What boardgames have you played recently?

Nadir_E

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
MMP's "Bastogne" (Standard Combat Series) via VASSAL. This is a really simple game - virtually "beer & pretzels" from a war game perspective. Heavy artillery feels too strong against armor, so we're going to house-rule a slight reduction in effectiveness and see how it plays out.

More Carcassonne coming up over the holidays. :)

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Academy Game's Strike of the Eagle last night and had a blast. This game covers the Polish-Russian conflict of 1920 using blocks. You can play it with 2-4 players. We played a 4 player scenario to learn the rules. The game plays cleanly with little rules fuss. The chrome is supplied by cards, but the game is driven by a hidden order mechanic that is similar to "A Game of Thrones". Can't wait to play it again...

Steve

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Played Academy Game's Strike of the Eagle last night and had a blast. This game covers the Polish-Russian conflict of 1920 using blocks. You can play it with 2-4 players. We played a 4 player scenario to learn the rules. The game plays cleanly with little rules fuss. The chrome is supplied by cards, but the game is driven by a hidden order mechanic that is similar to "A Game of Thrones". Can't wait to play it again...

Steve
I'll buy this game in a few days, it's a reimplementation of a Polish version "Eagle and the Star". Two weeks, and she's mine :). Looks awesome, then again Eickert and Academy Games do awesome stuff usually.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
i've seen Small World mentioned a couple of times - how's that for kids? I've a 6yo and an 11yo and we play Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride to death.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
i've seen Small World mentioned a couple of times - how's that for kids? I've a 6yo and an 11yo and we play Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride to death.
Small World is a very nice game - based on the design (of the same author) of Vinci.
The race/power combos make each game different and there are maps adapted to the number of players.
The dilemma between going on with a combo or putting it into decline to buy another one next turn (and the number of turns is limited) is a very nice part of the play.
It works for kids too.

If you want to have a cheap idea of SW, it exists as an iPhone application.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States

Steve
Got this for Christmas from my gaming buddy. I am looking forward to getting it on the table ASAP.

Peace

Roger

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a 4-player game of "Mansions of Madness" last Thursday. I was the "Keeper" in the "Til Death Do Us Part" expansion scenario and the investigators were: Kate--Jeff Hallett of T2HS fame, Joe Diamond-"New" Doug Gries, and Asscan Pete-my brother Gerald.

Great fun with lots of beverages consumed, taunts and insults hurled, and the investigators getting the win due to Kate using her special ability to figure out their objective early which allowed them to make their escape before i could get my minions fully in place to block them.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Small World is a very nice game - based on the design (of the same author) of Vinci.
The race/power combos make each game different and there are maps adapted to the number of players.
The dilemma between going on with a combo or putting it into decline to buy another one next turn (and the number of turns is limited) is a very nice part of the play.
It works for kids too.

I love the game, but my group doesn't care for it. I have Small World and three expansions if anyone is interested in it contact me. $45 plus shipping. These are listed on Funagain.com for $70.

Corwin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Looking for a recommendation on a family game say for 5 - 7 players. This family group doesn't wargame per see but they do have some competitve fire. Have played Catan and Puerto Rico before so looking for something else.

Thanks

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Looking for a recommendation on a family game say for 5 - 7 players. This family group doesn't wargame per see but they do have some competitve fire. Have played Catan and Puerto Rico before so looking for something else.

Thanks
Munchkin is fun (max 6 players).
Talisman is nice.
Smallworld is cool (5 players max)
Thunderstone (deck managing 2-6 players - solo mode possible)...
Carcassonne.
History of the World (a new version now exists)...

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Thanks
I second Carcassonnr and Small World

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Thanks
Some of the racing games can be fun. I like Mississippi Queen with the Black Rose expansion. Royal Turf (or whatever the remake is called) is good entertainment as well...

