What boardgames have you played recently?

Helmseye

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
played a LCG with a friend called conquest, set in the 40k universe.
It was very addictive!

tekay44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a couple of games of Spearpoint 1943, had a lot of fun. Quick easy game.

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
GMed another Slumbering Tsar Saga campaign session for a varied and truly international player group tonight. We're playing on roll20 using Skype for voice. Good fun.

King Scott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I started a gamers club at the middle school that I teach at...got more kids wanting to join than I could take!

I have them all playing backgammon at the moment, but getting ready to branch out into other games. I have waiting for them to play:

Zombies!
Dread Pirate
King of Tokyo
Exploding Kittens
Pandemic

I have a requisition in for the following games:

Formula D
Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures
Ticket to Ride
Dominion
King of New York
Mille Bournes
Tsuro

It is a lot of fun to have a classroom full of students playing games every day in my class. I need to get them playing ASL!

Semper Fi!
Scott

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I started a gamers club at the middle school that I teach at...got more kids wanting to join than I could take!

I have them all playing backgammon at the moment, but getting ready to branch out into other games. I have waiting for them to play:

Zombies!
Dread Pirate
King of Tokyo
Exploding Kittens
Pandemic

I have a requisition in for the following games:

Formula D
Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures
Ticket to Ride
Dominion
King of New York
Mille Bournes
Tsuro

It is a lot of fun to have a classroom full of students playing games every day in my class. I need to get them playing ASL!

Semper Fi!
Scott
My son in law is a third grade teacher, and he also incorporates gaming into his ciriculum as a reward-based incentive. Very nice to see this sort of innovation from our educators.
Keep up the good work!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I received it through the Wargamer Pay It Forward Group on Facebook, but LNL Publishing's Flintlock game. An American Revolution quad. Cowpens, Camden, Guilford Court House and Hobkirk's Hill. Looks interesting.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
While most posts refer to cardboard games, recently I played a PC game called Winemp. The unusual thing about it is that is a Windows version of an old mini-computer game Empire which I first played on a DEC PDP-11. That version was geared to character only based terminals, VT52 if I remember correctly. Despite it's age it can mount a decent challenge to a human player.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just got off an unexpected Guard duty (someone went sick early last night), and am looking at my copy of Combat Commander.........I really do not know if it is worth the effort to lay out a game, or just go with more ASL, some may say a no brainer. I suppose I am looking for someone to tell me to sell my Combat Commander (it is actually CC + the Stalingrad module).
on top of that I have played the bloody thing once!
and double ontop of the I have a PTO scenario laid out on the table as it is for ASL.

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Just got off an unexpected Guard duty (someone went sick early last night), and am looking at my copy of Combat Commander.........I really do not know if it is worth the effort to lay out a game, or just go with more ASL, some may say a no brainer. I suppose I am looking for someone to tell me to sell my Combat Commander (it is actually CC + the Stalingrad module).
on top of that I have played the bloody thing once!
Are you playing solo? How would that work with CC, given that it is card driven?

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
While most posts refer to cardboard games, recently I played a PC game called Winemp. The unusual thing about it is that is a Windows version of an old mini-computer game Empire which I first played on a DEC PDP-11. That version was geared to character only based terminals, VT52 if I remember correctly. Despite it's age it can mount a decent challenge to a human player.
Oh, Empire - very fond memories, back in 1989. Great game!

veron

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Cheers, I will look into that, already saved to the Computer, but I am wondering if I really want to invest time into it.....we will see.
You're welcome. I have thought about getting that one too, but haven't yet... Would also be mostly for solo purposes I think.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
You're welcome. I have thought about getting that one too, but haven't yet... Would also be mostly for solo purposes I think.
It looks very nice, I have to admit, and the rules are easy to grasp, but I just have not had the pull/drive to get into it (I bought it instead of Festung Budapest for some insane reason last earlier this year when I bought a load of ASL gear, I regret it now big time.).

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Oh, Empire - very fond memories, back in 1989. Great game!
Seconded. Even dug it up and played it again a year or so.

There used t be an interesting variant called "Imperium" for AMIGA computers by some guys from Hamburg that included Transport Planes, Recon Tanks, Bombers, Helicopters and Rockets. Two helicopters could land on Battleships, three Rockets (one shot weapon that attacked a center square and all squares around it) could be fired from Cruisers. Transport Planes could transport one tank.
Alas despite best efforts, I could never find this one again. This variant was much superior to the better known "Empire Deluxe".

von Marwitz

Corwin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see MMP advertised its Black Friday offerings. I know this is a general question but what MMP series would you recommended? I am looking for the 2 or 3 top recommendations of those series that are for sale on Friday. I do not own any of these series and wanted to try one.

Sale List

Civil War Brigade Series
In Their Quiet Fields 2 - $15.00
April's Harvest - $10.00
Champion Hill - $10.00
Malvern Hill - $15.00
Three Battles of Manassas - $15.00
Strike Them A Blow - $15.00

Napoleonic Brigade Series
Marengo - $10.00
Talavera - $10.00

Operational Combat Series
Korea - $50.00

Tactical Combat Series
Black Wednesday - $15.00
Leros - $15.00
A Frozen Hell - $10.00
Screaming Eagles in Holland - $15.00
Bloody Ridge (Ziplock) - $10.00
GD'42 - $20.00

Standard Combat Series
Guadalajara - $15.00
Rock of the Marne - $15.00
Yom Kippur - $10.00

Grand Tactical Series
No Question of Surrender - $38.00

Regimental Sub-Series
A Fearful Slaughter - $20.00
This Terrible Sound - $20.00
South Mountain - $15.00

International Game Series
Angola - $41.00
The Tide at Sunrise - $15.00
A Most Dangerous Time - $35.00
Storm Over Dien Bien Phu - $37.00

Miscellaneous and Non-Series Games
The Kingdom of Heaven - $40.00
Lincoln's War - $30.00
Breakthrough: Cambrai - $20.00

Thanks

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
Friends bought me Forbidden Desert for my birthday a couple of weeks ago. Fun little co-op game. Have played it twice now and we're batting 0.500.

Played another co-op a couple of weeks ago for the first time: Shadowrun Crossfire. I'm a sucker for all things Shadowrun and this is no let-down. It's more difficult than most co-op's that I've played, but that fits with the setting. Played with my wife. We're both thinking that this is definitely a replayable purchase, so there's value there.