What boardgames have you played recently?

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They are all ideal for 4 players. Not sure which ones play best with less than 4...
Oh boy, you just cost me a lot of money. I'm a sucker for good multiplayer games. What do you recommend I try first?

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Oh boy, you just cost me a lot of money. I'm a sucker for good multiplayer games. What do you recommend I try first?
Cuba Libre is the shortest and the best one to cut your teeth on. I don't like Andean Abyss as much as the others and would skip it, but it isn't a bad game. A Distant Plain and Fire in the Lake both have a great feel to them. I only played Fire in the Lake once so my opinion there is not well substantiated. Good luck...

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
Except for Cuba Libre, I've played them all. I wasn't as fond of Distant Plain as I was Andean Abyss or Fire In The Lake. We started with Andean Abyss and were playing meaningfully well within the course of an evening. The interrelationships in Fire In The Lake are more complex and so it takes longer to play. I'm eager to play Fire In The Lake again, but I would still say Andean Abyss is my favorite.

For fewer than four players, there are "bot" rules to handle the non-player factions.

sunoftzu

Reaction score
Country
llTaiwan
Just about every Tuesday and Thursday afternoon, I play Strat-O-Matic Baseball with an expat work college (Bobby Madrigal). Over the past few years we've played all sorts of teams, but at the moment, we are working our way through a league Bobby created, which has integrated Baseball's HoF, with the Negro League All-Stars.

Strat-O-Matic Baseball absolutely rocks!!!

Absolutely nuts about this game; too bad there isn't something like this for cricket!!!

John Knowles.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Circus Train last Friday at the First Minnesota gaming night. It was a 5-player fun festivas.

I will be settling down and playing some ASL tomorrow night with a player who wants to move from SK to full-ASL. Really looking forward to it.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
I played d and d for the first time in 30 years last night - my best friend has bought the 5th edition starter kit for his kids andI was roped in for that. I'm staying with them for a week and it seems they want to play every night I'm here. Fun.

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Breaking the Chains from Compass Games.

It's based on modern China vs FICC (First Island Chain Coalition) in the South China Sea. Looks interesting on first solo play.

G.L.O.A.T.

Shut up and Play
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And a nominee for the "Wargame Rules Section Title All Name Club"

1.23 Goofy Wargamer Stuff Safety Valve

From The Mighty Endeavor.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can't find Cuba Libre anywhere. Sold out. Same with the Andean Abyss.

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Shifting Sands 1942 scenario, won with the Allies in a great game. This is my favorite non-ASL game. My top 10 are:
1. Shifting Sands
2. Russia Beseiged
3. Bitter Woods
4. Monty's Gamble
5. Memoir 44
6. Battle Cry
7. Blood & Steel Kursk series
8. Storm Over Stalingrad
9. Race for Tunis/Bloody Kasserine series
10. Battle Lore

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
if you got to board game geek you will find sellers for both of these games, just look up the game and the sellers are listed some private some commercial
Thanks for the reminder. I'm a frequent visitor to the geek since I play euros almost as much as ASL and I visited there to see what vendors had it for sale. But, I spaced on gamers that might have it. I will try to work out a trade for it.

WesN

Vicious Coon
Reaction score
First name
Wes
Country
llUnited States
Phantom Leader Deluxe, D-Day at Omaha Beach just started learning these two. Played some Agricola 2 player as well.