What boardgames have you played recently?

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No Retreat Deluxe Edition on Saturday just passed with Bryan Hoernke. Not a bad game, but you really need the living rules if you want to get it right.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I like Munchkin a lot, if players don't take ages reading each card and playing as if in a chess contest.
The fun of the game is quite linked to the lightness of heart of the players.
It cerainly is not a game that has a lot of "depth".
Beer, casual talk, etc. are recommended additions to the game - whilst you can play ASL against a mute, robotic opponent (not that funny, but less damageable, as the game is centered on developing tactics - and stomping a hypercalculator player can generate some satisfaction, even though I would not be able to most of the time if the dice don't balance luck in my favour).
Only vaguely funny. And only once. Want to laugh till your sides hurt in a game context with friends? Apples to Apples.

S

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ROME TW just because I like it! But also still fooling with Win SP MBT. I like to modify the units and then test them. One thing I found out is that as in real life a unit with thermal sights can see beyond the range of their weapons! I have a unit now seeing over 100 hexes at night (Visual range 1). The most in the game is 60 hexes.
I also still play Empire TW which is IMHO a very fine game that should be expanded or up-dated. Its a great game that never seems to have been finnished.
ROME II is comming out! I hope I dont need a new computer! ):

Edit) I like the new PB. I do hope they expand on this system and then I will look into a puchase. When I was much younger my friends and I player the crap out of all three versions. Great fun!

Last edited:

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Settlers of Catan a few weeks ago. Bought Twilight Struggle online last night. Odd thing. I could have swore the price from Amazon decreased AND the shipping cost disappeared as I researched the game. Is Amazon that smart to see that I was undecided? Once the shipping cost went away and the price came down a few dollars, I said ok. Any comments on the fun of Twilight Struggle? Most everything I read was very positive.

JCOLEMAN

Reaction score
Twlight Struggle is a great game.I think it is a balanced game,and can be played in 2-4 hours depending on how fast you play.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Played 7 Wonders last Friday.
Interesting managing and interactions.
I also go on having nice moments playing Descent 2nd ed - even soloing.

Helmseye

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Twlight Struggle is a great game.I think it is a balanced game,and can be played in 2-4 hours depending on how fast you play.
I think it is the best two player game out there for me at the moment, but that was untill I started to play Labyrinth form GMT
if you love TS you will REALLY love Labyrinth

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Any comments on the fun of Twilight Struggle? Most everything I read was very positive.
It's good, but for me it's certainly not the best boardgame ever (it's No.1 on BGG). A very tense game, which models the Cold War mindset and perspective very well, in which misdirection, firefighting, opportunism and good hand management all have their place. Well worth trying a few times, not least so that you can form your own opinion and get a feel for what all the fuss is about. I prefer 1960, a mechanically similar by the same designers based on the 1960 election contest between Nixon and Kennedy, but there's no doubt Twilight Struggle is a fantastic game. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Count_Zero

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Country
llUnited States
I think it is the best two player game out there for me at the moment, but that was untill I started to play Labyrinth form GMT
if you love TS you will REALLY love Labyrinth
WRONG. The BEST two player game out there is ASL. It may be the best NON-two player game out there...although I've never played it, but it will never be the BEST. :D

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
WRONG. The BEST two player game out there is ASL. It may be the best NON-two player game out there...although I've never played it, but it will never be the BEST. :D
There is SASL so you can play with yourself! :) That would still make ASL the best teem to 1 player game in the World!

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last Saturdaya t the club meeting , played Railways through Tme and Kittens in a Blender. Then went to GFs and played more Kittens, Zombie Dice and Greed with her, her friend and friend's 13 YO

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Played Settlers of Catan a few weeks ago. Bought Twilight Struggle online last night. Odd thing. I could have swore the price from Amazon decreased AND the shipping cost disappeared as I researched the game. Is Amazon that smart to see that I was undecided? Once the shipping cost went away and the price came down a few dollars, I said ok. Any comments on the fun of Twilight Struggle? Most everything I read was very positive.
Hello!

I do not like Settlers at all. Not certain why, but I am not a fan.

That being said, I love Twilight Struggle. Great game! Especially considering most of us grew up as all that stuff was going on. Fast playing, balanced and tense. What more can a gamer ask for.

I was not as wild about 1989. Played it a couple of times and if given a choice I would play TS instead.

Peace

Roger

Drow

Reaction score
Baby sit the kids next door lol played a mean fast game of "Hungry Hippos" < Don't know who had the most fun the kids or me.

Bill

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Baby sit the kids next door lol played a mean fast game of "Hungry Hippos" < Don't know who had the most fun the kids or me.

Bill
Time for you to get Pit and take it over there. Talk about a yelling and screaming blast! I'VE TWO CORN! WHOSE NEEDS TWO CORN!!!!

KED

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Still hooked on Rome TW and may buy Rome II TW when it comes out. Cardboard games are harded because of my dogs and cat.