberty or Death. I started picking it up a bit at the end after drowning at the the start. Game concept is strong. The system obviously needs to be played a few times to get past the mechanics to reach a level of competent play. Will try it again.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
After a few months break I got back into "Fighting Steel", a by now graphically dated PC game on surface naval warfare. When I bought it it was already a cheap reissue. The graphics are crude to say the least, but the functions and ship/formation commands are still good and what you would expect from real naval warfare.

I have been tempted to get into World Of Warships, simply for the stunning graphics, even if it is basically an arcade game.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played my 1st COIN game last night at the 1st MN Historical Wargame Society, Liberty or Death. I started picking it up a bit at the end after drowning at the the start. Game concept is strong. The system obviously needs to be played a few times to get past the mechanics to reach a level of competent play. Will try it again.
Also played Liberty or Death at our First Minnesota Wargame Society. As a COIN-series enthusiast, I really enjoyed this game. All the COIN Night action here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1533341/gr-22616-gmt-coin-day-extravaganza

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Been playing a lot of Red Orchestra 2 lateley, there is a MOD called 'Total Immersion' and a map based on the Univermag area of the 'Grad' it covers the following area:

View attachment 52624

64 players so 32 per side, realistic game play so really hard, basically a round is putting you down unless it wings you. close combat can be messy and MG 42's rule the streets, they have done a really good job of it.

Perry

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
What is Red Orchestra ? The map looks like an ASL one a lot.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
What is Red Orchestra ? The map looks like an ASL one a lot.
It is a First Person shooter Robin, the map is as you know from VotG I have used it to show the area covered by this one map in the game called 'The Univermag' there are many maps of similar size 320 meters by 680, some are larger (The Red October steel mill is huge), very good fun, especially if you fight as a proper section with MG gunners, riflemen etc.

RevJJ

Malf'ers of the Universe
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a few games of Among the Stars tonight. My first time playing it. We played the standard game the first time and then added the objective and conflict cards for the second game. Very fun.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I have been playing The Hunters recently. A very good solo play for whilst I am working away.hopefully at Heroes in two weeks I get their new one covering American subs in the Pacific., but yesterday I got the latest Vasl loaded up so will be looking for some games of ASL whilst away now.

Randy Strader

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This morning, I had my 3rd stint of the playing the intro scenario to TCS Canadian Crucible. Had avoided the TCS based on internet commentary of its two finicky features: the use of Ops Sheets for command and control, and the (supposedly complex) LOS rules as they interact with contour lines for elevation. Both seem to be easy to manage. TCS seems to model combined arms fairly well, I like the artillery system, as well as the spotting rules. 2016 is my year to really play the MMP backlog on my shelves, and I am enjoying scaling up and down with ASL, TCS, and OCS.

Tysken

Reaction score
Country
llSweden
OCS - the Chir battles (case blue) a good intro for OCS. Now my opponent and I are starting the re-match. We played with the low end SP cap and in the re-match we are going to use the high end SP cap. Will be exciting to see how/if the flow changes. The Russians (me) got a severe mauling the first time. At the same time I am playing the Doppelkopf scenario from Baltic Gap. Not much ASL going in these days.

//Tysken

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Sorted all my Panzer rules and unit cards, looking at playing a medium sized scenario with full rules, might possibly buy this if GMT games release it again, played a small scenario the other month but it did not gel with me, so I think I need to have a go again and see what happens.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Am playing Avalon Hill's Paydirt at work (on Tuesdays and Thursdays, when a lengthy break occurs between classes.

It's taken a while to grasp the charts, but this is a seriously fun game. Very grateful that I was introduced to it........

John.

Toby G.

F.N.G.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Am playing Avalon Hill's Paydirt at work (on Tuesdays and Thursdays, when a lengthy break occurs between classes.

It's taken a while to grasp the charts, but this is a seriously fun game. Very grateful that I was introduced to it........

John.
Love this game bought my first version when I was ten, it was called Sports Illustrated Football then. What year do you play?

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Love this game bought my first version when I was ten, it was called Sports Illustrated Football then. What year do you play?
We are playing our way through the 1980 season. Next up is my KC Chiefs vs Bobby's Chi Bears. Both teams look to have pretty crummy passing attacks, average running attacks, half-decent defenses; think its going to come down to special teams and field position.

Everybody please take your partners for the "Coffin Corner Shuffle"........

John.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Las Vegas ( House variant), Haggis - a card game I think I could really like to play regularly-and then Kingdom Builder.

Then Meg and I played 'Cities' and Sequence.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
A couple of rounds of Silent Victory last night before heading to bed.

SimonC

Reaction score
Country
ll
Been playing a lot of Red Orchestra 2 lateley, there is a MOD called 'Total Immersion' and a map based on the Univermag area of the 'Grad' it covers the following area:

View attachment 52624

64 players so 32 per side, realistic game play so really hard, basically a round is putting you down unless it wings you. close combat can be messy and MG 42's rule the streets, they have done a really good job of it.

Perry
I thought RO2 had died out after RO3 was launched and failed to live up to expectations. I used to love that game, spent hours and hours on it, back when all the roles were in German or Russian (they changed that as it was a bit too hardcore). Is there still much activity?

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I thought RO2 had died out after RO3 was launched and failed to live up to expectations. I used to love that game, spent hours and hours on it, back when all the roles were in German or Russian (they changed that as it was a bit too hardcore). Is there still much activity?
Nah Simon, RO3 as you call it or Rising Sun as it is known properly did bomb, total load of bollox, but RO2 has been modded to buggery and is so much better, more maps and stuff, there is a map called the 'Univermag' and it is a 100% bang on remake of the area around the Univermag and Stalingrad Railway Staion number 1, it is a rush to play on it, as it is really brutal. and the area looks awesome, the nail fatory is generally fougght over hammer and tong.

try it out again. it is so much better these days, still can not beat ARMA3 but still good.