What boardgames have you played recently?

Randy Strader

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Paul, thank you very much for taking the time to respond with this level of detail!

Well at least it will educate me on something about which I am quite ignorant, low bar maybe, but ... :)
I might also recommend pulling down Thucydides, book 5, from the shelf! :)

If your only interest is GBoH then whether you think 3 of 64 pages (including covers), a scenario card and 15 counters is worth it is another matter, that is up to you. For me, the articles on games I don't own may reduce the direct utility, but I usually find the other articles of interest either for the history or design thought process. Often it's only confirmation that a game, though at first intriguing, is not really for me.
I have other interests as well, but the complete-ist in me wants to get Hoplite "right." I did the P500 sign-up for the new COIN game Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar which looks amazing. Despite not being in this issue, hopefully I can report a playing in this forum sometime soon.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Paul, thank you very much for taking the time to respond with this level of detail!
I am happy to assist. In time you will note a pattern to my posts, verbose and often too much detail, but at times that can be to the good.

I might also recommend pulling down Thucydides, book 5, from the shelf! :)
I have so many books they are almost a physical health risk, but alas mainly WW2. One advantage of recent history is archives are always regularly being opened up, not likely with ancient stuff. Still, WW2 was what got me interested in history and having a more limited focus means a deeper and, I suppose, a more satisfying grasp, for want of a better term, gives me the illusion of a better understanding of events. Anyway it keeps me happy and out of mischief.

I have other interests as well, but the complete-ist in me wants to get Hoplite "right." I did the P500 sign-up for the new COIN game Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar which looks amazing. Despite not being in this issue, hopefully I can report a playing in this forum sometime soon.
You are posting in the ASL forum so completism and pedantry are definitely not the the exception here. I only mentioned the low GBoH percentage of this issue because I simply did not know you and your attitude. I used to be fairly completist about ASL, but with so much good stuff out I am now limiting myself to MMP, BFP, LFT, FrF, SP and most but not all LCP products. When I do go for something I do want it to be right and complete, so I am with you on this.

In my own roundabout way I was trying to say that despite my limited ownership of GMT games, I still find C3i to be well worth the price and I would recommend getting all issues as they come out. At the time of its first production I had none of their games and missed out on their first 4-6 issues including their early version of some battles like Marathon. However Hoplite has since filled that gap. My interest is tactical so the GMT games I have are all of the GBoH, Men of Iron and Musket & Pike series, plus a few other single games. Though I have strong interests in post-WW1 and Ancient-Gunpowder, only recently have I started to fill the gap in between. If I survive long enough I may even play a Napoleonic :).

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One advantage of recent history is archives are always regularly being opened up, not likely with ancient stuff.
Actually most of the ancient history archives have opened up, which has resulted in much new analysis of ancient histories. Adrian Goldsworthy and Anthony Everitt have written some excellent new Roman histories, and comment on the availability of online archives aiding their research.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
posted this on my CSW Blog this morning:

Yesterday I had a great day of wargaming. I started it our playing my daily input for the Combat Mission Barbarossa to Berlin scenario Don and I are playing on the computer by PBEM.

Then I ventured over to Bob Davis' house were we had our first session of Retiree Wargaming. We started out playing the first Scenario of the old card game Up Front. We picked this one as it appears it is coming back through Wargame Vault. I used to own the who set of this game but never really played it due to lack of opponents. So, sadly it went in the great wargames sell off of 1987. Bob's Americans pretty much wiped out my Germans. The game is very interesting though and I look forward to getting a reprint copy soon from WV. We will play this again.

Then we went on to Flying Colors which we have played in the past but have not done so in awhile. I really like this game system as it hits the right balance of ease of play and enough detail to be able to do fleet actions. We were a tad rusty but got back into it quickly. We played the Cape Henry scenario, I as the Brits and Bob as the French. The French have the wind and that advantage, along with higher audacity, Bob beat up my lead ships. After five turns I have one ship awash and one adrift but Bob's lead ships have suffered much damage too. I We stopped after five turns as my rear squadron is just entering the fight and this squadron has my tougher and better gunned ships. Bob transferred the game to VASL so we can finish it later.

