What boardgames have you played recently?

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing solo game of SCS Bastogne,the entire 10 turn battle. Really enjoy It Never Snows so thought time to put this one on the table.

Setting up Lock N Load Forgotten Heroes (Vietnam module) as am running a scenario at Heat of Battle con at the National WW2 Museum August 8-10.

Also spraying maps and counters for Decision Game's monster Atlantic Wall,new version using GOSS rules. This will be on my play list for my August vacation week.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
GMT's new Thunder Alley and Lifeboat this past Friday. Thumbs up on both -- both multi-player and play fast.

dynaman

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've got It Never Snows setup on the game table for playing on Thursday and Friday. My friend and I took the 2 days off in honor of not going to Historicon.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
finished up game of Close Action (it was boring). Then we played Innovation (my first time playing) with both expansions. I like the game a lot.

Peace

Roger

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We had a group of 17 over to the house last night. Mostly NASA summer interns that I am trying to introduce in gaming. Game play included a number of older classics:

Ra
Puerto Rico
Nexus Ops
Star Realm
Love Letter

Everyone seemed to have a good time as this equaled our largest gathering and a number of the intern have asked about buying their own copies of the games.

I was also able to get a Sunday night playing of Dungeon Lords in with two second-time players and a first timer. I finished third to the new guy and one of the second-timers in a really closely scored game.

One of the guys decided to go in "all evil" and it paid off when he captured both Paladins as well as three other adventurers. While taking the most damage, he was, in addition to winning the most Evil Title, able to capture the Titles for most Imps and most Halls.

Next time we play, we are going to use the Dungeon Lords expansion to add some additional flavor to the game.

Helmseye

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
found a game harder to learn than asl! its true its called birds of prey

I tried to fly in a straight line and nearly had an embolism, still I think I may of had fun somewhere in the experience but it looks like you need to be a pilot to play it

had a few games of labyrinth today though so feel much better..

Chris Drake

Capitalist Pig
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Playing Bastogne tomorrow with a friend who wants to learn the SCS series. Have set aside the time from 10:30-6pm. Hopefully that will be enoigh time to play the entire campaign. I might convince him do just do.a scenario so we can also play a short ASL scenario.

stuh42asl

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just started playing Wings of Glory and now Sails of Glory from Ares games. Both are historical and easy to learn, especially for us old guys :) Give them a look
lots of support out there as well.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I just have received Mage Knight.
I have played two solo scenarios and I am having a blast!
Even though I have lost twice (there is a steep learning curve), the fact that each turn really is a puzzle to solve ("How may I reach that objective with the means at hand?") and some elements of randomness (cards, map exploration) make replayability very high.
Excellent for soloing, as well as competitive or cooperative play (different scenarios provided).
I am really liking that game.
I will play with my (15 y. o.) son today (he is less enthusiastic about boardgames than previously, but MK seems to interest him a lot).

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
SCS Bastogne is a great game. Just revisited Nightfighter from GMT, almost forgot how good this game is and how quick playing it can be.

P

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just pulled hit the purchase button for Last Chance at Victory from Gamer's Armory. I played Terrible Swift Sword a fair amount pre-ASL days. I really like civil war stuff, and I've heard good things about this game. ASL is a harsh mistress, so we will see if my straying lasts.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I just picked a copy of that up as well. I look forward to getting into it. Just started the rule books......

Peace

Roger

spooner

Reaction score
Country
ll
Band of Brothers Wothington Games.
Past few game nites we have been giving this one go. Started of using the rules that came with BoB, then we D/loaded the Ghost Div. rules. These improved way OP & final OP fire were handle, also dropped proficient value from the counter, & added a proficient fire value.
On whole the games we played have been ok.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just picked a copy of that up as well. I look forward to getting into it. Just started the rule books......

Peace

Roger
I've waded into the rules. It really makes me appreciate the ASLRB. Indexing, cross references, extensive examples. Other designers could learn a lot about writing a rule book from the ASL authors / editors....

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From page 1 of the LOB Series Rules, v2.0:

"To learn to play, browse through the rules and components. Try to develop a good idea of the contents. Then read the rules lightly. Do not try to memorize them! Set up a few units at random and run through the game’s procedures. As questions arise, look up the answers. Try to imagine why a rule is the way it is. After these tentative steps, play the shorter scenarios and look up any uncertainties as you go."

Not exactly how one approaches learning the ASLRB...:D

I've waded into the rules. It really makes me appreciate the ASLRB. Indexing, cross references, extensive examples. Other designers could learn a lot about writing a rule book from the ASL authors / editors....

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
SCS Bastogne is a great game. Just revisited Nightfighter from GMT, almost forgot how good this game is and how quick playing it can be.

P
Nightfighter can even be played solo quite well with the solo rules by Prof. Philip Sabin of KCL.

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
RAF 2nd edition by Decision Games.

I really like this game. There's enough randomness to keep playing this.

:)

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Panzer blitz, a classic and using the early war variant counters for Kv Tec. Also a lot of ARMA 2, not a board game, but the best mil SIM out there on PC.

Cheers

Perry

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
As a whole I find Gamers rules poorly written (how the hell does one read the rules "lightly" SMILE, you either read 'em or you do not). But I think the concepts themselves pretty easy to grasp. My luck with rules this year has been poor. First I started with Nation in Arms from Compass games. Terrible rule book. Terrible. So then we moved on to Napoleon Against Europe. Made the Nations in Arms rulebook look good. Finally Great Battles of History. Yeah its an easy game, but the the rules lacking.

All this rules reading made me appreciate the ASL rulebook. With all our bitching, its very solid especially considering its (needed) depth.

Peace

Roger