What boardgames have you played recently?

HansK

Reaction score
Country
llNetherlands
I have been playing The Cards of Cthulhu by Dan Verssen Games.

It's quite addictive...

Babyear

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I spent one day at WBC. At the auction I purchased a copy of GMT's The Bulge new. It's a less complicated block wargame depicting the Battle of the Bulge. I am looking forward to playing.

I was disappointed that MMP was not there on Tuesday. I was looking forward to their wares! The convention folks told me their attendance was scheduled for Fri - Sun. Oh well, I missed them again.

David Altmann

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
I played a game of "A distant plain" by GMT. I was playing the talibans and I won by spreading the Sharia in the entire country. Great game but quite obscure in the first play.

Last edited:

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played a couple of games at Heat of Battle con yesterday--Memoir 44 Dieppe scenario with my buddy Cyril and a few other folks and ran a short scenario from Lock N Load Forgotten Heroes (USMC vs Viet Cong in Hue.)

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played at 'Drewcon 2014' in Palmer MA, did an 11 player Memoir '44 scenario of Omaha & Utah beach, using the new maps. 7 players on the German side and 4 on the American side. Was a real blast, Americans were way behind after taking a beating on Omaha and at Pointe du Hoc, they managed to catch up and make a game of it. Really fun game, highly recommend picking this up.

Tom

Bob Miller

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played a game of "A distant plain" by GMT. I was playing the talibans and I won by spreading the Sharia in the entire country. Great game but quite obscure in the first play.
I started my first online game of A Distant Plain this weekend. I drew the Warlords. Have ongoing Here I Stand and Virgin Queen online as well.

Sekigahara is a great non-dice based wargame on the Japanese civil war. Even Holst liked that one.

Last week I played Kingsburg with the commissioner of my Sim baseball league and his wife. I see the appeal of the Euros like this Kingsburg and War of the Roses.

cVan

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My young one has been asking me for a baseball game for about a week. Since he has been banned from the Wii, I though I would go old school on him with Strat o Matic. I had thrown all my Strat o Matic baseball stuff out around 25 years ago (I now wish I still had it all), so I picked up an 1981 version with all teams yesterday for cheap yesterday on Craig's List.

My kid's first ever dice roll in strat o matic resulted in a home run for his Detroit Tigers! Hook, line, and sinker...

Randy Strader

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Trying to get up to speed on GMT's Hoplite. Box and its contents are high quality, first-rate components. Rules derive from, but are a refinement and evolution of, the Great Battles of History series. Reading Tom Holland's book Persian Fire as a complement to the game puts the historical battles in context.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
FFG's "Chaos in the Old World" - I guess I've played it over a dozen times and it gets better everytime. Even if you're not especially into Warhammer universe this is very well designed game with smooth and fun gameplay.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Richard III a block game from columbia games. This was a fun War of the Roses game that aint too complicated. BTW, is there a game that covers the east front from 1941 to 1945 other then the Russian Campaign?

Scott

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
BTW, is there a game that covers the east front from 1941 to 1945 other then the Russian Campaign?

Scott
Lots of them. If you like the block games then stick with Columbia Games and give East Front II a try. Excellent game and the blocks and hidden strengths make it quite interesting. Rommel in the Desert is also an outstanding block game by Columbia. West Front and Med Front were okay. Not as good as East Front and Rommel.

Madmat

Madmat
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
GMT Fire in the Lake (COIN series). 2 player game with the 1965 scenario. Highly enjoyable.

Rules are concise and well written. Setup took awhile but the game flows well. Lots of tough decisions. Other player had experience with COIN series but this was double bonus for me (1: First time playing a GMT COIN series and 2:Finally playing a Mark Herman design!)

-M

Helmseye

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Lots of them. If you like the block games then stick with Columbia Games and give East Front II a try. Excellent game and the blocks and hidden strengths make it quite interesting. Rommel in the Desert is also an outstanding block game by Columbia. West Front and Med Front were okay. Not as good as East Front and Rommel.

agreed, Rommel in the desert is still my favourite of that series

jsfran

Reaction score
Country
llJapan
I recently dusted off my copy of Freedom in the Galaxy. It brought back a lot of fun memories.

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played Spyrium last night from the designer of Caylus. Eight thumbs up from all 4 players. Lots of variety and tough decisions as you place your workers for money, crystal or victory points in a variety of ways to get them; buildings, workers and contracts. Elegant design with enough events and cards that aren't used from game to game, to keep the game fresh and interesting. One of the better euros I've played in the last few years. It sells in the $20-25 range, so you won't break the bank like some of the newer, heavier euros that go in the $85 price range (Caverna)

Houlie

CEO of HoulieDice (TM)
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A four-player Vietnam extravaganza: Fire in the Lake 1965 "short" scenario. I was the U.S. Ended up a VC win in the end as they were the closest to the VP target. Very fun. Lots going on and lots of decision making for everyone. Much more "happenining" in this one compared FITL's Cuban cousin "Cuba Libre" -- which btw is a GREAT intro to the COIN series. Very recommended. The First Minnesota Boardgaming Society is planning to get the "medium" '68-'72 scenario on the table soon.

Last edited: