What boardgames have you played recently?

alanlynott

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Al,

Plays rather quickly for a "monster" game--mechanics are pretty simple but give good results,and is excellent game for team play. Not a lot of chrome but a few simple house-rules I have seen can be added in. Highly recommend this game to anyone with an interest in MG campaign.

Am on Allied turn 11 of my solo play--so busy focusing on the Arnhem and Nijmegen bridges I failed to garrison the two ferries to the west of Nijmegen and British units Road Marched up to them and crossed. This combined with generous use of Allied air+artillery support at Nijmegen guaranteed XXX Corps crossing the Waal in force. Now they are getting across the Rhine at both Driel and Renkum ; the Renkum ferry took up a good part of the British airborne in helping to capture it. Now the Germans are consolidating around holding the Arnhem bridge.
Thanks Mark, it sounds like a lot of fun. Do you feel under time pressure as the Allies? My first ever wargame experience was a game called Arnhem on the ZX Spectrum which I played to death as a 12 year old. So it was computer wargaming that got me into board wargaming!

spikebus

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished playing Conflict of Heros. War gaming light. Still like GMT's Combat Commander a little better. Both fun when you don't have time for a full ASL game.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Al,

The whole campaign game is 17 turns long so yes the Allies do have to watch the clock--my solo game went to turn 13 due to Allied air+arty doing great throughout the game whereas German arty failed to help support the defense at Arnhem (which XXX Corps crossed in force on turn 13.)

rcarter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My 11 yo son and I have been playing Paydirt. I have the 1980 version. I played the 1980 Miami Dolphins against his New England Patriots. I forgot how bad the 1980 Dolphins were. I did get a bunch of pdf's for other seasons and there are even contemporary charts. He really likes it especially since there are about 3 minutes to go and he is up, 42 - 13. I actually missed the extra point!

Corwin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My 11 yo son and I have been playing Paydirt. I have the 1980 version. I played the 1980 Miami Dolphins against his New England Patriots. I forgot how bad the 1980 Dolphins were. I did get a bunch of pdf's for other seasons and there are even contemporary charts. He really likes it especially since there are about 3 minutes to go and he is up, 42 - 13. I actually missed the extra point!
I have never played paydirt. How does it compare to Statis Pro Football?

John

rcarter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have never played paydirt. How does it compare to Statis Pro Football?

John
I did play Static Pro Football, but I don't remember it as well. I think there are similarities. There are rules online for paydirt. Just google paydirt and you can find different sites for it.

The bottom line is that each team has a chart w/ offense and defense and special teams. There are 4 run plays and 5 pass plays to choose from. The defense can pick 1 of 6 formations. All have strengths and weakness. Each player rolls on the chart and there are rules for how to prioritize the results, whether it be defense chart result, offense chart result or combination. It also has rules for razzle dazzle plays, field goals, punts, onside kicks, etc. It's easy to pick up and start playing. The only thing you don't get are instant replay reviews :)

Rick

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
Tried Hero Clix Star Trek. Not too bad- just poorly written rules. Learning the game and ship capabilities takes some getting too.

View attachment 50921 View attachment 50922View attachment 50923

PS: I played Klingon. It's a lot like the Russian hordes!
Playing Federation Commander made me never want to play any other space ship game. It is just the right level of detail and variety. In that one, Klingons are more like Zeros and Federation are like Panzers. Weird analogy, sure, but it's all balanced between movement and firepower so well.

Will never play Star Fleet Battles. I already play ASL, and from everything I hear, it just involved more waiting and tracking in flight weapons.

rcarter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing Federation Commander made me never want to play any other space ship game. It is just the right level of detail and variety. In that one, Klingons are more like Zeros and Federation are like Panzers. Weird analogy, sure, but it's all balanced between movement and firepower so well.

Will never play Star Fleet Battles. I already play ASL, and from everything I hear, it just involved more waiting and tracking in flight weapons.
I played SFB in the past, but not recently. It is, as you say, more about the rationing of energy and distributing it between shields, weaponry, etc. I remember it fondly, but I just haven't had the time to invest in it.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Wing Leader, GMT. A relatively simple game, nice components (aircraft counters) fairly quick playing. Played 3 scenarios in around 5 hours. The pace gradually picking up with each playing as we ironed out the number of rules referencing 'breaks' as the day wore on. The big change with this game is that it is played in the vertical, a novel idea that I initially viewed with some scepticism, but seems to work nicely.

Too early to tell if it's a keeper.

Last edited:

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Wing Leader, GMT. A relatively simple game, nice components (aircraft counters) fairly quick playing. Played 3 scenarios in around 5 hours. The pace gradually picking up with each playing as we ironed out the number of rules referencing 'breaks' as the day wore on. The big change with this game is that it is played in the vertical, a novel idea that I initially viewed with some scepticism, but seems to work nicely.

Too early to tell if it's a keeper.
The idea for the game came from an article that was published in Airfix magazine in the '70s. It used both sides of scale models to perform the maneuvers. He next wrote a book on this, Air Battles in Miniature, and Lee picked this up and refined it into the game we see now. He's already working on a volume 2, and will be supported by GMT's C3i magazine too.

I love it, for me it's a keeper for sure.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I played SFB in the past, but not recently. It is, as you say, more about the rationing of energy and distributing it between shields, weaponry, etc. I remember it fondly, but I just haven't had the time to invest in it.
I can't recommend Federation Commander enough, if you like sci fi or star trek or even just fast paced games. From everything I've read, it has all of the basic tactical principles as SFB but is more streamlined. I enjoy playing the game a lot and I have taught kids to play it too. Really easy to ration out the energy. The most attractive thing is that the data cards are pre-laminated and in color already! All you need is a map pen or dry erase marker.

I like military sci fi but I hate miniatures, so FC is exactly what I wanted.

The idea for the game came from an article that was published in Airfix magazine in the '70s. It used both sides of scale models to perform the maneuvers. He next wrote a book on this, Air Battles in Miniature, and Lee picked this up and refined it into the game we see now. He's already working on a volume 2, and will be supported by GMT's C3i magazine too.

Good to hear! I just ordered it a week ago.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom

I own all of Lee's previous air games and have played them extensively.

ParaMarine

#1 fan of Hungary
Reaction score
First name
Big Rick
Country
llUnited States
I haven't played Bloody April but that's another one I'm interested in.

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
BA was done by Terry Simo who also did Elusive Victory.

There's an expansion for BA in development called Eagle of Lille.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I own this as well, although it isn't an LBW game per se. Played 3 or 4 scenarios and I have to say it didn't grip me. There is a very good review on BGG that highlights the problems. There is the potential for too much dog fighting and this can bog the game down to a crawl. Whereas in, for example, Downtown, dogfighting has enough chrome to please but dogfights don't occur that frequently so chrome is good. In BA almost every scenario will involve dogfighting. The game comes with a huge number of individual aircraft, but very few of those will actually ever see play. Of course the Red Baron is there, lethal. Involving Richoften in any scenario pretty much condemns the hapless RFC fliers to an early exit.

One of my opponents is an air wargame nut but he has only ever played the one game against me. :crosseye:

Nightfighter and Bomber Command are extremely good. The Nightfighter VASSAL module is superb for PBEM.

Last edited: