What ASL Product Have You Bought Recently?

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hazardous Movement's third scenario pack arrived last week. It's arrival reminded me of receiving The General magazine every few months way back in the 80's. A surprise arrival in the mail and just great to sit back and read over everything. Anyhow it's chock full of scenarios for the Red Factories map, mostly around 5.5 to 8 turns long (mostly on the longer end of this spectrum). I never played Red Barricades so try to play a scenario when I can, and this pack really will encourage me to review the SSR and terrain rules!

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thought about buying this, but have played a couple of scenarios out of this pack and its really crazy; Very small areas to play in with massive OB's to contend with. Not a scenario pack you want to play via face to face due to the counter density involved. Might be ok for VASL play. Played Waiting for the Worms, super pro German, they just sit back and blast the russians into dust (the Russians have to attack). Playing The Show Must Go On, another scenario with a very small playing area but with probably the best armed German force I have ever seen going into the attack. Lots and lots of stacks. Lastly, obviously the designers do not play RB because they disallowed sewer movement and there is no fanatic russians in the factories. Anyway just my take on the product.

Hazardous Movement's third scenario pack arrived last week. It's arrival reminded me of receiving The General magazine every few months way back in the 80's. A surprise arrival in the mail and just great to sit back and read over everything. Anyhow it's chock full of scenarios for the Red Factories map, mostly around 5.5 to 8 turns long (mostly on the longer end of this spectrum). I never played Red Barricades so try to play a scenario when I can, and this pack really will encourage me to review the SSR and terrain rules!

View attachment 22306

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Thought about buying this, but have played a couple of scenarios out of this pack and its really crazy; Very small areas to play in with massive OB's to contend with. Not a scenario pack you want to play via face to face due to the counter density involved. Might be ok for VASL play. Played Waiting for the Worms, super pro German, they just sit back and blast the russians into dust (the Russians have to attack). Playing The Show Must Go On, another scenario with a very small playing area but with probably the best armed German force I have ever seen going into the attack. Lots and lots of stacks. Lastly, obviously the designers do not play RB because they disallowed sewer movement and there is no fanatic russians in the factories. Anyway just my take on the product.
It looks like a really good pack though but if it's this tough I might just pass

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Thought I've bought Operations Special Issue #3 Fury in the East from some guy at BGG, but when my package arrived it turned out that there's no magazine inside, just the game components... I've asked the seller about this fact and he told that "yeah, only parts, blah blah", didn't even mention the fact that he didn't specify that he isn't selling the whole magazine. You cannot trust anyone these days.

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Out that person
I don't want to stigmatize names and create a storm within community (plus I think that it could be violation of the forum rules) - just, you know, for the first time I've encountered a situation like this in the ASL world. Just need to be more vigilant and appreciate the luck I have when successfully buying on a secondary market.

Last edited:

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
MMP's 'Manila' thingy has arrived.

After some weeks away and tons of things to look after piling on my desk, I have not even had the chance to open it yet.

It is a big slab of a product...

von Marwitz

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
MMP's 'Manila' thingy has arrived.

After some weeks away and tons of things to look after piling on my desk, I have not even had the chance to open it yet.

It is a big slab of a product...

von Marwitz
Box is the size of Festung Budapest, but those maps... There lies the madness...

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
5 more preorders needed for the Overlay Pack...

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
My opinion (Not associated with MMP): I doubt it. It is a complete pack, individual pages may have multiple overlays. About 80+ Overlays on 34 sheets.

The Advanced Squad Leader Overlay Bundle contains a re-printing of every overlay (on 34 cardstock sheets) issued by Avalon Hill or MMP except:

• Overlays from MMP's Red Factories
  • Deluxe overlays (available in MMP's Deluxe ASL)
  • Gavutu-Tanambogo overlays from Avalon Hill's ASL Annual 93b (re-released as a paper map in MMP's Rising Sun)
  • Overlay E1 (escarpment) from Avalon Hill's West of Alamein (re-released as board 25e in MMP's Hollow Legions 3rd Ed.)

Attachments

Last edited:

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Thought I've bought Operations Special Issue #3 Fury in the East from some guy at BGG, but when my package arrived it turned out that there's no magazine inside, just the game components... I've asked the seller about this fact and he told that "yeah, only parts, blah blah", didn't even mention the fact that he didn't specify that he isn't selling the whole magazine. You cannot trust anyone these days.
A small update, the seller was very upright and refunded all the costs. Glad that it only turned out to be misunderstandment, and even more glad I didn't call anyone by name, cause it's easy to spoil someone's reputation, but clearing another person's name afterwards isn't so smooth.

commissar1969

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
We don't play RB? Of course we do. We've been playing RB since it came out in '90. But in playtesting these scenarios, we found that Sewer Movement did not enhance the enjoyment of the scenario. So we took it out. Our aim was to simplify, not to complicate.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sewer movement is not complicated, but thats ok, it is your scenario pack so your the one in charge of whats in and whats out. I just found it not to my liking, too dense counter wise in a small area and lacked a certain feel too it. But if others are enjoying it, that is way kool.

We don't play RB? Of course we do. We've been playing RB since it came out in '90. But in playtesting these scenarios, we found that Sewer Movement did not enhance the enjoyment of the scenario. So we took it out. Our aim was to simplify, not to complicate.