What boardgames have you played recently?

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ESG played the campaign game of Third Reich Thursday night. Eric was Germany/Italy, D.H. was Britain/France, and I was Russia. Poland fell quickly. But as Russia I decided to attack Turkey in Fall Of '40:

View attachment 48013

This next picture is taken after the Summer '41 turn. Germany was having problems bringing down France. France had declared war on Italy, and Britain conquered Lybia. I as Russia, having conquered Turkey in winterrby sea invasion on the northern coast, decided to invade Greece. Unfortunately for me I got an Attcker Eliminated result on my 1 to 1 attack at the battle for Athens, and so would have to ship more troops down for round two.

View attachment 48012

At this point we stopped for the night. We may quit playing this one, as Eric doesn't seem to be enjoying the Western Front grindfest.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thankfully, graphics and production value have increased nicely over the years making for more enjoyable gaming.

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
In my experience, if the Germans haven't conquered France by summer or fall of 1940, they're doomed.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I played Flashpoint yesterday with four of my students - now that I live on the campus, organizing a game evening is easier than previously.
We managed to save the people from the burning house.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In my experience, if the Germans haven't conquered France by summer or fall of 1940, they're doomed.
That is certainly true. And it is hard for them to do it. That's why as Russia I went on a tear of global domination. I knew I wouldn't be attacked for years. After Greece I was going for Yugoslavia.

rryeates

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
In the midst of Prague solo and via VASSAL and also have DAKII going via VASSAL. Festung Budafest CG II is set up awaiting the Russian onslaught when my opponent is next available.

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Reading over rules for Where Eagles Dare+Devil's Cauldron so can solo play some of the smaller scenarios next week when off work.

Also will play some Full Thrust spaceship combat as am awaiting arrival of new Star Trek Attack Wing DS9 space station. Cant wait to put that mini on the table.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Revolution Games' The Road to Cheren last night at First Minnesota. A clean, fun, quick playing game on the Allied push into Italian Eritrea in 1941. The Allies had success against a tough Italian defense though negotiating the restricted terrain is a challenge.

Beautiful Eritrea
View attachment 48020

Italian meatball sandwich (Italians are green counters)
View attachment 48021

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just finished SJW II Scenario 2, lee vs. Pope. I was the Confederates against Will Willow. Will won by a point when Ewell did not succeed in taking Bealeton Station.

Last edited:

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

Got the old group together recently and we have played Axis and Allies 1941, fun for quick afternoon of gaming with a group.

We just started Roads to Gettysburg on Saturday and did scenario #3?? Meade Moves North. This was more or less a dry run
and we plan to start to the Campaign game in December. GCACW is a very fluid and fun system. Very nice maps and relative low unit density
make for quick play.

Regards
Joe

Faded 8-1

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
GCACW is indeed quite good. Gonna have to get it on the table again soon.

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
About to tackle the 2 player version of Puerto Rico with my wife.... Spent the morning watching youtube how to's.... Looks fun! Interesting phase mechanics...

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Spent quite a deal of time trying to find a good WW III (3) board game. But they are all so hopelessly dated.

Corwin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
About to tackle the 2 player version of Puerto Rico with my wife.... Spent the morning watching youtube how to's.... Looks fun! Interesting phase mechanics...
My wife and I enjoy this one too. We use the variant of drawing random production buildings to mix things up a bit game by game.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Cuba - a Euro Game. Trying this for the first time, I liked it. However, I was stupid enough messing up my (otherwise sure) victory by thinking that there was one more round before game end... :paperbag:

von Marwitz