What boardgames have you played recently?

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Played a couple of the smaller scenarios. the basic game is too basic for an ASL player you will be disappointed in the level simplicity. If you feel you can comfortably add the advanced rules in your first playing I'd do so. We never went back to it after those first few games although had always intended to. After 2-3 games it isn't much to base an opinion on but the armour side feels more 'detailed' than ASL, the infantry less so. we didn't get around to adding infantry but given the size of the rules section it clearly contains a fraction of chapter A.

I would definitely play it again. The original core game has been OOP for some time and continues to languish on the GMT P500 reprint schedule despite an rapturous reception when first published. Copies are hard to come by on the secondary market and generally very expensive. Don't even think of getting a copy from the US postage will be astronomical. :crosseye: Huge amount of 'heft value' in the box as all the data cards are on heavy duty card. the Allied module AFV graphics are a bit too 'wishy-washy' and lack sufficient definition for my tastes.

AFV's are on large 1" counters and all are back printed. I eventually stored them in plastic coin pocket pages. One counter a pocket. made sorting for set up a breeze. :smoke:

Paul
Cheers Paul, that was what i was looking for, a good detailed opinion of the game. I have all the stuff downloaded so to be honest as i have it set up on VASL there is no real nned to buy the box set now, even if I could. I have played the first few turns of the Armour game and it was very basic. Not sure if I will invest to much in this little badger as I have clearly got loads on my plate with ASL & Panzer Grenadier to keep me ticking over, and learning Fighting Formation GD.

many thanks for your time

Perry

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
A week or so ago I picked up Dreadnoughts & Battle-cruisers - Jutland Edition and the local game shop on a whim. Inside much to my surprise was a copy of Salvo!

Salvo! is a solitary navy combat game. I have never played physical board games solo so the other night I thought I would give it a go. It was a good time. Quick, very simple (whole game is on one post card piece of cardstock.) I was entertained and would play it again.

Now just need to break out D&B.

Doug Kirk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My 12 year old son has gotten into Star Wars X Wing. Fun little game, love the manuveur aspect.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
My 12 year old son has gotten into Star Wars X Wing. Fun little game, love the manuveur aspect.
If the force is with him, storm-troopers might be breaking down your door soon and AT-STs tampling you flower-beds...

And just in case Jah-Jah shows up and is getting on everyone's nerves: Don't wait for the storm-troopers. Your good ol' 12 gauge will do. Your neighbors will celebrate you.

von Marwitz

Last edited:

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have to admit, I have just got hold of the following Panzer Grenadier Titles from Avalanche press Ltd and before you say it, 'Yes I am gonna burn in Hell:devil:'

1. Heroes of the Soviet Union
2. Eastern front
3. Beyond Normandy
4. Southern front Kursk (got someone at BGG holding it for me)

I have also preordered this little puppy
View attachment 52458
It looks very good and right up my street for company/platoon action.
this is not, I stress NOT a slip down into the darkness, ASL will and is my main game of choice, I just wanted something slightly lighter when I just need to unwind, and can not deal with looking at the IIFT or trying to work out how to do OBA.

Perry

Last edited:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have to admit, I have just got hold of the following Panzer Grenadier Titles from Avalanche press Ltd and before you say it, 'Yes I am gonna burn in Hell:devil:'

2. Eastern front
3. Beyond Normandy

this is not, I stress NOT a slip down into the darkness, ASL will and is my main game of choice, I just wanted something slightly lighter when I just need to unwind, and can not deal with looking at the IIFT or trying to work out how to do OBA.

Perry
I always say "I am married to ASL, but have a few honies on the side" :pIMP:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland

2. Eastern front
3. Beyond Normandy

I have also preordered this little puppy
View attachment 52458
It looks very good and right up my street for company/platoon action.

Perry
I have nearly all the PG items, with the exception of their "Gold Club" members' only stuff. Over a score of years there is a very small amount of duplication in my collection, because like MMP some later reprints contained a mix of stuff I already had and stuff I didn't (nothing, I stress NOTHING like CH). I also have their GWAS stuff.

