What boardgames have you played recently?

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last night, had a Christmas game night' with 12 Days. Letters to Santa and Holiday Fluxx.

Started round 55 of the online- War at Sea Ladder.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Case Blue arrived......$600 worth of game. I'm so relieved its finally here. One day it will be played.

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
over the past couple of weeks: Martin Wallace's A Struggle of Empires, GMT's latest COIN offering Fire in the Lake, and a ton of quick playings of Fantasy Flight's Age of War.

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Case Blue arrived......$600 worth of game. I'm so relieved its finally here. One day it will be played.
I hadn't heard of it and I looked it up. Saw it was an MMP game about 1941-43 southern Russia. Massive amount of materials:

• 9 22"x34" full-color mapsheets
• 1 14"x22" full-color mapsheet
• 10 unit countersheets (280 counters/sheet)
• 3 marker countersheets (280 counters/sheet)

That is a "monster game "in the old-fashioned late 1970's meaning of the term!

Last edited:

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I play both Gunderians Blitzkrieg and Case Blue. A monster is not the word for it. Both need a play are 11 ft x 8 ft plus room to maneuver around the tables,
plus there is over 5000 counters provided and online help as well. Vassal has modules on it's site to use, and Gamers Archives provides updated rules and new scenarios.
I like the system, why because of the need to really plan, you have tons of units to maintain, and use but you will never have enough supply to do it, and welcome tothe Russian front. Lots of room to maneuver, and plenty of options. The rules are easy to learn but definitely not master so this is an uber monster game that will take some time to play, and no it is not for the quick game players. I am currently setting up for Operation Typhoon the northern half, and so far there are close to 300 units I have to pick and place. So if you can get the game and have to time set it up do it. I love the history behind it and the concept of playing an purely operational game.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Our Saturday group (Minus 1) started the CG for Roads to Gettysburg this past week.

I was looking forward to this, but after our Union Army of the Potomac entry rolls I think
we are done.

With the Official errata the Union side roles starting on turn 2 to receive the AotP, We finally
get a result on turn 8!!! Naturally the result is a "D", second worse possible. The 3rd increment of the AotP wont come on until
turn 11. The CG is only 18 turns long. I could rattle on about the AotP entry chart, I will say it is poorly designed IMO.

We agreed to play it out, but enough of the AotP wont get to into battle soon enough to have an effect on the game. After discussion I think the entry is simply to much of a variable and heavily favors the CSA player. The AotP should even if there are restrictions come on no later than turn 6 or 7 IMO. Given the distance they have to go to get into battle proper. I like the "flow" of the game, but at least in Roads to Gettysburg, the game IMO is slanted toward the CSA. The random events chart favors the CSA player, or simply does not apply when it can have a negative effect on the CSA's actions. The tactical modifiers for combat/movement are far to positive IMO for the CSA, not every Corp commander was Longstreet!! I will stop my rant, it is overall a fun and smooth game, but if you play the Union side be ready for some frustrating moments.

Thanks
Joe

Last edited:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playtested GMT's Cataclysm. A grand strategic look at WW2 with a free-wheelin', open-ended do-whatever-you-want-to-do-approach. The Axis defeated France fairly easily and Japan took opportunistic ground attacks in China. Russia never got into the war and America only in 1949-50 -- the final turn -- when they allied with Britain who was at war with Italy. Great fun!

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am trying to learn how to play Mah-Jong. Can any one steer me to a good website--especially one that lets you play against AI? Thanks.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
A real gem. Still remains to be played in my house but have played several of the other games in the series.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
The Devil's Cauldron- Grand Tactical Series. Very good game with interesting mechanics.

Arnhem 1944

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Just got to add that Case Blue actually cost me $450 - it was the postage and customs which raised it to $600. Considering it is in near mint condition I was willing to pay the $450 for it. It does not come much cheaper on the web.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Which ones have you played Paul?
Enemy at the Gates, Guderian's Blitzkrieg II and DAK. mainly the smaller scenarios due to time constraints, although we did play one of the larger scenarios from GBII and the Stalingrad relief scenario (Winter storm). Haven't played OCS for a number of years but the games are all on my 'Keepers' list and will remain there.

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing MMP's civil war game None But Heroes (the battle of Antietam). It plays very well solitaire without being designed as such - there are no concealed or HIP units and very little in the way of tactical tricks but very interesting as a matter of where to mass forces.

The terrain is not aligned to the hexagons (save for a few features like stone walls), which makes the map look messy, though the LOS system is more sophisticated than ASL.

Concealment counters from ASL make for great counters to show who has moved/fired each turn. (The hero at the bottom is actually marking a scenario boundary). This is a small scenario from the overall game.

Great game if interested in the Civil War.

Last edited:

G.L.O.A.T.

Shut up and Play
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing MMP's civil war game None But Heroes (the battle of Antietam). It plays very well solitaire without being designed as such - there are no concealed or HIP units and very little in the way of tactical tricks but very interesting as a matter of where to mass forces.

The terrain is not aligned to the hexagons (save for a few features like stone walls), which makes the map look messy, though the LOS system is more sophisticated than ASL.

Concealment counters from ASL make for great counters to show who has moved/fired each turn. (The hero at the bottom is actually marking a scenario boundary). This is a small scenario from the overall game.

Great game if interested in the Civil War.
Love the American Hero on the map (lower left)!

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played the medium '68-'72 scenario in Fire in the Lake. The game ended in a tie between the U.S. and Viet Cong. The VC won on the tiebreaker. A great game and highly recommended. Lots going on, challenging, and helps build a good understanding of the conflict.

Prior to that was a game of Gothic Invasion. This came down to the Goths plundering 8 of 9 victory locations. Our team of three had a chance to win in the final turn, but the card draw was sub-optimal, spelling defeat for the Goths and victory for the Romans. Great fun.

G.L.O.A.T.

Shut up and Play
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My niece is studying the French Revolution. Broke out a copy of Guillotine and "helped her study."

Little brat whooped us all.

Zugführer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I played two missions of Warfighter. Each mission took place in the jungle and I went in with two soldiers. One loss and one victory. Warfighter is okay. But not an outstanding game.