What boardgames have you played recently?

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Monthly games day for the Pittsburgh gaming club GASP, so I got to make up for lost time over Christmas with the following:

Seven Wonders -- Tried a science strategy, handled it badly (only got six science cards), but technically won the game.

I say "technically" because midway through the game I and one of my trading partners realized I'd been paying him 2 coins for trades when I only owed him 1. We didn't try to fix the error because we didn't know just how many trades had been muffed, and... well... what were the odds of it mattering?

As it turned out, he got 56 points, I got 55, and since coins count for points at 3 for 1, it's guaranteed the muffed trades would have made the difference.

Lords of Waterdeep -- Second play and it's still a great game. I don't do very well at it, but at least it's very easy for me to see how I screwed up and thus how I could do better next time.

Blokus Trigon

Stone Age -- Finally got to learn and play this one, very good game; and

VivaJava: The Coffee Game -- A wonderfully quirky concept, a game where you're competing -- but also must cooperate, to some extent -- to develop the best blend of coffee beans. It worked very well with 8 players. A Kickstarter project, and probably the most successful one I've played so far.

John

pixelgeek

Just some guy
Reaction score
First name
Zac
Country
llCanada
Played Croa! and Marvel Legendary with the twins. Played the Star Wars LCG, Mage Wars and Combat Commander: Europe.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone ever played 'Carriers' or 'Tokyo Express', by Victory Games? Just curious if either are worth purchasing.

spooner

Reaction score
Country
ll
Had a go at playing Conflict of Heroes: Price of Honour. Nice looking game with big counters for my fingers to grip on to. Plays well, but lacking micro detail ASLers require.
Also played a few hands of Thunderstone advanced, I enjoyed that more than C of H.

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
Had a go at playing Conflict of Heroes: Price of Honour. Nice looking game with big counters for my fingers to grip on to. Plays well, but lacking micro detail ASLers require.
Also played a few hands of Thunderstone advanced, I enjoyed that more than C of H.
Thunderstone is VERY high on my to-play list...

Ken Hampel

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Played a couple rounds of King of Tokyo with my 9 year old. Won both on victory points, sweet revenge after being beat several times by him in recent weeks.

Thunderchief

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Has anyone ever played 'Carriers' or 'Tokyo Express', by Victory Games? Just curious if either are worth purchasing.
I played a game of 2nd Fleet (Victory Games) for the first time in 16 years last week. I'll be playing another shortly.
THAT is what happens when you decide to make ASL your focus!

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Played 4 games of Kingdom Builder today, really nice fast playing game (<1 hour with 4 players)
Deservedly Speil De Jahres for 2012

Victor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thunderstone is pretty good, but the endgame can be disappointing. If it is a close game, you could be caught in the situation where neither guy can end it...
Thunderstone advance is a great improvement over the original, but I like both. Playing the epic variant is good fun.

My recent non-ASL has been pretty much with my daughter, so Mermaid Beach, Qwirkle, Rat-a-Tat Cat, Fish Eat Fish, There's a Moose in the House, etc. Good kids games.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been playing the Operational Combat Series from The Gamers. I 'm learning the system by playing the learning scenarios from the various games. i did two playings of the Arras scenario from The Blitzkrieg Legend last weekend and just set up the Chir River Battles from Case Blue.

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
Played MMP's It Never Snows from the Standard Combat Series. Fun & simple game.

Jeff

spooner

Reaction score
Country
ll
What are the biggest changes or additions that improve it so much?
I do not have any experience of classic Thunderstone, it seems advanced as not changed that much mainly rules, & card clarifications. A new action called prepare which allows you to discard as many cards as you like, & put the remainder back on top of your draw deck, setting you up for your next turn. Handy if you are a good card counter.
There is a nice big board which help with laying out of cards, it also as a wilderness, & dungeon side, both sides have areas for village, spells ,& weapons cards.
On the whole it is a very good game with close VP finishes.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Zombies!!1 (original) with the GF last Wednesday night, (after picking it up on sale at Barnes and Noble). First time for that geek classic. It's not great with two people but I see how it could be a blast with four or more.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Tokyo Express is an outstanding solitaire game. It's been a long time since I played it, but it's very, very good. I picked up a copy last year (as I lost my original copy many years ago) and hope to give it another goover the next few years.

I played a game of Polis Friday night - First Peloponnesian War, Athens vs Sparta. An interesting economic model, I can see why many Cold War strategists studied conflicts like the Peloponnesian and Carthage vs Rome wars, as the grand strategic similarities with the NATO vs Warsaw Pact situation are very interesting.

pixelgeek

Just some guy
Reaction score
First name
Zac
Country
llCanada
Played Combat Commander: Europe and Command & Colors Napoleonic yesterday. Both were quite a lot of fun

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
I'm going to pick that up for the winter for the kids (and me!). I tried to find it at Xmas time but waited too long and everywhere online in NZ was sold out.
Played 4 games of Kingdom Builder today, really nice fast playing game (<1 hour with 4 players)
Deservedly Speil De Jahres for 2012