I feel, that while their armour model is not as detailed as ASL, it is overall more realistic in that you have to take a good time softening up your opponent before closing. No ASL "Le Mans" start from the grid here. An alternative is MMP's PB2. That is a faster, more playable game but suffers from only having 1 module (Normandy) and an add-on (Operations Special #2), but there is an EF one in the works. It's worth looking at.

Apart from those AP PG & GWAS, I am a big fan of GMT's "Great Battles of History" (GBoH) series. Despite the totally different scale, it's the closest to ASL in immersion and feel for the ancient world. Because of my satisfaction with GBoH, I also got their "Men of Iron" and "Musket and Pike" series. If you want a good EF game at company/battalion level, I would recommend GMT's 2 "Roads to" (Leningrad and Moscow) pair. Both have 2 battles each and are quite manageable in a session or two with still plenty of detail and subtlety. My days of (SPI and others') monsters are long past, so those pair satisfy my taste for grand tactical/low operational level games.

I view game selection as more akin to food. You might, like me, have a strong preference for beef and lamb, but some pork and chicken is a nice change. Besides, you need the occasional desert to round things off. Before Xmas I decided to get something outside my usual fare and got MMP's "Last Chance for Victory" (Gettysburg) and DG's "Napoleon's Last Battles" (guess what battle/campaign :bite:). Both as a Xmas time novelty and a couple of tentative steps into an era (Napoleonic & ACW) I have avoided pretty well so far.

I feel having alternatives helps keep ASL fresh and sometimes, by comparison, makes you realise how good ASL is. I have been tempted in the case of GMT's RtM Mtsensk game to resolve individual actions/combats using ASL rather than it's own CRT.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have nearly all the PG items, with the exception of their "Gold Club" members' only stuff. Over a score of years there is a very small amount of duplication in my collection, because like MMP some later reprints contained a mix of stuff I already had and stuff I didn't (nothing, I stress NOTHING like CH). I also have their GWAS stuff.

I feel, that while their armour model is not as detailed as ASL, it is overall more realistic in that you have to take a good time softening up your opponent before closing. No ASL "Le Mans" start from the grid here. An alternative is MMP's PB2. That is a faster, more playable game but suffers from only having 1 module (Normandy) and an add-on (Operations Special #2), but there is an EF one in the works. It's worth looking at.

Apart from those AP PG & GWAS, I am a big fan of GMT's "Great Battles of History" (GBoH) series. Despite the totally different scale, it's the closest to ASL in immersion and feel for the ancient world. Because of my satisfaction with GBoH, I also got their "Men of Iron" and "Musket and Pike" series. If you want a good EF game at company/battalion level, I would recommend GMT's 2 "Roads to" (Leningrad and Moscow) pair. Both have 2 battles each and are quite manageable in a session or two with still plenty of detail and subtlety. My days of (SPI and others') monsters are long past, so those pair satisfy my taste for grand tactical/low operational level games.

I view game selection as more akin to food. You might, like me, have a strong preference for beef and lamb, but some pork and chicken is a nice change. Besides, you need the occasional desert to round things off. Before Xmas I decided to get something outside my usual fare and got MMP's "Last Chance for Victory" (Gettysburg) and DG's "Napoleon's Last Battles" (guess what battle/campaign :bite:). Both as a Xmas time novelty and a couple of tentative steps into an era (Napoleonic & ACW) I have avoided pretty well so far.