After a nice Cinco de Mayo dinner at home (I've heard the US celebrates this holiday more than Mexico) I got online and finished ASL 175 Hunters at Ylimaa, against Mike LaPlante. This was a tough fight in the mud where the Finns have to push across the board to get 35 EVPs off against the Germans. I managed a win and beat up the Germans pretty badly but it still went down to a final fight at the exit hex. Good ASL stuff this one.

Pictures are on my blog starting here: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?53@@.1dd17da2/27054

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Picked up some Mage Wars stuff relatively cheap.

Anyone play this?

Reviews?

Peace

Roger

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Not played it yet, But just got hold of Hells Highway, Had it back in 86/7 a blast from the past, gonna set it up in the spare room and play it over the summer/winter this year.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Picked up some Mage Wars stuff relatively cheap.

Anyone play this?

Reviews?

Peace

Roger

Great game. Either 2 or 4 player (need 2 boards). Each of the 4 mages are completely different from each other. Start with the suggested spell books then go crazy fun tweaking them which is part of what makes it so intriguing. It is well supported with expansions and new mages.

Lots of on board tactics. How you move around, where you place your initial conjurations, when you move and cast your creatures, etc. I love the fact that you're not drawing from a stack of cards, so your best cards won't end up at the bottom. You have access to every card from turn 1.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Great game. Either 2 or 4 player (need 2 boards). Each of the 4 mages are completely different from each other. Start with the suggested spell books then go crazy fun tweaking them which is part of what makes it so intriguing. It is well supported with expansions and new mages.

Lots of on board tactics. How you move around, where you place your initial conjurations, when you move and cast your creatures, etc. I love the fact that you're not drawing from a stack of cards, so your best cards won't end up at the bottom. You have access to every card from turn 1.
Thanks...... would rep if I could. Someone get Rob for me please.

Peace

Roger

G.L.O.A.T.

Shut up and Play
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wife and I played a three-game "home stand" of Replay Baseball. Had a lot of fun. Ordered the 2014 season cards, in fact (I had the 2002 season).

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Wife and I played a three-game "home stand" of Replay Baseball. Had a lot of fun. Ordered the 2014 season cards, in fact (I had the 2002 season).
I am more of an APBA guy. Fish tried to get me into Strat and I did play some of that (and bought some sets).

I also have some Replay sets, including the 1908 season and the best of 70's and 80's.

But I have not really gotten into Replay.

Peace

Roger

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
Not played it yet, But just got hold of Hells Highway, Had it back in 86/7 a blast from the past, gonna set it up in the spare room and play it over the summer/winter this year.
Remember holding this in my hands years ago when it was published. Didn't buy it tough.

But I got hold of a copy a couple of years back, still need to play it...

coolcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Been playing a good bit of Up Front solitaire - what a fantastic game, I just learned it a few days ago.

Also set up Third Reich on my table but haven't done anything with it. I love playing ASL, but for some reason I can't fit the 3R rules into my head!

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I would love to get this game back.
You know I didn't this game the first time I played it. Too asymmetrical, nothing for the DRV player to do except run out of SAMs and watch his MiG 17's fall out of the skies. My opponent played a careful game, stayed on the deck to avoid the SAMs then lost 2 jets to random small arms fire and I won. Still wasn't thrilled with the game but now I love it. Atmosphere, tension, historical accuracy it's all there. Counter clutter can become a problem at times but the VASSAL module is superb. A real keeper for me. I own all of the series. The WW1 game is, in my opinion, not a brilliant game though. There is a little to much to do when the aircraft dogfight and they always do (you get scores of single plane counters that rarely see the light of day) whereas the other games in the series dogfights are short and not that common, particularly in Downtown so the detailed mechanics and chrome work, but it doesn't become a chore.

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
ATO #43 pacific solo games. Playing Given Up For Dead (Wake Island) right now, to be followed by Utmost Savagery (Pelielu - sp??).

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
GMT's 'Downtown' Air war Vietnam. Highly recommended. Played this a number of times.
Bought a copy for myself and one for my best friend for his bday. We played one scenario and he didn't like it. He was a B-52 pilot in the Air Force and was an Air Liaison Officer for the Army National Guard. He said it was too close to the real thing. He didn't want to play a game that was too much like work.

I guess that means it's really good. I liked it.