What boardgames have you played recently?

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LAst Saturday played '7 Wonders' and 'Dominant Species: Card Game'. The latter was a first time for everyone,. Looks like a simple game with sometimes difficult decisions.

takai

Reaction score
Country
llSwitzerland
Learning the Grand Tactical Series as Where Eagles Dare arrived about a week ago. Absolutely stunning map and counters. Cut up all the counter sheets first thing. Later I noticed that the first two sheets are for the scenarios and need to be kept separate. Have been separating them for a couple of hours now. Well, some PBEM interruptions on the way, so not too bad for a friday night.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Learning the Grand Tactical Series as Where Eagles Dare arrived about a week ago. Absolutely stunning map and counters. Cut up all the counter sheets first thing. Later I noticed that the first two sheets are for the scenarios and need to be kept separate. Have been separating them for a couple of hours now. Well, some PBEM interruptions on the way, so not too bad for a friday night.
Hey that's my Fish!

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I played Mice and Mystics most of the day.
A wonderful cooperative and sweet game, where heroes are men transformed into mice, fighting against roaches, rats, spiders, centipedes... and the castle's evil cat Brodie.
Very immersive and nice to play.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Taught GF how to Play 'Morels' and she beat me both games.
Then played '12 Days of Christmas' with her two children (20 and 17) on Christmas day and won that one.

Both purchased at Gamer's Armory.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last night played Stone Age with Style is the Goal expansion and won that game. Then played two games of Lords of Waterdeep and finished dead last both times. Tomorrow I'm meeting the same group and hope to play using the Waterdeep expansion and also play Revolution.

Today I'm going to my sisters and hope to play Escape then meet the guys for ASL at 6:00 PM. But right now, I'm going hiking! See you in 7 miles.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually played a non ASL game yesterday called Plains of disappointment. Displacement? Oh i forgot. Anyway the game is by GMT and is a card driven game about the war in Afghanistan. You have four factions, the Coalition, The Afgan Gov forces, The Warlords, and the Taliban. Each card drawn is pretty important to each side. I was the dirty raghead arab taliban and my mission was to cause as much chaos and discontent. The Warlords another rag head group of arabs who's main mission was to make money off the drug trade.

Anyway, fun game, very resource driven, its like one of those games where you gather your resources for a bit then do your thing.

Scott

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I played "Relic" on january 2 and today.
It is a Warhammer 40000 version of Talisman.
Not bad at all, with some interesting twists.
I am not an absolute fan of the Warhammer 40+ universe, but I spent a nice time with my son (14 y. o.) today.
The game can drag if you play with "thinkers" (there is a lot of text on the cards, and some people will take ages to choose between two cards, etc.), but if your opponents are there for fun and are conscious enough of the wide luck factor, you can play it in a reasonable time (quite like Talisman actually).

I also purchased the City expansion of Talisman, and I am looking forward to trying it some day.

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played GUILLOTINE, a game of the French Revolution.
Played SETTLERS, using the cards instead of dice (an expansion that comes with Traders & Barbarians)

Then we played NUCLEAR WAR.

A good life...

Mark DV
Ada, MI

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
-It Never Snows....... I really like this game

-Pathfinder card game...... really like this as well

Peace

Roger

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
-Pathfinder card game...... really like this as well

Peace

Roger
Great news. I just ordered the basic set, the additional hero pack and the first 2 scenario packs. I needed a co-op where my twins and I could all work together. They fight when we play other non co-op games.

Really wanted the Robinson Crusoe game, but the reprint sold out too fast and they didn't print enough copies. Will have to wait again.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Was fiddling with Matrix Games Norm Krugers The Operational Art of War again, and also Matrix Games Gary Grigsby's War in the East again...fiddle faddling...

Blind Sniper

Diversamente magro...
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Was fiddling with Matrix Games Norm Krugers The Operational Art of War again, and also Matrix Games Gary Grigsby's War in the East again...fiddle faddling...
WitE has a wonderful OOB but the scale is totally wrong for my taste, anyhow I'm playing WitP:AE again (small scenarios).

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
LOL, I also got WitP:AE but it's so way complex to me. What I find funny about your post is you say WITE scale is not to your taste but you're playing WitP, that is an even larger scale and more complex cause you have to manage TF, air, ground stuff. Seems you can spend a week of real time on just a single turn with all the stuff to manage in that game.

I still love SP Camo Steel Panthers WW2, its the best tactical computer war game around, it's looks and plays a lot like ASL, but the TOE is far more historic and the combat system is more like '88' or Panzer sort of, but Infantry is still deadly against tanks.

Blind Sniper

Diversamente magro...
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
What I find funny about your post is you say WITE scale is not to your taste but you're playing WitP, that is an even larger scale and more complex cause you have to manage TF, air, ground stuff. Seems you can spend a week of real time on just a single turn with all the stuff to manage in that game.
I mean the game scale, 10Km per hex and 1 week per turn. I played it a bit and I read several AARs, as Russian you have to do defense like carpet, chessborad and so on, totally ahistorical and absurd. Also airwarfare was pretty bad (I don't know now).
Moreover is a IGO-UGO game and the enemy cannot do anything in the opposite turn, even ASL is better respect a this "modern pc game".
And yes, WitP:AE is better in all aspects but you don't need several hours to do a turn, only the firsts are very time consuming.

I still love SP Camo Steel Panthers WW2, its the best tactical computer war game around, it's looks and plays a lot like ASL, but the TOE is far more historic and the combat system is more like '88' or Panzer sort of, but Infantry is still deadly against tanks.
CM is very good as well but I don't like it too much, I still prefer play ASL is I want a WWII tactical wargame.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I played a lot of "Fighting Steel", an old, graphically crude but enjoyable game, over the past year. I took a break from it at Xmas and restarted this morning for a few pleasant hours. It is a surface action only naval simulator. An oldie but goodie.