What boardgames have you played recently?

t3dobber

Reaction score
When played with 6 serious players Struggle of Empires is an absolute blast!! Trying to play it with odd numbers doesn't work well and 4 players is just to few (IMHO). I would recommend a few plays on VASSAL or solitaire before you try and teach a group.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
You have no idea, what inconceivable minutes of sheer horror I have on my hard drive in the "web cam" folder, gentlemen. In fact many of you look the same, not to mention typical self-stimulating behaviour :sneak:.

I know you, cause I know myself.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Played about six games of Thunderstone : very nice "card building" game, which keeps you in the dungeon crawl theme much better than Dominion (where the technicality leads to lose the feel of the theme very quickly).

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
One game I would HIGHLY recomend for multiplayer is JUNTA you really find out who your friends are in this classic Bannana Republic game. The winner at the end is the person with the most money in his Swiss bank account!
Haven't played it in like, ten years- but remember it was balst- Had a 'defensive first fire' mechanic similar to ASL.

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Elrohir69 I've been looking for a good 6 player+ game for when "the guys" and I get together and go to the cabin every fall. On a scale of 1-10 how difficult is it to learn Here I Stand? I'm afraid in our old age, the group tolerance for learning complicated new games has waned significantly.
Kev
I didn't see Elohir respond, so i'll give you my opinion having played about a dozen 6 player games of HIS.

While HIS is not difficult in terms of rules, it is difficult in terms of figuring out what to do. Each power his different objectives and ways to earn VP, so it is hard for a new player to learn what to do as he can't just watch what other guys do and follow suit. There can also be a lot of down time especially if all or most of the players are new to the game. It really shines when you have no more than 1 inexperienced player and it can really drag with 2 or more newbies.

It is not a game i would recommend for the circumstances you describe, although it is one of my alltime favorites.

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Elrohir69 I've been looking for a good 6 player+ game for when "the guys" and I get together and go to the cabin every fall. On a scale of 1-10 how difficult is it to learn Here I Stand? I'm afraid in our old age, the group tolerance for learning complicated new games has waned significantly.
Kev
Struggle of Empires
Star Trek (deck building game)
Age of Rennaisance
Railroad Tycoon (eagle games)
The Napoleonic Wars

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Battlestar Galactica can be a hoot with the right group. I think it is best for 5 or 6. However, don't use the Sympathizer card. It sucks to get it. You just make it a little harder for the humans.

Also, I'd like to add another vote for Struggle of Empires.

Steve

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didn't see Elohir respond, so i'll give you my opinion having played about a dozen 6 player games of HIS.

While HIS is not difficult in terms of rules, it is difficult in terms of figuring out what to do. Each power his different objectives and ways to earn VP, so it is hard for a new player to learn what to do as he can't just watch what other guys do and follow suit. There can also be a lot of down time especially if all or most of the players are new to the game. It really shines when you have no more than 1 inexperienced player and it can really drag with 2 or more newbies.

It is not a game i would recommend for the circumstances you describe, although it is one of my alltime favorites.
Thanks Bob. You're right, it does not sound ideal for 'cabin play' (although I'm intrigued by the game, due to the subject matter). I see Fort and others have mentioned Struggle of Empires which I'll look into. We have done Rail Baron & Dune to death over the years and really need something new. Thanks again.
Kev

Gwinnell

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
One game I would HIGHLY recomend for multiplayer is JUNTA you really find out who your friends are in this classic Bannana Republic game. The winner at the end is the person with the most money in his Swiss bank account!
Olli

Can't agree more, an excellent game and you can die and still win!

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Napoleonic Wars is 5 player max, although a great game.
Yeah, and Prussia sits out for the whole first turn (hours) and the game might come to an end if someone rolls a 6. GMT's similar game Here I Stand would be the better choice for 6 players. Sword of Rome or Wellington if you have 4 players.

Age of Empires III is another great game, but you need the expansion (which just got released after years of waiting) which adds the 6th player.

Played Glory to Rome this weekend with 4 players. If you like Race For the Galaxy, you'll like GtR. We also had a surprise ASL birthday party for Rob. His brother Jeff invited him over to play ASL and for cake, and Rob thought he was going to play a BV scenario against his Jeff. But, he got VotG for his b-day (one of the copies I got from Black Friday). Dave and I showed up with our ASL stuff and we played two games of VotG9 - Eviction Notice. Two Russian wins.

For his b-day present I gave him a poster board, dry erase markers and blue painters tape for his VotG. Dave showed me (a tip from Sam Belcher) how you use the tape to mark the perimeter of the scenario after you put the map under the mylar of the poster board frame. Then you use the dry erase markers to draw out the starting areas for the Germans and Russians, as there's some confusing ones, especially in Eviction Notice and Pavlov's House.

mgtaylor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like Small World and a deck building game Thunderstone. I like Arkham Horror but I find it very hard to win against the game.

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Bob. You're right, it does not sound ideal for 'cabin play' (although I'm intrigued by the game, due to the subject matter). I see Fort and others have mentioned Struggle of Empires which I'll look into. We have done Rail Baron & Dune to death over the years and really need something new. Thanks again.
Kev
No problem Kev.

Not sure if it would be your cup of tea as it's not really a wargame, but if you have 6 players and are looking for a lighter game that still involves lots of violence and death, i would recomend "Last Night on Earth" and it's sister game "Invasion from Outer Space."

The first game is zombies vs. small town folk. The second game is martians vs. circus folk. The two games can be combined for a zombies vs. martians vs. townfolk/carnies free for all, although i have yet to try it.

Good fun especially if drinks are involved.

Der Fleischer

Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llUnited States
Not sure if this one qualified or not, but Flames of War. I am not sure if it qualifies because it is essentially ASL with 15mm figures. Surpirsingly enough, many of the game mechanics are quite ASL-like. So, if that one does not count, I have played a few of the older SPI games recently including Oil War and Battle for Germany. Both great games!

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Struggle of Empires.

Easily one of the best games for 6 players you'll ever find. Not too hard to learn, but how you bid on turn order and alliances is a lot of fun.
I just love Struggle of Empires. It is the best multi-player war game I know.

I got it on recommendation from you and JR Tracey. Damn glad I listened.

JT