What boardgames have you played recently?

bpickering

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My son just introduced the family to Munchkin which I find very funny and he really enjoys getting the most powerful character.
I've recently (this summer) introduced the following to my seven-year-old:
  • Munchkin (won one each)
  • Empire Builder (he's won two games, but I've had crappy cards to start both times)
  • Settlers of Cataan (biggest problem is, he wants to buy development cards too soon)
Wondering what he could actually accomplish if he had been on the Ritalin for the summer!

Da Pic

Relvig

Death Panel Czar
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
getting in a few turns of For the People a week and also The Devil's Cauldron. Playing on VASL, as long as that counts.

Relvig

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Currently in an on-line 'War at Sea' Ladder. Start of Turn 7, I'm down by two POC. Need to get this convoy through a heavily damaged German fleet with plenty of U-boats in support. Can I do it?
My Opponent (Rob Drozd) took a break to attend WBC, and then we resumed.

Convoy got through, (in fact all three of them did)-- but his wolfpacks had another 'happy time ' on turn 7, breaking my North Sea blockade while he repaired his surface fleet. Bismarck, Tripitz and a few Cruisers sail into the South Atlantic turn 8 and hammer my weary battle squadron, so a very close game goes to the Axis here.

Played my usual 'Big Med' opening, but my old wagons got smashed by the Italian fleet on Turn 3. This after sinking the two German battlecrusiers on turn 1.:mad:

Couldn't stop those pesky U-boats, though.:angry:

Last edited:

chris_olden

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You win...
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
it wasn't too bad.
waves were head high.
the seals put on an acrobatics show between sets.
having two seals do a tandem jump 10 feet from
you is a bit startling though!:laugh:
co

dustyrd

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scrabble. Against the wife. Worst defeat ever. I dread playing this against her because I've only won once in 15 years. She went to the bathroom while I set up the board and palmed a seven letter word along with an A so I could go first. (ok, yeah I admit it, I cheated, but did tell her at the end). Made the first play with a seven letter double word score and still lost on her last play of the game. Cheaters do never win!

MrP

Reaction score
Country
llNew Zealand
Ticket To Ride with my 7yo, just starting to introduce the route cards. Also the dragon and princess expansion to Carcassonne with him. Top stuff and easily dumbable down both.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
While watching the Yankees destroy the Royals on Sunday, my 10 year old son and I played Pizza Box Baseball. He pitched a complete game shutout 3 hitter to beat me 7-0. Good thing I didn't take it easy on him. I tried everything I could think of, switching pitchers, stealing, etc. It was good fun...

WesN

Vicious Coon
Reaction score
First name
Wes
Country
llUnited States
Sadly I haven't played ASL in over a year and a half until recently.

I do have 11 level 70 WoW characters to show for it though :nuts: (cancelled both accounts, hopefully I will resist WotLK). Recently I have played Munchkin, Talisman, Ticket to Ride and Puerto Rico with my son and his friends.

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Grandson and I played on the Wii for hours yesterday.

We also often play "Monsters Menace America".

He's Six. Great fun.

Uncle Joe

Reaction score
Country
llNorway
We had a gathering of old gamers last weekend, and even completed some games between the beers:

Brittania - (the Romans (played by me) did their worst ever invasion of Britain - everybody managed to kill off some Roman Elites - never recovered after that)

1870 - Railroads along the Mississippi. Building railroads, buying and selling stocks, dealing, buying trains - I still don't understand how this can be funny, but we've been playing it for 15 years against each others and it is still amazing.

Puerto Rico - Got soundly beaten due to bad tactics, but it is still a great game.

Pitch Car - for the time in the evening when we are not able to understand the rules of any other game.

JM

'Ol Fezziwig

Repressed Dissident
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My Southern patriots are defending the passes of South Mountain against the vile damnyankees of Reno trying to force Fox's Gap. It's high noon and the battle approaches a tipping point; will the Confederates higher morale stave off the interlopers superior numbers?

Also, for old time's sake, Destroy All Humans

n3ddy

Reaction score
Country
llSouth Africa
Just about to send my troops ashore on D-Day (The Overlord Expansion to The Killing Ground). Looking pretty ominous so far....

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Just finished Gamers OCS Tunisia (solitaire, Axis surrender).

Just started Gamers SCS Operation Michael.

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Will be attending 'Drewcon' this Saturday where I plan to play Battle Cry and Memoir '44.

Tom

Rindis

Wargamer
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Soldier Kings last Saturday, Onward, Christian Soldiers a couple weeks ago, will be starting an on-line game of SFB tomorrow.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We got the Wii Fit game last Friday and it is fantastic, except for the part where it told me I am obese...