What ASL Product Have You Bought Recently?

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
Downloaded the eASLRB this weekend and started reading. Swung by MMP's actual office this morning and picked up the ASL Pocket Charts. I think the pair will work well, eASLRB on a tablet with physical pocket charts.

While I was waiting a few moments for them to do the invoice I ogled the stacks and stacks of modules set out. BV, Y, FKaC, RS and RF are all on my radar. I really need to keep telling myself that I don't need HL as well...

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You will need HL, if your next opponent wants to try the Western Desert. Core modules are essential pieces to the ASL game system
and should be purchased if you have funds available. Once a module goes OOP, it takes 2 - 3 years before it come back into the
production queue for MMP.

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Add me to that list. My first one broke at the notorious stress point after only a few hundred counters. I contacted Oregon Laminations expecting there to be some kind of warranty. The owner apologized and informed me that the device is actually made in China and the manufacturer provides no warranty. However, he was nice enough to ship me a new one for free since I had only had it about a month.

AFTER I got the new one, I did a little research (yes, got it backwards) and discovered that my problem was quite common. I've also employed the d6 mod, and so far, no problems. But I do have about 20 full counter sheets waiting for their turn, so we shall see...

The rounder is certainly easy to use and does a great job smoothing out those rough edges. Nevertheless, I wonder who the genius was who decided it should be called a "heavy duty" clipper when all the stress is on a little plastic piece. :oops:
Hi guys. Just purchased one of these Oregon 2mm corner rounders. Had no idea they break so easy. What is this "D6" fix that we are discussing here and how do I do it? pjn

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi guys. Just purchased one of these Oregon 2mm corner rounders. Had no idea they break so easy. What is this "D6" fix that we are discussing here and how do I do it? pjn
Also, where do the clippings go? I presume they go into a plastic bin under the cutter. But how do I take off the plastic cover without breaking it?

DVexile

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Country
llUnited States
An example of the fix is shown in this photo:

Note the six sided die (a.k.a. D6) taped to the handle such that you can only squeeze the handles so far. Of course it can be something other than a D6 that is the correct height, and you can use something more durable than tape to attach.

What this does is prevent you from putting too much pressure on the handles and straining the plastic lever that squeezes the cutting dies together. The die limits the travel of the handles which thus limits how far the lever on the other end moves. If you play with yours you'll notice that the corner cutting dies have actually already finished cutting well before the two die surfaces are flush and the handles completely closed. The die, if the right height and position appropriately, will stop the handles just past the point where the corner gets cut. This minimizes the strain on the plastic parts.

Without the die in there the metal dies actually eventually squeeze together - it is impossible for them to move further - but you can actually still be applying pressure with the handles which means you are now potentially applying a very strong force to the plastic lever at the other end which can no longer move.

As to the clippings, they aren't captured anywhere. They just slide out of the sides if you tip the cutter and maybe give it a small whack.

pj norton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
An example of the fix is shown in this photo:

View attachment 21154

Note the six sided die (a.k.a. D6) taped to the handle such that you can only squeeze the handles so far. Of course it can be something other than a D6 that is the correct height, and you can use something more durable than tape to attach.

What this does is prevent you from putting too much pressure on the handles and straining the plastic lever that squeezes the cutting dies together. The die limits the travel of the handles which thus limits how far the lever on the other end moves. If you play with yours you'll notice that the corner cutting dies have actually already finished cutting well before the two die surfaces are flush and the handles completely closed. The die, if the right height and position appropriately, will stop the handles just past the point where the corner gets cut. This minimizes the strain on the plastic parts.

Without the die in there the metal dies actually eventually squeeze together - it is impossible for them to move further - but you can actually still be applying pressure with the handles which means you are now potentially applying a very strong force to the plastic lever at the other end which can no longer move.

As to the clippings, they aren't captured anywhere. They just slide out of the sides if you tip the cutter and maybe give it a small whack.
Thank you. pjn

VonHutier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Just bought Lone Canuks " The Steelworks", off the back of watching an opening of said product on "Scouting report 17 " ( thanks guys ) ; for a little over twenty quid looked good value, and......it's available in the UK ! Yikes !

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
Just bought Lone Canuks " The Steelworks", off the back of watching an opening of said product on "Scouting report 17 " ( thanks guys ) ; for a little over twenty quid looked good value, and......it's available in the UK ! Yikes !
There are some great monster scenarios in this one.

lluis61

Reaction score
First name
Luis
Country
llSpain
How did you get that? I thought it was long out of print and not available.
I had it in my wish list at Noble Knight Games, and almost a month ago appeared a copy NM and unpunched. Being the Italian Theater one of my favorites, I had longed for this historical module for a long time. Now I have it (I'm not telling for how much; it ashames even to me), and my personal ASL quest is complete; except for Doomed Battalions and the new products, all my acquisitions of out of print products will be secondary.

Actionjick

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Darryl
Country
llUnited States
I had it in my wish list at Noble Knight Games, and almost a month ago appeared a copy NM and unpunched. Being the Italian Theater one of my favorites, I had longed for this historical module for a long time. Now I have it (I'm not telling for how much; it ashames even to me), and my personal ASL quest is complete; except for Doomed Battalions and the new products, all my acquisitions of out of print products will be secondary.
Congratulations on getting it. Enjoy!

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Well done to you then! I hope it didn't cost you a kidney...but then I guess you would still have one kidney left...and Fortress Cassino! I will have to rely on CH eventually doing the sequel to Carnage at Cassino, to include the monastery.

Last edited:

Steve H

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I got CH Annual 6 and the three expansion packs last week. Pretty nice if you are interested in Vietnamese War
Good for you. Not my area of interest (not being an American) but I am awaiting the scenario pack for my Iranian and Iraqi nationality sets. That way I can cheer for both of them to lose.

Last edited:

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you bought FC from NKG, you probably payed way too much. Those guys are ripoffs. Why not just get the map from the VASL file, go to a printers and viola you save a heck of alot of money. The counters are can easily be substituted for whats in the system also.

Scott