Steve

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you must have 7 players then I recommend these:

Citadels - it's cut throat, but a lot of fun. It still gets requested. Wouldn't play with less than 5.
7 Wonders - plays almost as fast with 7 players as it does with 3. Playing this New Years with a large group.
Bohnanza - very interactive and fun if you have 5-7 players.

With 4-6 players I would recommend these:

Power Grid - lots of different maps in expansions for lots of variety
Alhambra - not for everyone, but some people love it
Show Manager - out of print forever, but just got reprinted. Highly recommended.
Tribune - need the expansion for 6 players, but this one is subtle and you need to play it a couple of times to get it.

For 4-5 players these are excellent choices:

Caylus - excellent worker placement game
Boomtown - fun little cut throat card game
St. Petersburg - need the expansion for 5, but this is a great one.

Go to boardgamegeek.com and you will be able to read about these games, see where they are rated and read reviews about how they play. It's a helpful site and will save you money.

Munchkin is fun (max 6 players).
Talisman is nice.
Smallworld is cool (5 players max)
Thunderstone (deck managing 2-6 players - solo mode possible)...
Carcassonne.
History of the World (a new version now exists)...
I'm sorry, but I wouldn't be able to recommend many of your choices. Munchkin is a horrible game and once the humor is gone after the first play there is nothing left. Talisman is a bunch of die rolling, moving around, not much happens, repeat forever and play for 6 hours. A good game 20 years a go when choices were limited, but not now. History of the World is another long game and more for wargamers. I've introduced Carcassonne to 7+ players and none of them wanted to play it again. Some people love it, but I sold it.

Last edited:

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
I'd have to buy an iphone first though ;)

I think I'll pick up Small World when I can, sounds fun.

Carcassonne is excellent and can be played by any age - my daughter started at 5 and at nearly 7 she's pretty competetive, even if she does sometimes just wants to make pretty cities!

I'm off to BGG to check out some of Steve P's recommendations......

Psycho

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Some of the racing games can be fun. I like Mississippi Queen with the Black Rose expansion. Royal Turf (or whatever the remake is called) is good entertainment as well...

Steve
[video=youtube;qFhM1XZsh6o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFhM1XZsh6o[/video]

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I'm sorry, but I wouldn't be able to recommend many of your choices. Munchkin is a horrible game and once the humor is gone after the first play there is nothing left. Talisman is a bunch of die rolling, moving around, not much happens, repeat forever and play for 6 hours. A good game 20 years a go when choices were limited, but not now. History of the World is another long game and more for wargamers. I've introduced Carcassonne to 7+ players and none of them wanted to play it again. Some people love it, but I sold it.
Well, I am sorry not to share your tastes.
Your gaming friends don't like SW either, so they certainly are quite different from my gaming friends.
Do you like ASL ? I am sorry, but I think we at least have a common appreciation here.:p

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like Carcassonne and Alhambra, but only for 2 or 3 players. Any more than that and the board changes too much between turns. It devolves into who draws the lucky tiles or cards at the key moment. Carcassonne with all the expansions is a great little chess match for two players...

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I am sorry not to share your tastes.
Your gaming friends don't like SW either, so they certainly are quite different from my gaming friends.
Do you like ASL ? I am sorry, but I think we at least have a common appreciation here.:p
Well you like ASL which is ranked 52 and Small World which is 48 on boardgamegeek, so at least you like a couple of decent games. :)

But the guy was asking for recommendations for his group, so I took him seriously, which is why I only included highly rated games or those that have won the Spiel Des Jahres, and the numerous groups that I play with enjoyed enough to go out and buy copies of their own.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like Carcassonne and Alhambra, but only for 2 or 3 players. Any more than that and the board changes too much between turns. It devolves into who draws the lucky tiles or cards at the key moment. Carcassonne with all the expansions is a great little chess match for two players...
That's probably why we didn't enjoy Carcassonne. We played it a couple of times with 4 players and I couldn't understand the point. It just seemed that with not being able to hold a lot of tiles in your hand, whoever drew the best tiles won.