What boardgames have you played recently?

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agricola must be hot stuff. Local comic store did not have it, and even thier catalog distributor was out of stock.

I picked up 'Chez Guevera' and the 'Catan' dice game instead.

I might be going on a little work trip that would give me lots of 'down' time.

Back before ASLOk though. :yummy:

Last edited:

DSK665

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anybody try Conflict of Heroes yet? Picked the game up at WBC and the designer Uwe walked us through a scenario and was very fun to play.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Anybody try Conflict of Heroes yet? Picked the game up at WBC and the designer Uwe walked us through a scenario and was very fun to play.
Played it once so far. I found that being early war Russians against early war Germans was very frustrating, due to the C&C rules. But I'm not planning on making my mind up about it until we try a game with armor in it.

One very clear lack of historicity was the rule that any unit with a "damage" chit that takes a second damage result is auto-killed. In the more extreme cases, the ASL equivalent would be saying that a unit marked with a Pin counter is destroyed when it suffers a second Pin result. The tactic this led to was the equivalent of saying in ASL, "Hey, we Pinned an enemy unit! Rather than try to score a PTC or MC against some others, let's pile all our fire on the pinned guy so he'll go away!"

John

DSK665

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are comparing the game to ASL which is not fair. The game was fun to play and was over in 45 minutes, you will never see that in ASL. Besides there are little tactics used in ASL that can be said the same.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are comparing the game to ASL which is not fair. The game was fun to play and was over in 45 minutes, you will never see that in ASL. Besides there are little tactics used in ASL that can be said the same.
No, I'm comparing both CoH and ASL to my standard of what makes a WWII squad-level game "feel right". You are, of course, completely right that ASL has its own set of things that don't feel right. [Although it took me more than one scenario to discover them!]

And I'm not looking for a game that is over in 45 minutes, I'm looking for a game that captures the feel better than ASL -- whether it's a 45 minute game or a 4.5 hour game!

So for me to be impressed, a game is going to need to be "better" than ASL, not just different... and being shorter is not, for me, part of being "better".

John

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I love the ASL counter layout, fonts, etc. However, the images used for both infantry and vehicles could definitely be improved and be more dynamic.

Chas Argent

Play to the end.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think pictures of miniatures on war game counters is right up there with the worst idea ever. YMMV of course ;)

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
Cleaning out the old steel cabinet in my garage over the weekend (so that I can get rid of the cr*p in my study to make room for my games) I stumbled upon my Subbuteo football (soccer to the uncultured! :p ) game from my youth. A quick phone call to my best mate - a football MAD Italian fella - and we were reliving the glory that was Liverpool and Nottingham Forest in the 1970s and 1980s.... Good times.... :D

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Cleaning out the old steel cabinet in my garage over the weekend (so that I can get rid of the cr*p in my study to make room for my games) I stumbled upon my Subbuteo football (soccer to the uncultured! :p ) game from my youth. A quick phone call to my best mate - a football MAD Italian fella - and we were reliving the glory that was Liverpool and Nottingham Forest in the 1970s and 1980s.... Good times.... :D
I still have my Newcastle United team from the early/mid 70's with all their names written in my schoolboy hand below the players, Malcolm McDonald, John Tudor, Terry McDermott et al. Boy there were some bad haircuts there.....

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
I still have my Newcastle United team from the early/mid 70's with all their names written in my schoolboy hand below the players, Malcolm McDonald, John Tudor, Terry McDermott et al. Boy there were some bad haircuts there.....
Andy Gray, Trevor Francis.... The hair-style gods weren't kind! Those shorts too! :laugh: I found my Trevor Francis and Peter Shilton (like you, names penned on the figure's base!) figures to be just as solid as they were when I was a lad.

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
It's the rainy kids holidays here and we've had a couple of days of playing Star Munchkin with my 7yo. Excellent fun indeed and remarkably easy for him to pick up, although he's too young for the inbuilt nastiness and interplayer fighting - still good to play semi collaberatively tho :)

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played my third game of Agricola this Saturday against 3 other players who have played at least 3 times each. What a great game!

We use the variant where each player gets 10 of each card and gets to discard 3 cards, so the luck of the draw is lessened. Lots of options and we haven't even cracked the Advanced deck of cards yet. The best part is that it plays different each time and you must base multiple strategies on what cards you are able to play. So, with so many cards available you have to be flexible as to when to play those cards if an action is taken by a player in front of you. Good stuff.

This is THE best euro game to come out in years.

Last edited:

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It's the rainy kids holidays here and we've had a couple of days of playing Star Munchkin with my 7yo. Excellent fun indeed and remarkably easy for him to pick up, although he's too young for the inbuilt nastiness and interplayer fighting - still good to play semi collaberatively tho :)
Teach them American Football...

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I continue to disprove the "better leadership" and "better marksmenship" of the Confederacy in South Mountain, getting pushed back with increasing velocity from Fox's Gap, though Hood's Division has recently arrived. Trying to stop a Union Corps with a division is going to prove...interesting...

Also solitairing Borodino, a Triumph and Glory game from GMT.

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played NHL Icebreaker with my wife. We are both hockey fans and this is a fast moving, card management game.

Lots of fun. I won as the BlackHawks against her Flyers 4 - 3 on the last shot of the game.

WesN

Vicious Coon
Reaction score
First name
Wes
Country
llUnited States
Just started a Federation and Empire PBEM game. Played a few games of Manoeuvre via VASSAL last week.