What boardgames have you played recently?

G.L.O.A.T.

Shut up and Play
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recent chatter about the COIN games got me pulling Andean Abyss and Cubra Libre down on looking them over. Might read thru these and give one a try this weekend with some friends.

Glennbo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now that ESG has stopped producing scenario packs we can play different games other than ASL.

ESG played "Wooden Ships and Iron Men" last night. We each took a ship, and sailed around shooting at each other until my Spanish frigate forced D.H.'s English frigate to stike the colors.

View attachment 47611

After this battle we played a game with two ships each...one frigate and one ship of the line. We were using the basic rules in order to reacquaint ourselves with the movement mechanics and battle charts.

I would like to play the advanced game next week, but D.S. didn't enjoy playing this very much, and seems to want to play something else.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now that ESG has stopped producing scenario packs we can play different games other than ASL.

ESG played "Wooden Ships and Iron Men" last night. We each took a ship, and sailed around shooting at each other until my Spanish frigate forced D.H.'s English frigate to stike the colors.

View attachment 47611

After this battle we played a game with two ships each...one frigate and one ship of the line. We were using the basic rules in order to reacquaint ourselves with the movement mechanics and battle charts.

I would like to play the advanced game next week, but D.S. didn't enjoy playing this very much, and seems to want to play something else.
Glennbo,
Close Action is vastly superior to WS&IM. I would call CA the ASL of Napoleonic naval games...

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Glennbo,
Close Action is vastly superior to WS&IM. I would call CA the ASL of Napoleonic naval games...
I am not certain I agree (but I am not certain I disagree either). This summer Doug and I played both. While CA was more detailed and maybe a better sailing ship simulation (like ASL), we found WSIM more fun. CA just got boring (somewhat tedious at times) while WSIM was more fun while ships sailed around blasting each other.

We plan on re-visiting both for more play and really dive into one of them. Both are worth playing no doubt, but we were disappointed with our (admittedly limited) CA experience.

Peace

Roger

Last edited:

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am not certain I agree (but I am not certain I disagree either). This summer Doug and I played both. While CA was more detailed and maybe a better sailing ship simulation (like ASL), we found WSIM more fun. CA just got boring (somewhat tedious at times) while WSIM was more fun while ships sailed around blasting each other.

We plan on re-visiting both for more play and really dive into one of them. Both are worth playing no doubt, but we were disappointed with our (admittedly limited) CA experience.

Peace

Roger
I guess YMMV. I would never play WS&IM after playing CA, but that may not be true for everybody...
Steve

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I guess YMMV. I would never play WS&IM after playing CA, but that may not be true for everybody...
Steve
I agree on both accounts. Playing Trafalgar with JR and I running down the French line was a highlight of my CA playing. -- jim

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
DYO even at WS&IM, you rascal Glennbo. What is the game Kevin Graves plays re: the sailing ship era?

bennerc

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am nine turns into an old (1983) GDW game called 8th Army: Operation Crusader, the Winter Battles of Tobruk, 1941. The mechanics are fairly straightforward, but it's played double blind, which is really cool.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Steve
Its odd.......at its heart CA seems like it is the better game. But we had more fun playing WSIM. WSIM was probably not as "realistic" but we were sailing around blasting each other. Which was fun.

That being said, we do plan to re-visit soon. We will probably hit CA first to give it another shot.

Peace

Roger

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
CCA yesterday.
Antiochos won at Raphia.
Darius won at Issus.
History top side down.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Which edition? How long does it take to play a full game?
Thanks,
Steve
Just had the same thoughts. I know it is possible to play via VASSAL. I am aware of a convention in Germany as well. I have quite a lot of WiF stuff but never played it as it is another one of those games that need real commitment to get into - all the more without anyone teaching.

von Marwitz

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Just had the same thoughts. I know it is possible to play via VASSAL. I am aware of a convention in Germany as well. I have quite a lot of WiF stuff but never played it as it is another one of those games that need real commitment to get into - all the more without anyone teaching.

von Marwitz
I have always wanted to get into WiF. I have the entire thing 5th edition and the FE edition. If I ever solo it I would go t with 5th as the two maps can fit on my table, otherwise I would have to just do one theater.

The Final Edition VASSAL module is pretty good from what I see. Though it would take a while to even figure that out. I read the WiF Yahoo group but have refrained from asking for a tutor until I know I have the time to devote. Th rules themselves are not really all that long (in comparison to A World at War and some of the other in the genre')

Peace

Roger

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sekigahara GMT

Howdy-

Played this purely driven card game set during the Jap civil war unification of Japan. I have played this game a number of times and each time it has been a total blast. The japs have to both maneuver and gain resources plus outwit their enemy. The cards basically tell you what you can attack with which can be a real kick in the ball's if you draw a couple of bad hands.

I lost, but the final battle was epic, as I just ran out of cards to stop my opponent from winning. This is truly a fantastic game.

Scott
PS: Did set up an ASL scenario earlier but still find myself not really up to playing ASL still.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
I have always wanted to get into WiF. I have the entire thing 5th edition and the FE edition. If I ever solo it I would go t with 5th as the two maps can fit on my table, otherwise I would have to just do one theater.

The Final Edition VASSAL module is pretty good from what I see. Though it would take a while to even figure that out. I read the WiF Yahoo group but have refrained from asking for a tutor until I know I have the time to devote. Th rules themselves are not really all that long (in comparison to A World at War and some of the other in the genre')

Peace

Roger
The required time one has to devote to it is the main thing which is keeping me back, too.
If you have both 5th and Final edition, why wouldn't you use the Final edition? Is the map size so much different?

von Marwitz

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
They (Matrix Games) computerized World in Flames earlier this year, its like 120 bucks or something.

I had it way way back and traded it for KGP 1, I think I got the better deal...

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
They (Matrix Games) computerized World in Flames earlier this year, its like 120 bucks or something.

I had it way way back and traded it for KGP 1, I think I got the better deal...
In fact, I bought that last year in October where it was already available at "Spiel" trade fair in Essen with Matrix CEO present. This collector's edition came with a very well made 3 volume hard-cover manual (that is one volume of rules, two volumes of player's manual). As a mind boggling extra, this version has a truly epic 6 feet by 21 feet printed world map.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/296/details/World.In.Flames

I have not checked it out yet... But I could not resist.

After many, many years of development, they have finally released it, but it appears to be still a fickle mistress with many bugs. The initial version has been updated and bugfixed numerous times by now. I guess, that many bugs are discovered now that people actually try to play it.

And it has to be mentioned, that the game does not include an AI. You play it via Matrix-Servers with other "real" opponents or solitaire.

von Marwitz