What boardgames have you played recently?

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Taught Splendor to 3 coworkers (two females) today during our lunch hour. All three want to play again and will buy it for their gaming groups.

I'm telling you, if you want a game that your spouse or girlfriend will play with you, this is the one. You collect gems; diamonds, onyx, rubies, emeralds and sapphires to collect other gems (cards). There's only one page of rules and only 4 possible moves on your turn. It's fun, fast and addictive. And the components are gorgeous and top shelf.

Last edited:

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Taught Splendor to 3 coworkers (two females) today during our lunch hour. All three want to play again and will buy it for their gaming groups.

I'm telling you, if you want a game that your spouse or girlfriend will play with you, this is the one. You collect gems; diamonds, onyx, rubies, emeralds and sapphires to collect other gems (cards).
I second this. Chicks of all ages dig Splendor.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Setting up some Great Battles of History scenarios featuring Spartacus,after reading about a fellow gamer at BGG playing the same thing.

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Play tested a short game of Downton Abby. I lost when my Earl's daughter got knocked up by the kitchen help. Oh the inhumanity.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Playing Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King in Arcade mode (i. e. coop - actually soloing).
More a fantasy skirmish game than a dungeon crawler.
AI is OK.
The rulebook is a PITA: no index, some imprecisions, no game aid sheet (but a stupid Adventurer's manual explaining the legendary background of the story: useless as there are no diversified scenarios or quests).
Happily there already are some game aids and turn sequence summaries on BGG.
The game is fun to play.
But I am more and more irritated to see new games being produced which need FAQ, errata and online fan made aids to be played.
The game was on KS: does that lead producers to rush up the playtesting and rules writing?
In the case of Myth it certainly was the case (unplayable rules after production) but not with Kings of Israel...

Last edited:

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Played Mage Wars for the first time Sunday. It was a ton of fun. We are playing again Sunday.

I can see why this game is addictive.

Peace

Roger

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Meg beat me in two straight games of Lost Cities. I tended to 'over-invest' and thus delay my expeditions, whereas she just got right at it.

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My 8 year old has become very passionate about playing Pokemon since he found out some of his school friends play. I made the mistake of teaching him how to play the game...apparently too well. He lost the first four games but now has beaten me three times in a row....quite convincingly too. The game has a bit more of a "luck factor" than I usually like, but he enjoys it a lot and it is quality time spent doing something he likes. We'll move him on to Tactics II later this summer, then ASLSK's in a couple of years. He's also into Stratego, and he's getting better at that too...or maybe I'm just getting worse with age.

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Friday Night Magic - it's been too long away from those cards, just back form a super butt - kicking ( mine unfortunately) but with 45 new cards ( drafting - the name of the game...) and a record 2:7 in the standings - I am my son's official laughing stock Magic player again.
:D
Got some pretty cool cards, actually won 2 games - so not bad ( we play 3 three game matches, best 2 outta 3 for the standings. 20 minutes for 3 games. extra time can be used for free play.) Traded for some really nice cards to help in rebuilding my old school time spiral and dissension sets. All in all, a fun night out with my son ( 29 now, he's got a killer fungus deck - has to be some non - legal for tourney duos in there - mycoloths and doubling seasons... ouch. I managed to beat him ONCE - with a Knight Captain of Eos / Ajani Goldmane deck - make a soldier, sacrifice for a holy day effect. ran him outta cards for a win.)

KRl, jon H

Hovned31

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Dominion and Seven Wonders. I love that my wife will play these games and actually enjoys them. If only I could get her to play ASL......

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
yesterday at the Cleveland board Gamers:

Vitaculture, 2Oth Century Limited, Diamonds and Roll for it!

Just looking at the list makes me realize how odd this is, as we usually play the easiest game first.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Played a couple of scenarios from End of Empires in prep for playing the American Revolutionary War. It is a Compass game, so there are bound to be rules issues, but sort of a cool system.

Though we shall see how much I like it after 40 or so turns.

Peace

Roger

Randy Strader

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been playing a lot of the ceramic tile-based game Hive with my youngest. Great game for spacial reasoning -- a lot like chess but since the tiles represent bugs there is no expectation by junior that the chess-club lies in his immediate future :)

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Have just converted the original PzBlitz scenario cards maps into a redraw set using ASL terrain, looks cool, need to get hold of some of the bespoke counter sets that are out on e bay. Got a copy of the rules and charts so gonna go back and have a bit of fun with the first war game I ever bought back in 1985.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
GMT Bomber Command. Played this few times now, feels like a good historical simulation although the topic won't appeal to everyone (rolling for firestorms....).

Solid game. The RAF player pre-plans the route(s) in and out. There are options for Mossies to go mine laying (gardening) and to break out from the main raid etc. The movements runs on rails once plotted and card play is used to enhance bombing and interception by the German player. Tame Boars, Wild boars, Himmelbet, window, ace gunners, experten. It's all there.

P

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
GMT Bomber Command. Played this few times now, feels like a good historical simulation although the topic won't appeal to everyone (rolling for firestorms....).

Solid game. The RAF player pre-plans the route(s) in and out. There are options for Mossies to go mine laying (gardening) and to break out from the main raid etc. The movements runs on rails once plotted and card play is used to enhance bombing and interception by the German player. Tame Boars, Wild boars, Himmelbet, window, ace gunners, experten. It's all there.

P
Thanks tor the info...I've never played a strategic level airwar game before. This could be just the right medicine for my next bout of ASL 'burn-out'.