What boardgames have you played recently?

Blind Sniper

Diversamente magro...
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I'm playing one of the best game of the last four years, The Devil's Cauldron (Grand Tactical Series), the chits system is a winner.
Funny, easy to play and challenging :)

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
"1989" from GMTgames, the sequel to Twilight Struggle
The historical research work has been done, but could have been better integrated in game terms. The new power struggle game segment added brings little excitement. Still a decent game, only because GMT retained the core TS system.

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
"1989" from GMTgames, the sequel to Twilight Struggle
The historical research work has been done, but could have been better integrated in game terms. The new power struggle game segment added brings little excitement. Still a decent game, only because GMT retained the core TS system.
Agreed, I like TS better. It was fun, but if given the choice, I'll play TS over 1989. Maybe after another playing or two it will grow on me. Its not a bad game mind you, but TS is better.

Peace

Roger

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
GMT Downtown!

Ran a "Spirit in the Sky" mission today over the Red River Valley, target selection was rail bridges for the F100 Sabres from Udorn, Thailand, supported by F-104 Starfighters a EB 66 over Laos, and 2 A-1 Skyraiders for AAA TarCap suppression. Gotta hate 1965, a bad day out for the USAF, sorry to say.

We lost tac-3 on the strike over a suprise troop concentration as we made the run into the tgt area to drop the 500 pounders. The EB66 got caught in a suprise ( HIP) Flak trap and damaged, so the fire can radars had no trouble locking up the planes on the way in to the IP.

Decided against a launch of the whirlybird. We had visual ID on a Mig -17 in the area, and radar reports from Red Crown of 2 more circling around the southern valley near Thud Ridge. So one Aircrew chute observed, and the DR-V has gained another PoW.

Post strike recon inbound got chased all the way by the 17, it seems that the starfighters didn;t have enough legs to cover the BDA mission as well, and no in flight refueling set up for today's strike. Kicked in the ABs on our Vigilantes and ran all out for the tgt, a quick pass, a few pics and all was good.

We thought. Post strike debrief. Lt. Wells is known PoW. 1 confirmed knocked out Fire Can Radar with CBUs, one confirmed Mig -17 kill early on over Phu Bai by a Starfighter.

the Photos showed all bomb patterns from the Mk 82Snakes went into the center span, no permanent damage, a few busted cabling patterns, and a few holes in the traffic grid. S-2 figures 48 hours for the NVa engineers to have fulkl flow of traffic running back across the bridge. Well, it could have been worse, but the DR-V pull out a 1 VP win on this one.

you gotta go downtown if you never played it before. ASL over Hanoi / Haiphong and Thanh Hoa.

Besides, how many air combat games have you seen with the Top Gun flights for the Linebacker II F-14s?

KRL, Jon H

jwb3

Just this guy, you know?
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Last Saturday saw the monthly Pittsburgh game-club gathering, where I played four euro-games, each for the first time:
Yspahan
Lords of Waterdeep
Hansa Teutonica
Goa

All were good fun, I'd happily play them all again. Yspahan was light, easy to learn and play. Hansa Teutonica was a good deal heavier, very difficult to get a feel for on first play, but seemed to have lots to think about.

Rob, you commented earlier about Lords of Waterdeep being "supposedly an easier Caylus". I'd say it's as much like Le Havre, and as much its own beast. Either way it seems like a neat concept. My only reservation is that I got my butt kicked and don't really know why; usually one gets some idea of how to do better next game, but I couldn't quite figure out what everyone else was doing that I was not. Still, that won't prevent me from trying it again!

John

JMcL63

Reservist, Class of '85
Reaction score
Country
ll
I played 2 games of Combat Commander last night, introducing it to the guy I've recently been playing Up Front with. He took to CC just as well as he took to UF. Our first game was a classic beginner's comedy of errors and an easy win for yours truly. The second game went down to the wire. I lost because I made a serious tactical blunder in the midgame, one which enabled my opponent to mount a swift and deadly counterattack after which he went on to completely unravel the game-winning position I'd created for myself. And this guy's already talking about trying ASL sometime. Truly my cup runneth over!

Thripshaw

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I played my first game of Storm Over Stalingrad with my oldest son today. It was just a test run and we didn't finish, but we both liked it and it's really quite easy. Both players are kept active as the impulses really start flying by with the back and forth. I must say the cards are powerful as the German Artillery attacks (10 FP) are impressive and can do a lot of damage to an area with fewer units. On turn two I finally drew some better cards to negate some of the attack bonuses. We'll definitely play this one again as I move him from Memoir '44 towards ASL.

mgstoobs

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was invited to participate in a campaign season of 10 races of Circus Maximus(9-10 players) which meets every other month at Games Plus.
After attending the first race with me and liking it so much, my 11 year old daughter wanted in on it also! Wow!
What's so cool about it is that were playing it on an enlarged track with nicely done miniatures for the team factions. Always liked the game concept but with the miniature feel on the large map is really frick'n cool.
I have some pics I'd like to post. How the hell do I attach'em? Anyone?

thedrake

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Finally got to try solo play of my copy of Normandy 44 by GMT Games.
Nice playable game of Normandy campaign at operational scale with units representing regiments (and some battalions.)
As usual with GMT products the components are top-notch.

Before that played solo scenario from MMP's Devil's Cauldron--the Race to the Bridge scenario.
Messed up on Coulmn movement so restarted--didnt help as only a few units of Frost's battalion made it to Arnhem bridge before Hohenstaufen division cut off follow up units and ground down Brits.German victory.
Another game with excellent components--and worthy of a reprint!

Markdv5208

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
RAILWAYS OF THE WORLD. Love the game system. For fathers day, I got the expansion RAILWAYS OF THE WESTERN US.

In my 40s, I've come to appreciate economics over war.....

Mark DV
Ada, MI

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I played 2 games of Combat Commander last night, introducing it to the guy I've recently been playing Up Front with. He took to CC just as well as he took to UF. Our first game was a classic beginner's comedy of errors and an easy win for yours truly. The second game went down to the wire. I lost because I made a serious tactical blunder in the midgame, one which enabled my opponent to mount a swift and deadly counterattack after which he went on to completely unravel the game-winning position I'd created for myself. And this guy's already talking about trying ASL sometime. Truly my cup runneth over!
Admittedly I played CC also last Saturday. Brest-Litovsk 1941 with some conscripts trying to hold off decent German troops. Like in ASL they simply melted away with the Germans scoring a hero, two extra squads and twice a double ambush. I was rolled like a lump of dough.

JMcL63

Reservist, Class of '85
Reaction score
Country
ll
Admittedly I played CC also last Saturday. Brest-Litovsk 1941 with some conscripts trying to hold off decent German troops. Like in ASL they simply melted away with the Germans scoring a hero, two extra squads and twice a double ambush. I was rolled like a lump of dough.
Ah yes, the Russians do have a hard time in that one. IIRC the key is using the wire to channel the German advance into an area in which they lose the advantage of their superior range. And getting a hero's nothing in CC: I expect the hero to appear pretty much every game. Two extra squads and two double ambushes is a different matter though.

JMcL63

Reservist, Class of '85
Reaction score
Country
ll
So, last night I got another game each of Combat Commander and Up Front, with the same guy as before. CC saw us take to the bocage in a game which I lost by a mere 1VP. And that after giving up a 4VP shift when I abandoned an objective building for fear of giving up twice as many VP by losing a squad and a leader in melee. That one smarted I can tell you! I got my revenge in UF: my Brits mowed down his Japanese with clinical precision; always a nice feeling in UF! :D

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland