What boardgames have you played recently?

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Still having great times with Descent 2nd edition.
It realy meets my expectations of a tactical game set in a fantasy environement.
I have created standups for the conversion kit monsters and am cutting them out and fitting them on bases.
Looking forward to having a lot of fun.

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played three quick games of Dominant Species the Card Game tonight after receiving it for Christmas. Although not as rich a gaming experience as a full blown Dominant Species slug fest, the quickness of the game made up for the simpler nature of the game. I think having the entire Dominant Species "back story" helped to make for a good gaming experience.

Also, I'm watching my 16 year old niece head toward victory in her very first playing of Dungeon Lords against 4 other older more experienced gamers. :)

Final scoring is about to start and my son still has a chance to pull out the victory, so the last few moves should be fun.

More gaming tomorrow night...I love Christmas break.:)

Bill

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Played the three actual versions of Pocket Battles (Romans vs Celts, Orcs vs Elves and Macedonians vs Persians).
Fast and quite dicey of course - but as usual, more depth than expected.

I have acquired Hamunaptra - a Spanish/French game with Tintin style characters, trying to get out of a pyramid : there is about no support for rules questions, and there remain some ambiguities in their wording... I simply hate that type of problems, so I am hestitating to play that one at all if I don't get the answers.:mad:

This afternoon, I am about to play Lord of the Rings LCG, basic module : no idea how it will play out, but I am looking forward to the experience...

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On Xmas Eve-- Played with GF and her 16 YO and 19 YO:

Martian Dice- Kind of like Zombie Dice, but a few more choices.

Barista- little card/dice game I picked up for $3 on clearance.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Played Mage Knight over the weekend. I liked it. Will seek to pick up a copy.

Peace

Roger

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
This afternoon, I am about to play Lord of the Rings LCG, basic module : no idea how it will play out, but I am looking forward to the experience...
Enjoy, I played about 50 solitaire games of the LotR LCG in 2012. Good fun, although I found the core game to be very difficult for a solitaire player, aside from the first quest.

Over the last couple of days I've played:

Forbidden Island;
At the Gates of Loyang;
Looping Louis; and,
Carcassonne.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
We were thrashed, my son and I, playing the first time vs. the first quest.
He used the Power Deck (Eowin, etc.) and I had the Tactical one (Legolas, Gimli, etc.).
But we will take our revenge !

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played two sessions of Lords of Waterdeep on Monday. An excellent game. Easy to learn and play. Everyone wanted to play a second game after we played the first, which is always a good sign of a great game.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
GMT: Bloody April: Airwar over Arras 1917.

Played my first game via VASSAL. Quite good, but becomes horribly unbalanced when using some of the German aces (von Richthofen). We played a small scenario. Some of the bigger scenarios will take a very long time to complete. Those familiar with 'Burning Blue' and 'Downtown' will pick up the mechanics very easily.

Aircraft are very slow and very manoeuvrable, campared to the other games in the series...as you would expect.

P

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Played two sessions of Lords of Waterdeep on Monday. An excellent game. Easy to learn and play. Everyone wanted to play a second game after we played the first, which is always a good sign of a great game.
I agree - Lords of Waterdeep is a superb game.

Drow

Reaction score
Finished another week replaying the 1962 baseball season (BLM Baseball system) now into the first week of May.

Bill

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Land of the Lost with the G-kids....

G-son go some Dinosaurs for Christmas and the chased his sister's Barbie dolls around the living room floor......

GREAT family entertainment.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is this one of those D & D boardgames series? Those look cool, with lots of good components. Kind of pricey though if they don't get off the shelf much. (Already got too many of those)

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
I am thinking about throwing down both versions of AH Battle of the Bulge (64/81) and DG Battle of the Bulge from WAW 3 (I think) and punching out Bastone from MMP and putting all four of these up on my kitchen table, lol.

Yes I have a pretty large table, last time I threw 4 of the WIE maps down for a go with Barborossa from '76, lol

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played three quick games of Dominant Species the Card Game tonight after receiving it for Christmas. Although not as rich a gaming experience as a full blown Dominant Species slug fest, the quickness of the game made up for the simpler nature of the game. I think having the entire Dominant Species "back story" helped to make for a good gaming experience.
I got in a game of this a few weeks ago. I've never played the board game version. Not sure if I want to, as the card game seemed about the right level of rules for the occasion.

Seems that way to me, too. However, I haven't had a chance to play it again since I first tried it months ago. :cry:

Is this one of those D & D boardgames series? Those look cool, with lots of good components. Kind of pricey though if they don't get off the shelf much. (Already got too many of those)
Absolutely not one of them -- as different as a boardgame can be. Lords of Waterdeep is really a Euro with a Waterdeep theme, where you collect party members (which are cubes) and use them to accomplish missions. There's a lot more to it than that, of course. I can't really comment about how important the D&D theme is since so much time has passed.

The D&D boardgames feel to me a lot like combat in AD&D 4th edition. Personally, I loath combat in 4th ed, so they totally fail to do anything for me.

John

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Absolutely not one of them -- as different as a boardgame can be. Lords of Waterdeep is really a Euro with a Waterdeep theme, where you collect party members (which are cubes) and use them to accomplish missions. There's a lot more to it than that, of course. I can't really comment about how important the D&D theme is since so much time has passed.
Exactly - Lords of Waterdeep is a very impressive Euro (in the worker placement sub-category). Simple to learn, elegant, great components and plays quickly. Highly recommended.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
IAbsolutely not one of them -- as different as a boardgame can be. Lords of Waterdeep is really a Euro with a Waterdeep theme, where you collect party members (which are cubes) and use them to accomplish missions. There's a lot more to it than that, of course. I can't really comment about how important the D&D theme is since so much time has passed.

The D&D boardgames feel to me a lot like combat in AD&D 4th edition. Personally, I loath combat in 4th ed, so they totally fail to do anything for me.

John

http://www.amazon.com/Lords-Waterdeep-Dungeons-Dragons-Board/dp/0786959916

Victor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is D&D meets worker placement ala Stone Age. No fancy figures in this, just cubes...but very good quality worker placement game.