What boardgames have you played recently?

esparver73

Reaction score
Country
llLuxembourg
Playing PBEM now: For the People, Europa Universalis, Pax Romana.
FtF: Ticket to ride, Caylus.

Ruarigh

Born-again Viking
Reaction score
Country
llPeru
I have my second game of 'Battles of Westeros' set up for tonight. We really enjoyed the last one. We hope to get the rules right tonight! Looking forward to it.

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Lock 'n' load;

Band of Heroes, Day of heroes

'Downtown' GMT
Elusive Victory' GMT

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
And Go puzzles are waaaaaay more fun than Chess puzzles.
Best foreign language TV that I couldn't understand a word of was a Sunday morning (afternoon?) televised Go event in Japan with commentary....a Japanese man, woman and a western man doing the commentary and discussing strategy/future moves as each move was made.

Never have I wanted to understand Japanese more.

Last edited:

Gary Mei

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Federation Commander. It's Star Fleet Battles done right with all the drudgery and excess complexity removed. It retains the flavor of SFB, but allows for a cruiser vs cruiser battle to finish in an hour or even a full fleet vs fleet battle in a day. The only problem is that I feel the plasma races have been gimped.

drchilds

#1 ASL Hype Man
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited States
Federation Commander. It's Star Fleet Battles done right with all the drudgery and excess complexity removed. It retains the flavor of SFB, but allows for a cruiser vs cruiser battle to finish in an hour or even a full fleet vs fleet battle in a day. The only problem is that I feel the plasma races have been gimped.
I always felt that FC was just one more way for Cole eek out more cash from his Paramount license. I've been a SFB player since I was 12, but the whole production shift really irked me. You really like it more?

sarfs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have never played GO
It's rules are simple but the strategy is complex. Here's two places you can play for free online: itsyourturn.com and dragongoserver.net. Dragon is unlimited play, itsyourturn nonmember are limited to 15 moves a day. Even the GROFAZ, Bendis plays GO.

Gary Mei

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I always felt that FC was just one more way for Cole eek out more cash from his Paramount license. I've been a SFB player since I was 12, but the whole production shift really irked me. You really like it more?
Yes, it's streamlined and far more playable. Also, the laminated cards are gorgeous.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Dune ( AH 1979), we play on wednesday evening and it's a great fun.

We are also arranging a ETO (TSR 1990) full campaign game. Will start next month.

Whizbang1963

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Liberty Roads from Hexasim in France is going on the table right now....

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
Liberty Roads from Hexasim in France is going on the table right now....
Cool. I have been playing this recently at our local wargaming get-together. It is a fun and clever game. But you might want the more experienced player to take the Wallies...

Jeff

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
Cool. I have been playing this recently at our local wargaming get-together. It is a fun and clever game. But you might want the more experienced player to take the Wallies...

Jeff

I have been thinking of picking this one up since reading the article in Battles Magazine

Peace

Roger

Aaron Cleavin

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Dune ( AH 1979), we play on wednesday evening and it's a great fun.

We are also arranging a ETO (TSR 1990) full campaign game. Will start next month.
Do you have the expansions
The Spice one really adds to the game while the Duel one does not.

I do like how more than 25 years later Game of Thrones adapted the character combat influencing mechanics of Dune and combined them with elements of Britannia and Kingmaker in a fairly seamless manner. When one sees the heritage of a game one can truly appreciate the subtleties of game design

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Empires in Arms
Axis and Allies Europe/Pacific
Fire in the Sky
Close Action
Poker