What boardgames have you played recently?

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Group of ten for a Warmachine/Hordes get together at friend's house yesterday. Filmed a game for their YouTube channel (Advanced Meneuvers). This game is the best miniatures game I have ever played...and I've played a lot. The level of planning and execution required reaches ASL levels...blows all the GW stuff out of the water.
Anyone want to buy some Imperial Guard or Ogre Kingdoms stuff? ;)

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I Kickstarted $125 for the new version of Up Front. The goal was $30,000. They got $340,000. Not a word for 6 months. I wonder if I'm out $125?
You'd think that with all the love and demand for this game ($340K raised), someone would figure out how get together to get this produced. I'd buy it and so would at least a dozen of my local gaming buddies.

clavain

Waiting for Godot
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Group of ten for a Warmachine/Hordes get together at friend's house yesterday. Filmed a game for their YouTube channel (Advanced Meneuvers). This game is the best miniatures game I have ever played...and I've played a lot. The level of planning and execution required reaches ASL levels...blows all the GW stuff out of the water.
Anyone want to buy some Imperial Guard or Ogre Kingdoms stuff? ;)
Have you played Command Decision? Particularly the old 3rd Edition?

Fort

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I was a betting man, thats where I would go.....Copyright and IP law is not for the faint of heart, and when you're up against Hasborg....
Not Hasbro, from what I remember, it's the original designer that's the problem now.

clavain

Waiting for Godot
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Yes....I've never found a WWII miniatures game that satisfies my itch.
CD3 came closest for me, esp. when played with a ref for hidden movement/spotting. Great morale and command system, detailed vehicle and weapon stats, Battalion level operational focus. Could take forever to play though depending on the scenario. Cool CGs also.

rcarter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not Hasbro, from what I remember, it's the original designer that's the problem now.
Yes, I think it is the original designer, and it is truly mired from what I can tell. I think the initial court date is set for Feb 2015. But this is all from memory. There is a huge thread on BGG and on some blogs elsewhere. I also did the kickstarter thing, and I ended up buying a used copy of the AH version.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, I think it is the original designer, and it is truly mired from what I can tell. I think the initial court date is set for Feb 2015. But this is all from memory. There is a huge thread on BGG and on some blogs elsewhere. I also did the kickstarter thing, and I ended up buying a used copy of the AH version.
I can see how the original designer might have had his eyes opened when $340,000 was raised. Too bad, the cards and graphics were really nice. I sold my copy of Desert War (French/Italians) and my extra copy of Banzai (Japanese/Brits) after I kickstarted thinking I would get them soon.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks Robin,

Good thing I never will ever use Kickstart, and this is the reason why, kickstarter just seems like a big rip off scheme.

I don't think you should paint all Kickstarters with the same brush. It isn't better or worse than P500 from GMT or preordering from MMP. You just have to stick with companies you have faith in or that have good reputations. Or go out on a limb if you really want to see a particular game published. I would KS a 40 scenario, 8 mapboard DTO module from BFP or the next Deluxe module with 12 scenarios and 7 new boards from LFT. I wish I would have KS Alien Frontiers with the Factions expansion, because I ended up paying a lot more for it later.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
I don't think you should paint all Kickstarters with the same brush. It isn't better or worse than P500 from GMT or preordering from MMP. You just have to stick with companies you have faith in or that have good reputations. Or go out on a limb if you really want to see a particular game published. I would KS a 40 scenario, 8 mapboard DTO module from BFP or the next Deluxe module with 12 scenarios and 7 new boards from LFT. I wish I would have KS Alien Frontiers with the Factions expansion, because I ended up paying a lot more for it later.
Hi!

If the kickstart charges you right away instead of when the product goes to print, kickstarting is way "worse" (more risky) than P500ing from GMT/MMP. Take your situation, it sucks that you are out $125 for Up Front. Under the current GMT/MMP process you would not be out that money as the game did not go to print.

If on the other hand, the kickstart does not charge until the product goes to print, than I agree its not worse.

I will not Pre-order from companies that charge me before the product goes to print. I have heard enough lost money stories that I will probably never kickstart.

Peace

Roger

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
Note too that KS gets 5% of the sums pledged.
KS always wins.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Agreed, Kickstart is just a racket, and the loss from Up Front just proves it, its only by luck that MMP made that Lincoln's War one work, I believe it may be the only war game to worked on KS, the others are fantasy or card games or some such. I'll stick to MMP preorder system thank you very much.

I got screwed out of $175 from GR/D when the owner died and the thing got locked up in litigation and Total Waste was never produced. I'll never fork out money to fund anything again.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi!

If the kickstart charges you right away instead of when the product goes to print, kickstarting is way "worse" (more risky) than P500ing from GMT/MMP. Take your situation, it sucks that you are out $125 for Up Front. Under the current GMT/MMP process you would not be out that money as the game did not go to print.

If on the other hand, the kickstart does not charge until the product goes to print, than I agree its not worse.

I will not Pre-order from companies that charge me before the product goes to print. I have heard enough lost money stories that I will probably never kickstart.

Peace

Roger

I certainly learned my lesson, but on the other hand it won't stop me if another game that I really, really want gets put on KS, especially when they offer all the cool and fancy side bonuses. I could go for AH's Gunslinger with new graphics, miniatures, updated and more boards, etc. I think I paid early for the updated Russian Campaign, but that was a long time ago, so I dont remember, but it was worth it.

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Agreed, Kickstart is just a racket, and the loss from Up Front just proves it
This is a tad cynical. By definition KS investments are risky - you're signing on to help someone start a small business, 90% of which are going to fail. I'm assuming you were promised goods that would have been worth many times your investment. If not then it was a bad KS offer. So there's the gamble - maybe get $500 worth of material for $175; maybe get nothing.

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
With KS your risk lies with the person you are backing. Most are unknown, but some are relatively known. For example I would back Martin Wallace all day long...

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I have never gone the KS route and I have so much games stuff that it is highly unlikely that I ever will. Having said that, I would not rule it out entirely. I view it in the same light as stock market gambling. Invest what you can happily write off as a total loss without a thought, IE only what you can afford and would have spent on trivial stuff. Only do so when it is something that you really want to see out, IE no impulse buying. Once the money is sent then regard it as totally lost. If, as more often than not happens, you get it then great, if not it was a gamble. Just don't automatically expect to see something like when buying from a (e)retailer.

Of course you can reduce your investment risk by checking out the company and the participants history and all the other things that you should check, but in the end it is an investment (IE gamble) and as with all investments crap happens, including as dlazov found, the death of a key mover.