What boardgames have you played recently?

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Attended the 4 day Game On convention in Issaquah. Taught 4 player Mage Wars, Pathfinder and Thunderstone: Advance to my good friends Darrell and Christian, and their cousins. They liked Mage Wars the best and bought it from the vendor who supported the con. Then played in the ASL tournament. Also played speed / drunk ASL with Joe Venaruci late Sat night. Will write an AAR soon.

Games I want to buy from watching the other 108 attendees play... Hunters (a submarine game) that looks like a really cool solitaire wargame in the same vein as B-17 and Patton's Best (but more detailed with campaigns) that was run for 4 players all weekend where anyone could jump in and run a sub, then go play another game. Merchants and Marauders, the guys playing stated it was the best pirate game they've ever played.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Today at the Cleveland Boardgamer's Club meeting, I played:
D & D - Lords of Water Deep- I agree this is a great 'worker placement' game. I had not played before, but felt comfortable with my Grok level after just a couple of turns (We even played with two expansions). Just misreading an intrigue card on the last turn messed up my entire plan for the end game-but I was in it up until then. :(

I would definitely play this one again any time. The game flowed nicely even in the later turns (where some of these types of games seem to bog down)

The played 'Alhambra'. It was OK for a quick filler. A tile placement dealio, typical of Queen games

Finished with 'Terra Mystica', which was a bit more complex and hard to really understand the interplay of the different paths to points and strategies the first time through. Does look like a lot of replay value, though.
Waterdeep with the two expansions is one of my favorites. It ends at the right time and you wish you had one more turn, which is always a good sign. It was being played all weekend at the con and it and the Skullport expansion was the grand prize during the game give away Sat night. GMT and Lock N Load gave away lots and lots of games. And LnL was there running a tourney and playtesting two new games. Their space game looks really good and one of the cousins who played it preordered it right on the spot.

I'm reading thru the Terra Mystica and Caverna rules right now. Both look really good, but I want to give Firefly a chance first. TM with all the different races looks to have lots of replayability. The lady, Suzanne, who ran the euro games all weekend was selling her Agricola at the swap meet, because she didn't need it any more now that she had Caverna, so I'm looking forward to seeing what all the hubbub is about.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Waterdeep with the two expansions is one of my favorites. It ends at the right time and you wish you had one more turn, which is always a good sign. It was being played all weekend at the con and it and the Skullport expansion was the grand prize during the game give away Sat night. GMT and Lock N Load gave away lots and lots of games. And LnL was there running a tourney and playtesting two new games. Their space game looks really good and one of the cousins who played it preordered it right on the spot.

I'm reading thru the Terra Mystica and Caverna rules right now. Both look really good, but I want to give Firefly a chance first. TM with all the different races looks to have lots of replayability. The lady, Suzanne, who ran the euro games all weekend was selling her Agricola at the swap meet, because she didn't need it any more now that she had Caverna, so I'm looking forward to seeing what all the hubbub is about.
Man, I gotta make it to a game convention. That sounded like a lot of fun.

Aces

Reaction score
I played craps, blackjack ,four card poker and Texas Hold-em on a recent trip to Vegas.
I should have stayed home and played ASL ,it wasn't a profitable trip.

Aces

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Lords of Waterdeep last weekend. Four player game - wife won, I came last.

Finally completed a particular Pathfinder Card Game scenario from the Skinsaw Murders adventure deck at the fourth attempt. We're both enjoying Pathfinder.

More Waterdep tomorrow probably, with a few hands of the remarkable Hanabi thrown in.

hongkongwargamer

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I heard! Got the rules and plan to take a look after the SG tourney. Hope you are well! Rgds Jack

Jon (witchesbottles) and I played AH Turning Point Stalingrad for a couple of hours last week. We will try to play more this next week. Its a fun old game and a blast to play, we suck at the rules compared to ASL but we still had a blast.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mech Commander 1998 version.

Haven't touched it in years and had a blast showing my grand-kids how it works on a big screen TV (55 inch)....

esprcorn

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just ordered For King and Country, Doom Battalions and Rising Sun from Gamers Armory taking advantage of a special promo opening a new credit card... This get's me up to specs with all the available 'Core' modules... Gonna need more Plano...

ASLFAN

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've gotten in a few games in of Twilight Strategy. (on line)

I really enjoy the pressure of the game.

DC

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
We had a full 5 player game of the old SPI game, Spies. It is now over 30 years old, but, given the recent growth in popularity of CDGs, now seems well ahead of its time. A remake surely beckons....

For the record, France won, with Italy second, Russia third, Germany fourth and Britain brining up the rear

JimWhite

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Purchased the PC-based Victory in the Pacific and have been slogging through everything I can find about it.

A very detail-oriented game to say the least...

Wayne

Doing Plenty, Kinda Slow
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Magic the Gathering (Standard format).

I enjoy the inherent design (and redesign) challenges occasioned by WotC's periodic additions to and deletions from the Standard format.

MtG allows me some gaming fun w/folks who have no interest in board wargaming, and it plays quickly.

It's refreshing, too, to spend the occasional Friday night out with the (very) young who flock to play the game at hobby shops.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We had a full 5 player game of the old SPI game, Spies. It is now over 30 years old, but, given the recent growth in popularity of CDGs, now seems well ahead of its time. A remake surely beckons....

For the record, France won, with Italy second, Russia third, Germany fourth and Britain brining up the rear
A kickass game and one of my all time favorites. It still has a prominent place on my game shelf. Lots of end memories of that game.

In a German accent, "Do you have zee papiers?"

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Magic the Gathering (Standard format).

I enjoy the inherent design (and redesign) challenges occasioned by WotC's periodic additions to and deletions from the Standard format.

MtG allows me some gaming fun w/folks who have no interest in board wargaming, and it plays quickly.

It's refreshing, too, to spend the occasional Friday night out with the (very) young who flock to play the game at hobby shops.
Try Mage Wars some time. It is simply better in every facet of gaming than MTG. It's not collectable, you play on a board, so it's extremely tactical, deliciously so! You build your spell book any way you want, you even get two spell books that hold the cards in the base set, you can choose any 2 cards to play per turn, so you're never screwed by a bad draw. A base set is $39, but if you buy 2 sets you can play a 4 player game with 2 teams or a 4 player free-for- all. Each Mage has their own unique abilities and they release new Mages with great cards for each of the mages about every 3 months.

I consider it the ASL of the fantasy world, because of the level of strategy involved. The combat system is easy, but makes a lot of sense. And the creatures, conjugations and enchantments that you cast and move around on the board adds to the tactical level of play.

I cannot recommend Mage Wars highly enough.