I feel having alternatives helps keep ASL fresh and sometimes, by comparison, makes you realise how good ASL is. I have been tempted in the case of GMT's RtM Mtsensk game to resolve individual actions/combats using ASL rather than it's own CRT.
I like the analogy Paul, I have a copy of SPI's EAST FRONT, it is the only game i bought from around my 17th year on this planet I kept (well kept it at my folks home whilst I was out playing soldier) I agree, it is nice to keep things loose as it were.
I have GMTs games all on VASL, and have Downloaded most of the rules sets, it is just slowly getting the time to look into them, I have also got Ukraine 43/Baltic Gap,PB,PB2, GD'40/41/42 OCS GBII,DAKII,Hubes Pocket and many more, all witrh rules so I can when the whim takes me play them or start to play them. actual physical games I now apart from my pride and joy (ASL collection) have the following

1. Avalon Hills Russian front
2. SPI East Front (1st Ed)
3. West End games Eastern front Tank leader
4. The Gamers Stalingrad Pocket 1st Ed
5. PG-EAstern Front/Beyond Normandy/Heroes of the soviet Union and soon Kursk Southern Front.

I would love to own Baltic Gap and Ukraine 43, also I like the look of Fighting Formations GD. Now I am paast my active Forces career and am sort of slowing down and do not go to any foriegn lands and such I find i can devote time to them Hence why I got back into ASL. I hope over the coming years to accuire a large to very large collection of war board games and enjoy some really good dust ups in my golden years, (that's if i make it past 55, as most of us tend to keel over by then:D)

Corwin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the last couple of months have played a few games of Viticulture and a couple of its expansion, Tuscany. My brother in law has the game. All about growing a vineyard and selling wine. Base game is solid, expansion has multiple additions / options and it is very, very good. High production values, good replayability, liked the theme. Enjoyed it so much I bought both.

Also have played about 5 games of Marrying Mr Darcy. Wife is a P+P fan so picked it up for her. Fun quick play game. That Mr Wickham is quite the ladies man (not)

Misterhawk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Crusade and Revolution from Compass Games ... It's the Paths of Glory system adapted to the Spanish Civil War. Just started by third game of it last night. I've only ever played one game of Paths of Glory so there's more of a learning curve for me, but I'm enjoying it. Highly recommended if you like PoG or if you're fascinated with the Spanish Civil War.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Crusade and Revolution from Compass Games ... It's the Paths of Glory system adapted to the Spanish Civil War. Just started by third game of it last night. I've only ever played one game of Paths of Glory so there's more of a learning curve for me, but I'm enjoying it. Highly recommended if you like PoG or if you're fascinated with the Spanish Civil War.
How are the rules? I find compass games more miss than hit when it comes to rules.......

Peace

Roger

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
War game game day: played Platoon, BattleLine and Nuclear War.
Monday night game night played: Viceroy, Forbidden Island (twice)

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played two games of Pax Pamir last night. This is a game on colonial Afghanistan. It was fun, but my head is still spinning from all the different game vectors. I'm pretty sure I like the game and I want to play it again. Time will tell...

Steve

Misterhawk

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We found the rules for Crusade and Revolution to be pretty tight. Pretty easy to get the fundamentals down and mostly looking at the rules for exceptions such as Winter Turns.

Hawkeye

Last edited:

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Another Panzer Grenadier Kursk Southern Flank Scenario, Scenario #28 Kluichi Town. Mainly grunt action, slow but fun. am enjoying PG to be honest, not enough to be drawn away from ASL, but it is a nice distraction.

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
At Wednesday board games at work we played Sushi Go. Fun, quick, easy, all about getting points for best sushi combos. Hands rotated through players which created an interesting dynamic.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
History of the World (Av Hill cardboard counters edition) Wednesday. Five players.
We had a blast. I hadn't played it fir at least a decade.
It took us five hours and a half - with a cheese raclette in the middle.
I won (158 pts), because even though I got the Persian empire, I had the luck to get the Mongols afterwards.
Neither the Romans nor the Carthaginians came into play...

Okmed

ASL/SK Scout
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Quick scenario of G.E.V. a few days ago: Seems like there's always time for Ogre/G.E.V. And space for it, too, since at our house we're using the 5th edition, more compact than the Big Red Box designer's edition.

Over the weekend I played Caporetto from The Great War in the East. This was a solitaire familiarization run-through, first time I ever played the game. Initial impression: it's an easy-to-play but sophisticated refinement of ye olde Igo-Hugo, ZOCs-and-Odds wargame.