What boardgames have you played recently?

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
Bill, regarding captured IS-2's I tried "beutepanzer IS-2" on German websites but did not bring up anything in a cursory look. That would be the spelling you'd need for a proper web search.

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The only non-ASL game I'll play is poker. Anything else and you're not even a man.
If that's the case...

...then not only has my membership in the "man club" officially lapsed, but I won't miss being a member the least bit. :p

John

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Poker just looks dull and completely random to me, and played by serious looking people with John Wayne delusions......

Bill Cirillo

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bill, regarding captured IS-2's I tried "beutepanzer IS-2" on German websites but did not bring up anything in a cursory look. That would be the spelling you'd need for a proper web search.

Ray,

Thanks for the information. It is my understanding that there is supposedly a map somewhere in the Hungarian Military History Museum that has the location of all of the AFVs that were destroyed in Budapest during the battle.

Thanks again.

Bill

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I've had Seige of Jerusalem setup for some time, playing a turn in between PTing ASL scenarios. Nice change of pace. Ballistas instead of arty...arrows instead of MG's.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hold 'Em poker is dull and random. However, stud poker is awesome and involves real skill.

BTW - I've been playing Hordes (Warmachine sister fantasy miniatures game) lately.

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played 'Privateer' at 'DrewCon '08' today, really fun game. Also played a little 'Frag' and a game of 'Memoir '44'.

Tom

ChrisBuehler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My son has really picked up Wings of War. I keep thinking that he hasn't figured it out, but then he makes some really smart play. He is seven.
Just checked their website, looks way cool. Birthday present for me from him methinks :)
The mini airplanes look really cool, but I don't think I could stop at just a couple. $10.00 each is pretty steep.
The Wings of War minis are nice because you don't need to play on a cloth surface. When using the cards on a wood table top, the cards can float around on their own. The minis solve that problem. I think you can find the minis for about $8-9 each if you search hard enough. This was true about a year ago when I was looking...
I recently fell for this one. While I've been on the road all summer and managed to get two ASL scenarios in with locals, I picked up a copy of Wings of War Burning Drachens. It's a fast paced game that can be played solo (me versus the balloon). The minis looked great and I will likely pick some up when I get home.

Chris

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
"Wings of War" Miniatures The local mianature group I play with while working in Asheville uses some cheaper (of course) planes from the local Walmart there.

pward

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Arkam Horror (probably not spelled right) this weekend after a 40K tourney. Store owner told me at midnight or so, "it only takes about 2 hours to play". For some reason we couldn't close the gates fast enough, didn't get home till 5am...

He also related a story about a very quick 25 minute playing they had, 2 players were killed early and never recovered, they were overwhelmed by monsters and open gates...

Nice game overall, players are competing against the randomly selected Lovecraft Elder God with an unpronounceable name. (Too many or too few vowels, where did they learn to spell?) I think it's a good change from other games where there is only one winner. Looks to be quite replayable, since the big baddie is random and so are the characters you get each time.

Portal

The Eminem of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
From this past week....

WWII-related PBEM: Fighting Wings (Achtung Spitfire scenario using latest FW rules) & Bomb Alley (Second World War at Sea). Both of these games are a lot of fun. I especially like the FoW aspects of the SWWAS series.

Non-WWII FtF: Played Hordes (Warmachine) yesterday afternoon and rediscovered why I don't really like fantasy miniatures games (although WM is better than GW stuff). One-dimensional strategy as each army must be played in their specific style to win, and way too much results importance placed on the roll of the dice. Light fare, for sure, but I think I'd rather play an XBox game or something if looking for something light.

The minis painting is a lot of fun, though, so when I finish with that, I'll probably put the army up on eBay.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Had six people over at my house this Saturday and played two games of Agricola. It is the first game to pass Puerto Rico as the #1 ranked game on boardgamegeek.com, so I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

It surely deserves the ranking as this is one of the best games I've played in a while. One couple already owned the game, but the other three adults said that they would all go out and buy the game! After the first game we all wanted to play again. There are a tremendous number of cards, which gives this game so much replayability and many ways to achieve your goals.

James Taylor

I love women with brains
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Back from Gencon and still trying to catch up on the rest of my life but could not resist posting here:

Played a giant Axis & Allies on Steroids game that I had seen at Winter War last Feb. I got the Germans and Italians. The game includes a variant rule to use "Generals" that we used. I had nicely painted little figures of Hitler and Mussolini representing my generals... managed to kill both Stalin and Churchill in one round. We did not finish, but things were looking good for the Axis.

Played a couple of Settler's games and finished second both times. I much prefer Cities & Knights, but Settler's is a great way to pass the time. I also played Settler's of Catan: Struggle for Rome and was unimpressed. I did get to meet the son of the game designer at the Mayfair booth.

Played 3 games of Arkham's Horror. Not your typical fair for an ASLer, but I found it interesting. I'll probably play it with the family and see how it goes over.

Played Struggle of Empires and won the Gencon Championship. Not saying much, as only 2 other players had played before and it was a seven player game... which I personally think is not the best way to play Struggle. This is my favorite multi-player war game.

Just want to point out that I got into Settler's based on the recommendation of Louie Tokarz, into Arkham based on the recommendation of Commisar Piotr & Struggles based on a review on BGG by JR Tracey. I would have to say I've been very happy in relying on my fellow ASLers as sources of info regarding games I have not played.

Based on Rob's recommendation I think I'll be picking up Agricola and giving it a try.

JT

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Struggle of Empires and won the Gencon Championship. Not saying much, as only 2 other players had played before and it was a seven player game... which I personally think is not the best way to play Struggle. This is my favorite multi-player war game.JT
Struggle of Empires has been a favorite for a long time. I've collected and played Martin Wallace's whole series of WarFrog games and haven't been disappointed yet.

I have a subscription to Counter magazine and use their reviews as my guide for euro game purchases. There are just so many euros being released these days that it's hard to pick out the best without help. Counter magazine is a great resource and has saved me a lot of money over the years. In their latest issue a number of reviewers rated their Top 5 games for 2007. Agricola and Wallace's latest design Brass lead the pack with the most nominations for Top 5. I've purchased it, but haven't had a chance to play it yet, but you might want to look into it also.

Bob Holmstrom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
re: Arkham Horror

Rob, Peter, Jim,

Are the expansions worth getting? How young an age do you think can enjoy playing it keeping in mind attention span issues?

Brien Martin

Panthera oncia
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
On my table at present ...

Field Commander: Rommel ... very nice solo system by Dan Verssen Games. Not his usual DTP ... it's a nice pre-printed game. Tough to beat the system on a regular basis (I'd say you'll never beat the system consistently enough for the game to become stale and boring).

APBA American Saddle Racing ... finally got my hands on a copy of this one for much less than the $100 one usually commands on eBay. I love horse racing, and this one fits the bill nicely (not to mention, it's inspired me to design my own horse racing game).

Combat Commander ... it's ASL Lite (no armor, no phased play, lots of similarites to ASL), but it fills the bill for tactical systems when I want to play them.

Replay Baseball ... love this game. It feels like the game as you'd watch it at the park or on television. Right now, I'm in the middle of a variant of the game that allows you to use the player cards to play Wiffleball.

Second Season Football ... another game that has that "at the stadium" feel to it. Getting geared up for Season 3 of the National Gridiron League, a fictional league using this game.

Brien