What boardgames have you played recently?

ironmike1944

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played not a single game of anything (not including computer) since the Wednesday before Christmas. Ever since then it's been cleaning the house up so my relatives could come visit, only to have the visit cancelled due to illness, then turning out my nephew was coming anyway, and now that he's here we're both bored out of our skulls because the concept of "games as quality family time" is persona non grata around here.

:eek:gre: <=== Green with envy
I do not believe in playing non-ASL Games. In my house it is Verbotten!

jpellam

Kamikaze Landing Gear
Reaction score
Got my 12 yo nephew hooked on board games over the holidays with Victory in the Pacific from Avalon Hill

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Played an old computer Naval simulator "Fighting Steel" quite a few times recently. The "Battle of Friday the Thirteenth" scenario is an interesting and chaotic night melee. The Japanese have a great advantage with their Long Lance torpedoes.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Waterdeep and Fresco yesterday. First time we played Fresco it was without the three included expansions and it was dry. Using the expansions creates a much more elegant and fun game, so skip the introductory version or your friends won't want to the it again. It won lots of awards for a reason.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Was playing Blazing Angels 2 with my 12 year old before Xmas.

Ton of fun once you know how to fly. Interesting in that this has a lot of the prototypes and advance weaponry that never made it into the war.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Played Lords of Waterdeep this evening. The more I play it, the more I like it - an elegant, thoughtful and very enjoyable design. Highly recommended.

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Space Invaders and Missile Command on retro Atari! Oh, and some Asteroids!!

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
been playing 'Battle of the Bulge' on the iPad. Good game, well worth the price. A class 'Board' wargame app. Also been playing 'Bastogne' from MMP (SCS) games series. very good game. Played the first scenario and we are now into the subtleties and nuances of the game. Simple sytem, easy to get into.

Also been messing around with Alexander Total War on the PC.

I have Ardennes '44 set up on the table ready to go. Looks stunning.

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've been playing the Ligny portion of the (hopefully) upcoming La Belle Alliance in playtest for MMP; it's a distillation of the sadly discontinued Napoleonic Battle Series(3.0) in a much cleaner iteration. Hopefully this sees the light of day.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Up Front!
two games in a week, with a newbie player (an old ASLer playing his first UF! games) .Great fun and relax playing scenario A and scenario B.
Next game scheduled Wednesday, when Italians will make their debut...

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Are you thinking of getting the new Up Front?
I have already got it. I backed the option basic + all nationalities.

I played hundreds of UF! ftf games until the beginning of my VASL era (2003). But I still see myself as a UF! player, although inactive.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you thinking of getting the new Up Front?
The question is when (or possibly if) it will see the light of day. They have a target date of June 2013, but that seems optimistic to me. I would be pleasantly surprised if it came out in 2013...

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
having all the money needed and an operative project I do not see what's the problem. They are well motivated guys and it's a one shot task. It is not a game company unable to have always available on its shelves even the minimum required to play its best product.
Unless they flee with our money I'm sure we'll have soon the new up front!

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
having all the money needed and an operative project I do not see what's the problem. They are well motivated guys and it's a one shot task. It is not a game company unable to have always available on its shelves even the minimum required to play its best product.
Unless they flee with our money I'm sure we'll have soon the new up front!
There are some questions about a large monetary judgement against Valley Games, which spun off Radiant to print UF, and whether that judgement could cause problems with producing UF.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I know. It is covered under the "they flee with money" risk. Leaving this risk aside, I do not see any reason why they should not respect the target.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Valley Games is an Alberta company. I've met a few of their people in the past. I wonder what went off the rails.

Nadir_E

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
been playing 'Battle of the Bulge' on the iPad. Good game, well worth the price. A class 'Board' wargame app.
When the eASLRB comes out, my first purchase will be a tablet (probably iPad), followed by the eASLRB, followed by that Bulge game. :)

Also been playing 'Bastogne' from MMP (SCS) games series. very good game. Played the first scenario and we are now into the subtleties and nuances of the game. Simple sytem, easy to get into.
Have tried this one in the past - there's a nice VASSAL module for it if you're in the hunt for opponents. Enjoyed the few games I played so far. Looking forward to the It Never Snows (in September) release from MMP which uses the same scale as Bastogne but for the Market-Garden operation.