What boardgames have you played recently?

tekay44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Ascension with the family. Fun card game, oh, and, Cribbage with my daughter. Passing on the family Cribbage tradition.

Delirium

ASL Fanatic
Reaction score
Country
llIreland
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective - A deductive, cooperative experience using period style newspapers, casebooks and maps of Central London. Very cool.

Pathfinder Adventure Card Game - Another co-op played with my wife. We finished the 4th adventure deck ) Fortress of the Stone Giants (after 16 months of on/off play), just two more decks to go.

Pinata - An excellent two player card game.

Rococo - A very impressive Euro with elements of asset collection, area control, deck management and resource allocation. The theme is dress making but it's as savage as any other quality Euro.

Toby G.

F.N.G.
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Because of this thread I started researching some of the newer boardgames that have come out. Purchased several of them Caverna, Takenoko, Greed, Forbidden Island, Splendor and Jaipur to name a few. The other day I finished up a solo game of 4 player Caverna. Wow what a cool game, wish I knew some smart people to play it with. Until then I will play it solo to explore strategy options.

wrongway149

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Because of this thread I started researching some of the newer boardgames that have come out. Purchased several of them Caverna, Takenoko, Greed, Forbidden Island, Splendor and Jaipur to name a few. The other day I finished up a solo game of 4 player Caverna. Wow what a cool game, wish I knew some smart people to play it with. Until then I will play it solo to explore strategy options.
Splendor is one the better games for four people to come out in the past few years.

Corwin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Combat Commander a couple of weeks ago for the first time. Daughter kicked my butt by 17 points. I just wanted to see what it is all about. Some people I game with will never play ASL but maybe would play this "lighter" game. Definitely had some untimely random events for my troops. I need to play it again after learning the rules this first time to see how I feel about it.

Played Castles of Burgundy this weekend while camping with 4 and it was a close game. My Brother and Sister - In Law had never played it and they said that they liked it better that Agricola. I have enjoyed both. My wife won, as usual. Next we will be playing Agricola with the Farmers of the Moor expansion.

Also we got in 2 games of Pandemic, all playing for the first time. 2 cures on the first game and zero on the second. It ate us up. Going to do a rule review and make sure we played correctly. I think the rules are pretty well written though so I expect we got most of it right. Either we were horrible tactically (likely) or the card distribution just didn't work out for us (possible).

Last edited:

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pushed around some pieces in latest edition of GMT's Great Battles of History Alexander module...forgot how bad Persian chariots suck!
Will do same with new 2nd edition GMT Ukraine 43 after spraying the map+counters.

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Mystic Woods (AH edition): I recently purchased that pre-Talisman adventure game (found a shrink-wrapped one on BGG Market) that I had dreamed about when I played Sorcerer's Cave as a teenager. Tried it with my son. A time travel in the late seventies. Meh.

Played Minivilles (a fast town building game - Japanese design and doesn't apparently exist in English - I have the French version) with my second daughter and her boyfriend, as well as The Builders Middle Ages.
Both played very fast and were both nice to play - of course with the limits of that type of "cocktail games".

ASLSARGE

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just received "Kawaguchi's Gamble" yesterday. Been really looking forward to playing this one.

Randy Strader

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just received "Kawaguchi's Gamble" yesterday. Been really looking forward to playing this one.
I'm looking forward to my first playing of that as well.

Almost finished with my first game of Storm over Dien Bien Phu. About to clip the counters for Reluctant Enemies. And KG:ER and Salerno arrived today...woot! So, hopefully all set with the non-ASL stuff for the rest of the year, and here they are:

View attachment 49539

rcarter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm looking forward to my first playing of that as well.

Almost finished with my first game of Storm over Dien Bien Phu. About to clip the counters for Reluctant Enemies. And KG:ER and Salerno arrived today...woot! So, hopefully all set with the non-ASL stuff for the rest of the year, and here they are:
I really like Storm over Dien Bien Phu.

I've played as the French a few times though have yet to play the Viet Minh. I will say one rule I screwed up though was that if you choose to move units from an area, they all have to move to one other area. You can't drop units off or move to different areas unless you take 2 separate actions. This is definitely difficult for the defender as he tries to plug gaps in the line.

I just received Kawaguchi's gamble as well. I've yet to read through all the rules but it does add some pacific and situation specific rules.

Randy Strader

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I really like Storm over Dien Bien Phu.

I've played as the French a few times though have yet to play the Viet Minh. I will say one rule I screwed up though was that if you choose to move units from an area, they all have to move to one other area. You can't drop units off or move to different areas unless you take 2 separate actions. This is definitely difficult for the defender as he tries to plug gaps in the line.

