What boardgames have you played recently?

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sean Deller's Iron Brigade finished routing my CSA troops in and around the town of Gettysburg in Yaquinto's Pickett's Charge on Monday evening. Nice game and even the 1980's graphics, while not stellar, proved more than functional.

Sean also owns the Waterloo and Borodino games in the series, so those may be hitting the table in the near future.

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My computer ATE all my Total War games. Ive been having problems. Now Im stuck with Atari.

prymus

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Have not been around here much lately. My time with ASL has gone to the crapper also. I have been painting 28mm WW2 for a skirmish level game, and having a blast with it. I also made my first venture outside historical gaming with a head first dive into the game Infinity by Corvus Belli. Its a 25/28mm skirmish level sci-fi game. Very cool back story, outstanding minis, and free rules. Can never go wrong with free. So my life lately has been sitting at the painting table. Having a ton of fun with both non ASL ventures, anybody want to buy some kit?:p

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Iron and Oak from GMT, I have a liking for ACW games!

Last edited:

Cpt Homp

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pretty excited, hopefully picking up a copy of Andean abyss soon. Haven't had time for a lot of ASL recently, but I've been playing some Panzer Leader, lots of Euro's (Power Grid, Ticket to Ride, Puerto Rico, Elder Signs), but very excited to try out Andean Abyss.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Played a lot of "Fighting Steel" an old (10+ years) SSI WW2 PC battleship simulator. Sometimes I am in a mood that I have to sink something!

I got "America Conquered", the latest in L'N'L's WaW series game and it looks like I will be digging that series out again. A nice fast WW3 game for when I want something lighter than even a small ASL game.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two more games of Libertalia. Everyone who has played it wants to play again. 30 different pirates to chose from. It plays like Citadels on steroids and has a nice choosing of booty mechanism. Can't suggest this one enough for 4-6 players.

Played a 3 player game and a 4 player game of Thunderstone: Advance. One of my buddies is going to go out and buy it he liked it so much. I can't stand Dominion, but TA improves upon the deck building with a better setting, more options and some excellent changes.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Played a 3 player game and a 4 player game of Thunderstone: Advance. One of my buddies is going to go out and buy it he liked it so much. I can't stand Dominion, but TA improves upon the deck building with a better setting, more options and some excellent changes.
I do like TS, but have not moved to the Advance one (I just have the "Wrath of the Elements" and "Legions of Doom" expansions).
I also don't like Dominion at all, and do prefer TS, as it is much less "mechanical" and leaves some place to randomness.
Actually, there is a FB program which allows to play online and solo, which I mostly use.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
A four player session last night, as a friend of mine is relocating to Warsaw on diplomatic duties and we decided to have a farewell gaming session.

A good 5 hours of play - 3 games of Hanabi (this year's deserved Spiel des Jahr winner) and one game each of Archipelago and Lords of Waterdeep.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My latest computer game addcition: Plants vs.Zombies.Relatively simple, but choosing the right weapons/defenses for the particular zombie force can be intriguing. The ladder zombies give me the most trouble, but squash and chomper plants tend to be most effective.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been playing Dominions 3 on my spare time, a very good indie fantasy strategy game (conquer provinces with mideaval-era armies to get more money, more resources, more gemstones which are used for magic), have to conduct research to unlock more powerful spells for your mages (you can kind of look at them as increasingly larger artillery pieces).

... I was pleasantly surprised yesterday to find out that Dominions 4 is on pre-order for only $27 from Desura, I pre-ordered it & it's supposed to be available for download on august 31. For all you guys that love 4x games, regardless of genre, I highly recommend this, very addictive in the best traditions of MOO2 & Civ series games (has global spells & global magic items (one of a kind) similar in nature to the wonders of civ games). Illwinter (the designers/developers) are and excellent indie team in the 4x turned based strategy genre.

Two thumbs up from me :thumup::thumup:

http://www.illwinter.com/dom3/index.html ... dom3
http://www.desura.com/games/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascensions ...dom4

Cpt Homp

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just played a game of Axis and Allies tonight with some friends. Brought back memories of high school for me. Totally a-historical ending. England invades Japan, right after the Japanese navy handed it to the Americans off of Wake Island; Russia invaded all of Europe save France (Norway, all of the Balkans, Italy, Austria) plus a good chunk of the middle east. Lots of fun, with HUGE Russian/German tank battles raging across Europe the whole game. Also, the Germans did a pretty good job of holding onto Africa for the entire war. I imagine that's where they would all end up living :p

Phlegm

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Three recent:

Iron & Oak (GMT)
Rebel Raiders on the high seas
Duel of Ages II

All three get high grades for fun.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My buddy Eric was up visiting from Salt Lake and we played a 4 player game of Tzolkin: The Mayan Calendar. Excellent worker placement game where you must either place or pull them on you turn, not both. It has 6 gears that spin your workers and place them on areas that give you stronger or better resources the longer you stay on the gears. Tough decisions and various avenues to victory. Great game!

Then we played a 5 player game of Puerto Rico with New Building and Nobles expansions. I will not play Puerto Rico without those two expansions. It changes the game significantly and makes a great game better.