What boardgames have you played recently?

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Shogun Total War 3--all expansion kits as well. Great game, great series--and I do not have to roll dice!!!
Panzer Command Ostfront

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played soccer outside in the backyard with my G-kids.....

They beat me very easily, considering they only had to kick the ball past G-dad.......

Jr. 1 goal and 3 assists.

Hanna, 2 goals and 1 assist.

Amirah, 3 goals and 2 assists.

G-pa, No goals and I had to get the ball from the neighbors yard 4 times......

Did I ever tell anyone how much I HATE soccer..... It was enjoyable and now the G-kids are sleeping; I did my job well and tired them out for Mom and G-mom.

Drow

Reaction score
Played soccer outside in the backyard with my G-kids.....

They beat me very easily, considering they only had to kick the ball past G-dad.......

Jr. 1 goal and 3 assists.

Hanna, 2 goals and 1 assist.

Amirah, 3 goals and 2 assists.

G-pa, No goals and I had to get the ball from the neighbors yard 4 times......

Did I ever tell anyone how much I HATE soccer..... It was enjoyable and now the G-kids are sleeping; I did my job well and tired them out for Mom and G-mom.
Good job, and just how tired might you be? :D I'd be deat to th world.
Bill

Drow

Reaction score
The only other game I play (and really enjoy) is the BLM baseball games, I's say Big League Manger would be the ASL of baseball games, more control and easy of play over 70 games the stats are more true to life.
Bill

JMcL63

Reservist, Class of '85
Reaction score
Country
ll
On Friday I played another couple of games of GMT’s Combat Commander: Resistance with my longstanding regular opponent.

In the first game I was defending a railway tunnel with the Italians. I put my MMG in a bunker on the hill above the tunnel mouth to give me a solid firebase interdicting the partisans’ avenue of approach from their setup area to the tunnel mouth. It malfunctioned on the second shot of my first fire attack, and junked shortly thereafter. I’d also botched the setup of my wire, giving the partisans free reign to swarm over the hill. I ended up surrendering early.

The second game saw me defending as Italians again, at the mouth of another railway tunnel. I set up an LMG strongpoint to cover the tunnel mouth. This was OK except that one squad/LMG had virtually no LOS to either of the flanks up which the partisans swarmed with disturbing speed (sheesh). My other dispositions were more sound though and I played a fairly good fighting fallback from where I had to, on top of which I was able to pick up VPs by forcing broken partisans to rout off the map. Of course, I lost both my LMGs to a malfunction and junk, which led to a dangerous VP shift when the partisans were able to storm and capture the tunnel mouth strongpoint. Still I was able to hold out for the win in the face of the shockingly dynamic partisan attack.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I finished Scenario 28 from the White Eagles scenario book for Panzergrenadier. The Poles achieved a decisive victory.

tekay44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
"In Magnificent Style" by Victory Point Games. Solo re-enactment of Picketts Charge. And like Gen. Pickett, at the end, " I have no division." Got clobbered.

Phosis

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I got a chance to play Urban Sprawl by GMT last night.

Initially the game seemed fairly simple. The rules were a breeze to get through and we were up and running within twenty minutes of opening the box. However, that feeling of dread swept over me about halfway through when I really started to "get" it, and realized that I could have been employing much more effective strategies than I had been throughout the entirety of the game.

The game ended early because time was running short, but we were fairly close to the end. It was a marginally close game, with my friend being 17 prestige ahead of me (we were well over the two hundred mark at that point, to give you some context) and I have to say it was the best non-wargame I have played in a long time, probably since Agricola.

I loved the theme, loved the gameplay, and it seems to have a fair bit of depth. Pitch perfect design, and apart from a fairly bland aesthetic presentation (not my complaint though, honestly. I didn't even notice how "dull" it apparently was.) it seems to be a great game, and one I'd really like to add to my own collection.

ironmike1944

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got a chance to play Urban Sprawl by GMT last night.

Initially the game seemed fairly simple. The rules were a breeze to get through and we were up and running within twenty minutes of opening the box. However, that feeling of dread swept over me about halfway through when I really started to "get" it, and realized that I could have been employing much more effective strategies than I had been throughout the entirety of the game.

The game ended early because time was running short, but we were fairly close to the end. It was a marginally close game, with my friend being 17 prestige ahead of me (we were well over the two hundred mark at that point, to give you some context) and I have to say it was the best non-wargame I have played in a long time, probably since Agricola.

I loved the theme, loved the gameplay, and it seems to have a fair bit of depth. Pitch perfect design, and apart from a fairly bland aesthetic presentation (not my complaint though, honestly. I didn't even
notice how "dull" it apparently was.) it seems to be a great game, and one I'd really like to add to my own collection.
Playing a NON-ASL GAME, is such a thing even allowed?

Thripshaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My wife and I had an exciting evening last night playing USAC Auto Racing. It's a regular in our household. We raced a custom set of 1998 racer cards (created by fellow ASLer JVan and me). Arie Luyendyk took the pole position with 225.3 MPH qualifying lap but sufferered engine problems early and finished last. The early leader was Davey Hamilton who led one lap before Scott Sharp took over for over half the race. Sharp was overtaken by Billy Boat on lap 6 and Boat ran away with the race after that. Final podium finish: 1. Billy Boat 2. Tony Stewart 3. Scott Sharp. Fun race, no cars dropped out.

If you haven't played it, it's a great beer and pretzels affair with decent race tactics in the corners for passing and making the decision when to "charge" i.e. push your car a little harder at the greater risk of breakdown. Been playing this game since high school and have almost 100 plays on my set alone.

Drow

Reaction score
Dug out my old AD&D rule books, got my niece four of her friends from collage and two guys from our old role playing clup,, ran them for 15 hours all over "Waterdeep" and miss-encounter into "Ravenloft.
Bill

dspurlock

ASL Layout Junkie
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just got back from my neighbors house tonight after playing Left-Center-Right. Patrice and I had a blast laughing, drinking, eating, telling stories, and having an all-around good time with our friends. Plus I managed to win about $24 in the process. If you have never played or heard of LCR, you should look it up, its great fun for a relaxing, inexpensive night out with close friends. But be forewarned, it is a "dice/gambling" game but you do get to set the money limits.

John Bark

ASL 4 FUN only!!!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Replayed the first game of the 1975(BLM baseball game ) baseball season, Los Angles at Cincinnati, Dodgers won 2 to 1 I really must get a life :nuts:
Bill
I play Strat O Matic Baseball all the time and am replaying the 2011 Giants and White Sox season as I typically do each year...and I usually play 2 games a day starting in February when the cards come out and get done September or October. It's quicker than ASL and I do have the rules committed to memory for Strat. ASL, I still play with my RB next to me.

Would love to get the family to play Arkham Horror...but, it looks too involved for my kids and wife as they aren't as much into board games with complex rules or a game that has a rule book instead of only 1 page of rules...Settlers of Cataan and Ticket To Ride we play...but, AH is something I would like for us to try.