What boardgames have you played recently?

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Libertalia - my group liked it so much they wanted to play again, which is always the best sign. 30 different pirates fighting over booty. Great theme, lots of strategy, great game.

I have Elder Signs: Omens on my phone which I understand is similar to Arkham Horror. Somehow I think Arkham Horror must be better, because I really don't care for Elder Signs... How would you compare them?
They are completely different games. Elder Signs is a basic roll the dice and match the symbols to defeat the bad guys game. Not much to it. Arkham Horror is a much deeper and longer game. I had to sell my copy of AH, because my group likes games that play in the 1-2 hour range. AH can take 4-5 hours, but with the right crowd can be an immersive and fun experience.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Kharkov from a very old S&T magazine - it was the first wargame I bought (published in late 70's but originally bought it late 80's, gave it away to a friend then bought it on ebay recently, still a good deal at $20). Had not played it for about 17 years or so but had a good time.

Browning

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Speaking of the mythos was able to test play "Cthulhu Wars" this past weekend. It's pretty and fast with a game usually lasting only an hour. It is currently on Kickstarter with 4 days to go. Be warned though it is expensive but you get a lot for your money.

Sapper_D

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Speaking of the mythos was able to test play "Cthulhu Wars" this past weekend. It's pretty and fast with a game usually lasting only an hour. It is currently on Kickstarter with 4 days to go. Be warned though it is expensive but you get a lot for your money.
I've just been reading the latest CW session reports over at BGG and I'm sure looking forward to this one. Your right when you say it's expensive but there's a ton of plasticrack for your money. I think I'll only push my EB pledge to just over $200 so I can get the stretch reward GOOs though I wish the bank balance was a bit better so I could pledge for the whole lot...Anyway, played a great game of Railways of the World which is a family favourite. I managed to pull ahead in the final two turns with several seven link deliveries :D

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Roads to Moscow by GMT. the battles of Mtsensk and Mohzhaisk 1941.

La Bataille de Mocsowa (excellent game system by Clash of Arms)
The 'command system' is abominable, though. It is, to me, more a tactical battle system for resolving firefights than a complete whole due to the poor command mechanics. La Batt games have few peers when it comes to graphic presentation, ...not even close.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
When not playing ASL face to face (usually once a week), or playing ASL via VASL/PBEM, then I am playing the computer game Steel Panthers World War 2 from SPCAMO (it's free, but if you pay the 30 bucks you can increase your monitor size plus a few extras). Its like ASL sort of, kind of but different.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
When not playing ASL face to face (usually once a week), or playing ASL via VASL/PBEM, then I am playing the computer game Steel Panthers World War 2 from SPCAMO (it's free, but if you pay the 30 bucks you can increase your monitor size plus a few extras). Its like ASL sort of, kind of but different.
Where can one get it ?
Is it compatible with Win 7 (and a 64 bit processor)?

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Yes I am running W7, 64 bit, make sure you get the patches there maybe a full screen update or exe to add, but can't recall since I have the full version and it's been a while since I updated that piece.

Let me know if you have any issues and I'll help you out.

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sean Deller and I celebrated the 150th Anniversary of the battle of Gettysburg by spending the day playing Yaquinto's Pickett's Charge. First time playing for me and although the graphics were a little outdated, I really enjoyed the game.

It has inspired me to break out a few ACW games that have been lingering on my shelves and start reading some more rules.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Sean Deller and I celebrated the 150th Anniversary of the battle of Gettysburg by spending the day playing Yaquinto's Pickett's Charge. First time playing for me and although the graphics were a little outdated, I really enjoyed the game.

It has inspired me to break out a few ACW games that have been lingering on my shelves and start reading some more rules.
I am in VA beach this week. Wish I knew you were getting together in the Deller lair. I would have tried to break free to play something. Maybe next time. Weather has been great though. Lots of sun and sand for me. -- jim

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
D'oh! You should have called!

I'm headed down to NC for the weekend and will hopefully get some gaming in tomorrow at the Gamer's Armory with Scott Blanton. :)

Enjoy the rest of your vacation and give us a call next time.

Bill

I am in VA beach this week. Wish I knew you were getting together in the Deller lair. I would have tried to break free to play something. Maybe next time. Weather has been great though. Lots of sun and sand for me. -- jim

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Warmachine/Hordes miniatures...best damned miniatures game I have ever played.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Monsters Menace America. The giant lobster stormed ashore from the Louisianna swamps and ate everything! Klick-A-Clack!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ascendency

ok its a old CPU game LOVE the graphics, and if you put in the patch for the "antag.exe" A/I file, the CPU players jsut gang up on you in a fight for your life!!! Its cool.

Like the "Mebes", myself.

KRL, jon H

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Just played King of Tokyo.
Stupid game : exactly what I like when I don't want to burn my brain and have a drink.
Just fun and stupidness.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Cool deal on SPWW2 Robin.

I have been playing it (and it's old DOS version from same group) for a decade or more. Some parts are like playing ASL, 88, Panzer, miniatures and talking to Paul Weir all at the same time. I know a couple of the software developers and they are good folks and I converted about 20 scenarios (ASL) to it a few years ago (look for my name or the familiar ASL names).