What boardgames have you played recently?

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I also (shame on me) got RE last week. As always MMP packs a fantastic deal for any game.

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I ordered Splendor after playing it at our First Minnesota Boardgaming Group. A fun, fast 2-4 player card and chip game. Easy to learn and can be played in less than an hour. Great filler for when you are waiting for someone else to finish a game or arrive to play.

clavain

Waiting for Godot
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Failed RRTC (Resist RPG Task Check). Just bought Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords card game. Curse you Robin!

Luckily(?) I have the PDFs of the original Adventure Path stashed away somewhere too. Just need to make my Search dr.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Failed RRTC (Resist RPG Task Check). Just bought Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords card game. Curse you Robin!

Luckily(?) I have the PDFs of the original Adventure Path stashed away somewhere too. Just need to make my Search dr.
Actually, PACG is a standalone game and the adventure path is included in the adventure packs.
You will need to buy the adventures past #1 in addition to the base game.
Sorry to have led you to succumb to temptation (especially as I am a teacher in theology and was pastor for about 27 years !).

clavain

Waiting for Godot
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sorry to have led you to succumb to temptation
No prob, I'll just go say fifty Richard Dawkins now... ;-)

I've been toying with getting into Pathfinder RPG for some years now and have a bunch of the stuff from when it first came out, including most of the core books as free beta PDFs. Just never have as it is nearly impossible to get a regular gaming group together given time commitments of folks and the like (hard enough to get regular ASL in). Still, a boy can dream. And PF card game has the advantage, as you mentioned, of being designed for solo games as well. Your review, and several others I have seen, have all been glowing, looking forward to trying it out.

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
A few weeks ago I picked up GMT's "Roads to Moscow" on the battles of Mozhaysk (Borodino) and Mtsensk 1941. The Mtsensk looks like a much more playable game than the slightly later battle done in The Gamer's "GD '41".

I will get GMT's Hoplite when it comes out.

ChuckD

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Speaking of The Gamers TCS series, I am trying to reacquaint myself with Canadian Crucible.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
No prob, I'll just go say fifty Richard Dawkins now... ;-)
Well, even as an atheist, one could really find better a reference of sound thinking - man, the guy is so poor at biblical exegesis...
After having read his "God's Delusion" I was sighing : "Send us worthy enemies, not guys with half-baked, worn out arguments..."

I've been toying with getting into Pathfinder RPG for some years now and have a bunch of the stuff from when it first came out, including most of the core books as free beta PDFs. Just never have as it is nearly impossible to get a regular gaming group together given time commitments of folks and the like (hard enough to get regular ASL in). Still, a boy can dream. And PF card game has the advantage, as you mentioned, of being designed for solo games as well. Your review, and several others I have seen, have all been glowing, looking forward to trying it out.
Be conscious that PACG is not a RPG.
But it sets up and plays fast, and you keep the character progression and feel of the kill/loot thing.
I fits what I was looking for, but I presume that other people won't like it.

Note that there is another basic game + adventures about to come out, along a path of pirate adventures - partly compatible (at least when it comes to the characters) with the present game.

clavain

Waiting for Godot
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well, even as an atheist, one could really find better a reference of sound thinking - man, the guy is so poor at biblical exegesis...
After having read his "God's Delusion" I was sighing : "Send us worthy enemies, not guys with half-baked, worn out arguments..."

Be conscious that PACG is not a RPG.
But it sets up and plays fast, and you keep the character progression and feel of the kill/loot thing.
I fits what I was looking for, but I presume that other people won't like it.

Note that there is another basic game + adventures about to come out, along a path of pirate adventures - partly compatible (at least when it comes to the characters) with the present game.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_deGrasse_Tyson

You're welcome. ;-)

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Played my first game of the Great Battles of History series, Samurai, last week. Its fun and we are getting the rules down. So I see some play of that for a few live VASSAL sessions.

Peace

Roger

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I just replayed Command and Colours : Ancients yesterday.
I had a blast playing Marathon.
Greeks won by an edge (6 banners vs 5 banners for the Persians).
It is a simple, fast game, that nevertheless gives you the feel of the battle.
I should take it more often down from its shelf...

clavain

Waiting for Godot
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Are the rules to that system based on GMT's Great Battles of History series, and scaled down/simplified Robin do you know? If I could find the core ancients set around at a reasonable price I might pick it up, but all that seems to be in stores around here are the expansions and the Napoleonic stuff (not interested in the latter).

I just replayed Command and Colours : Ancients yesterday.
I had a blast playing Marathon.
Greeks won by an edge (6 banners vs 5 banners for the Persians).
It is a simple, fast game, that nevertheless gives you the feel of the battle.
I should take it more often down from its shelf...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Are the rules to that system based on GMT's Great Battles of History series, and scaled down/simplified Robin do you know? If I could find the core ancients set around at a reasonable price I might pick it up, but all that seems to be in stores around here are the expansions and the Napoleonic stuff (not interested in the latter).
No. They are the Richard Borg's sytem (cf. Memoir 44 and Battlelore).
Much simpler than GBoH, but very well adapted to Ancients warfare.
I find that you get the feel of the battle without the clutter of counters of the GBoH system - and the battles play fast (30' to an hour).
The basic box (Romans/Carthaginians) is available : https://www.gmtgames.com/p-373-commands-colors-ancients-4th-printing.aspx as well as the Greek/Eastern expansion : https://www.gmtgames.com/p-393-c-c-ancients-exp-1-greece-the-eastern-kingdoms-reprint.aspx

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I ordered Splendor after playing it at our First Minnesota Boardgaming Group. A fun, fast 2-4 player card and chip game. Easy to learn and can be played in less than an hour. Great filler for when you are waiting for someone else to finish a game or arrive to play.
Another vote for Splendor. Played it at club meeting thi s past Saturday, along with Keltic, Family Business, and Fleet card game.

clavain

Waiting for Godot
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
No. They are the Richard Borg's sytem (cf. Memoir 44 and Battlelore).
Much simpler than GBoH, but very well adapted to Ancients warfare.
I find that you get the feel of the battle without the clutter of counters of the GBoH system - and the battles play fast (30' to an hour).
The basic box (Romans/Carthaginians) is available : https://www.gmtgames.com/p-373-commands-colors-ancients-4th-printing.aspx as well as the Greek/Eastern expansion : https://www.gmtgames.com/p-393-c-c-ancients-exp-1-greece-the-eastern-kingdoms-reprint.aspx
Ta, rep gun empty.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I have GMT's Hoplite on pre-order with SCG who should be getting it in this week. So sometime next week before I get it. I did download and read the rules and playbook (scenarios). It looks like Hoplite and Chariots of Fire are the easiest way to get into GBoH, some simplifications without losing the flavour. Of course the Simple variants (SGBoH) are included in the box. I regard GBoH as second only to ASL.

Last edited:

clavain

Waiting for Godot
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have GMT's Hoplite on pre-order with SCG who should be getting it in this week. So sometime next week before I get it. I did download and read the rules and playbook (scenarios). It looks like Hoplite and Chariots of Fire are the easiest way to get into GBoH, some simplifications with loosing the flavour. Of course the Simple variants (SGBoH) are included in the box. I regard GBoH as second only to ASL.
Can't rep you but I concur, although I would place GBoH in a dead heat with the Fighting Wings series of games from Clash of Arms for second place.

Edit: I vaguely recall seeing a pilot with the moniker "Gor-Gor" flying around in the online FW world back in the day too...

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got Munchkins and Munchkin Legends to play with the fiancee and kids... As of now the kids will only backstab each other or me... Mom is left to climb to the top unmolested..