What boardgames have you played recently?

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Orleans. Good game- I will probably buy when the 'scenario-based' expansion comes out

Monday night club - played "Exploding Kittens', 'Cacao' and then we tried 'Bohnanaza'

Randy Strader

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In anticipation of the tourney at Winter Offensive, I played my first two scenarios of Great Campaigns of the American Civil War, specifically from Stonewall Jackson's Way II. Really enjoyable game with a great group of players. Looking forward to splitting time at W.O. between this, ASL, and OCS.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Orleans. Good game- I will probably buy when the 'scenario-based' expansion comes out

Monday night club - played "Exploding Kittens', 'Cacao' and then we tried 'Bohnanaza'
Despite the noble theme, I found "Exploding Kittens" to just be okay...

Steve

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Playing Pandemic Legacy with the family. Tremendous game. My wife couldn't play for a week after one of the surprises freaked her out so much!

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just set up via VASSAL GMT's Ukraine 43, like the look and the feel of this one. Should be good.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Played a game of 'Russian Railroads' by ZMAN with the wife and daughter. Excellent worker placement game......might even pick up the new add-on 'German Railroads'

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Playing Pandemic Legacy with the family. Tremendous game. My wife couldn't play for a week after one of the surprises freaked her out so much!
My buddy Doug was talking about this game Saturday. He loves it.

I have never played.

Peace

Roger

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Saturday: 'couples game night': Codenames, 40 Below, Power Grid

Monday night card games: "Biblios, Diamonds, Caratagena

Don't worry-- got some ASL playtest scheduled for Sunday.:laugh:

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
some non ASL gaming for me in the past month or so:

Dungeons and Dragons Dicemasters. A filler game session for Doug and I around the holidays. He has a bog ass boxed of the dice, so we gave it a spin (our 2nd playing). I like it and the game goes well with music, and booze.

Star Trek deck building game. A Christmas gift from Doug so we game it a spin. One of the worst rulebooks ever and the Magic player in me kept finding holes, but, once we got (what we think) they were going for, we enjoyed it. I love deck building games and I found this one to be pretty fun.

Enemy Action: Ardennes. My first play of this game (Doug played the German solo game and loved it). We only got through one turn (learning session as all I had done was read rules). Very different and is going to take some getting used to. Pretty clean rules (for Compass). I was one American step loss away from winning the (one day) scenario. GAme seems a little quirky but we shall see how it plays once I get more sessions in.

Lord of the Rings Live Card game. Why oh WHY did I do it? I am a JRRT fan of old and I enjoy simple solo games. Plus I am an old Magic guy. So like and idiot I buy a Fantasy Flight game where supplements are pumped out at the speed of light:smoke: So of course, I am in total obsession mode for the game right now. The game is hard out of the box (by design I am certain) so, more cards (and scenarios) are on the way. I enjoy it a lot.

Peace

Roger

Last edited:

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Oh and I just started a 4 player PBEM game of Wellington. I have zero experience with the game, so we shall see. I always feel over my head in multi-player games and just when I think I have it down, they end:nuts: But I look forward to it. I enjoy new games and I enjoy the PBEM group.

Peace

Roger

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
Lord of the Rings Live Card game. Why oh WHY did I do it? I am a JRRT fan of old and I enjoy simple solo games. Plus I am an old Magic guy. So like and idiot I buy a Fantasy Flight game where supplements are pumped out at the speed of light:smoke: So of course, I am in total obsession mode for the game right now. The game is hard out of the box (by design I am certain) so, more cards (and scenarios) are on the way. I enjoy it a lot.
I've actually looked at this one for a while now. I may have to pick it up...

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I've actually looked at this one for a while now. I may have to pick it up...
Seems likely it will be a money sink:smoke:

But aren't all card (and fantasy flight) games.

I picked up the base game and the first 6 small deck expansions (Mirkwood run) from Cardhaus games. I think the base game was $25 and the 6 decks 10 bucks a piece which is a good discount. This gives me a good amount of cards and 7 "adventures".

Now I am playing (to learn) with just the base 30 card decks out of the box. I will then start construction of decks. It is very hard to win with the pre constructed decks. Though one might be able to design a good deck with all the cards from the base set.

Peace

Roger

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Had a another great time at a Winter Offensive. Late night gaming action included: A Study In Emerald, 1714: The Case of the Catalans, Lords of Waterdeep, The Grizzled, Flick Em Up!, Ra, Pax Pamir, and Codenames.

I enjoyed all of them with Flick Em Up! and Codenames very, very high on the really enjoyable Beer and Pretzel scale (especially late at night.

Bill

P.S. And if your gaming group is as moronic/drunk as our group was Sunday night, I would highly recommend recording your play of Codenames and posting it to Youtube! :nuts:

P.S.S. In fact, if you ever see a Deller brother (Sean or Pat) ask them if they are travelling with their "Spy" "Luggage" in their "Duck" "Boat"

View attachment 52264

Last edited:

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Tonight I'll be playing a game of NATO: The Next War in Europe by Victory Games. I have not played this since 1995 and am looking forward to it.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I also just played Codenames for the first time, on Saturday, and it was fun. A little light for my ideal, but a good party game without being too brainless.

What else? Patchwork (2-player only, good), Category 5 (always a good filler), Continental Express (train game a bit like Ticket to Ride but with no board; you're building trains instead of tracks). Then the "hard stuff":

Dice City - Sounds like it ought to be a modern city-building game a la SimCity, but actually more medieval themed and more in the empire-building style (like 7 Wonders, say). Each player has a 5x6 grid of spaces which start occupied by basic resource-production, weak military, and so on. The idea is to build up your city by buying better cards to place over the starter spaces. Each of the five rows has a different color die, and each turn you roll the 5 dice to see which spaces get activated.

In a way it's also like a deck-builder; you start out with a random limited set of options and have to make do with what you roll, but as the game progresses you get more and more control by customizing your city to your style. Do you want more military? More resources? Some ability to modify your dice rolls? And where should each of these buildings go in your city to take best advantage of the dice rolls?

I foresee having a lot of fun with this one...

And speaking of 7 Wonders, the other cool game was a drafting one called Medieval Academy. There are 7 tracks you need to make progress on, each with different effects on end-game scoring. In each of the 6 rounds, the players draft a hand of 5 cards, of which they'll be able to play 4; each will give them progress on a single track. But only the top couple of scorers on a given track will get the benefits; everyone else will just have wasted some of their limited plays for nothing. Plus, some of the tracks have limited short term rewards and then reset, while others have larger but only long-term rewards. Where in 7 Wonders, each player is building their own little economic engine with very limited interaction, in Medieval Academy the play is very much about guessing at and responding to what the other players are doing.

John

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Tonight I'll be playing a game of NATO: The Next War in Europe by Victory Games. I have not played this since 1995 and am looking forward to it.
Great game, the Warsaw block can use chemical weapon and kick ass for a few turns and Nato can use tactical nukes with a chance of blowing up the whole planet.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
'SteamPunk Rally and Peleponnes today

Both good games I would play again, but neither screams to me to have my own copy.