I just received Kawaguchi's gamble as well. I've yet to read through all the rules but it does add some pacific and situation specific rules.
I was surprised by KG's lack of cards, so assume the rules provide the goodness that SODBP has with its cards. I also noticed that KG's rules are in color, while Salerno's are not. Would have preferred the latter to be, given that there is a color distinction in its unit class counters. B&W makes the examples of play a bit more difficult to grok.

I made the same mistake regarding movement in SODBP, but fortunately my eagle-eyed opponent caught that one only a couple of impulses into turn 1. I concur on the French dilemma. Seems to balance the line they have to move by retreating, or flipping to spent and retreating. Attacking or moving outright is seldom wise as it forgoes the defense value of terrain. I chose to counterattack a lot, but only at VM units who had spent themselves. Tried to hold on to the runway areas for that extra card as long as possible, and then finally draw back to the lvl3 defense areas in the southeast. I am currently reading The Last Valley, so look forward to playing this one again, as well as the Legion Wargames version of the battle, after I finish and compare what I did to what the French did.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Hi all,

Some advice from this collective is needed, Should I but GMT games Combat Commander? Want something to play as an aside from ASL, and it seems this could fit the bill when I want an easy night play instead of an intense ASL session (which I find very pleasing)..

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi all,

Some advice from this collective is needed, Should I but GMT games Combat Commander? Want something to play as an aside from ASL, and it seems this could fit the bill when I want an easy night play instead of an intense ASL session (which I find very pleasing)..
Some like CC, but not me. For light tactical I prefer Conflict of Heroes or Up Front...

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
For me the 'unwind' game is L'n'L's "World At War" series, set about 1985. Fairly simple and fast playing.

Proff3RTR

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ok,

Both seem doable, except CoH is OoP the module I would buy (storms of steel) ah well, might just get some more ASL modules..........

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Not a playing report, but GMT's C3i #28 just arrived half an hour ago. I obviously get it for the game additions for their games that I have. My main GMT interest is their GBoH (Great Battles of History - ancient to classical warfare) and Musket & Pike series, some other non-series games as well. This issue has more inserts than magazine as well as a full counter sheet. 1st Mantinea (418 BC) is the GBoH scenario included but it also has a complete Fall Blau from their Unconditional Surrender game.

Randy Strader

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not a playing report, but GMT's C3i #28 just arrived half an hour ago. I obviously get it for the game additions for their games that I have. My main GMT interest is their GBoH (Great Battles of History - ancient to classical warfare) and Musket & Pike series, some other non-series games as well. This issue has more inserts than magazine as well as a full counter sheet. 1st Mantinea (418 BC) is the GBoH scenario included but it also has a complete Fall Blau from their Unconditional Surrender game.
Did the counter sheet have the counter errata for GBoH Hoplite in that issue? I think I'll have to order it myself.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Did the counter sheet have the counter errata for GBoH Hoplite in that issue? I think I'll have to order it myself.
Sorry for the delay, but I had to figure out what was for Mantinea and what were Hoplite errata.

GBoH related: 15 counters, 4 long, 11 square.

Hoplite fixes: 2 Greek Heralds, 1 Spartan Royal Guard with red triangle, 1 Athens 6 LC in purple (rather than white), all square.

Only having got it today, I barely looked at the issue, so the 4 long and the other 7 square must be for 1st Mantinea. Like with recent C3i issues the scenario card is a separate inclusion, so no need to mutilate the magazine.

There is also a historical article on 1st Mantinea. At 3 pages, with a background map, a OoB table, a few fluff graphics, there is still 2 pages of solid text, at first glance looks good. Well at least it will educate me on something about which I am quite ignorant, low bar maybe, but ... :)

I used to be an SPI's S&T regular, but found that in combination with work, I could not absorb the half dozen or so issues and games per year. I have all except the first 3-5 issues of C3i. Since MMP relaunched Operations as Special Ops as a more generalised house magazine, I found the schedule of about 1 Special Ops, 1 L'n'L's Line of Fire and 1 C3i per year about just right for my non-ASL gaming interests.

While C3i's GBoH content has diluted a bit over the years due to GMT's expanded game lines, the magazine itself has become meatier. Indeed when I picked it up off the floor I first wondered if I had been sent 2 copies in error! If your only interest is GBoH then whether you think 3 of 64 pages (including covers), a scenario card and 15 counters is worth it is another matter, that is up to you. For me, the articles on games I don't own may reduce the direct utility, but I usually find the other articles of interest either for the history or design thought process. Often it's only confirmation that a game, though at first intriguing, is not really for me.

Last edited: