What ASL Product Have You Bought Recently?

Maurizizio

Reaction score
First name
Maurizio
Country
llUnited States
Just bought Biazza Ridge (for a friend) and the latest LFT Nor’eastern Pack.

Now checking the box mail every morning, just in case Manila/HL/RS appear..... :LOL:

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
I had a copy delivered from SC on Saturday that was ordered through the week by another player
Just ordered from SCG as well. Will have to live with two copies!

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Received Starter Kit 4, SK Expansion Pack 2, and Winter Offensive Bonus Pack 9 (Deluxe Issue with 4 boards), all from Michael Dean at Fine Games (great prices and lots of MMP OOP stuff, including Haakaa Palle). Except for Decision at Elst, I now have the complete SK line.

My obvious next purchase will be Redux Deluxe, leaving Forgotten War for last. As I am on the MMP preorder list for both Rising Sun and Hollow Legions, the only core modules I will not have are Yanks and the new Doomed Battalions (I've got all the original stuff). Then I can turn to the HASLs; I believe I have all the AH/MMP ones, so it will be TPPs.

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I got my copy of Hell's Highway today by Lone Canuck (from Noble Knight). I will say that, especially for a game for less than $30.00, it is an incredible deal. It has a large map printed on thick paper with excellent artwork, coupled with high quality components.

I had not intended to get it at this time, but NK had a never-played, unpunched copy of Panzerblitz: Hill of Death which cost less that 3 times its original price (yeah, I had intended to buy it when it originally came out, but as an old PB/Panzer Leader player I held off because of the bad reaction to it). And along with it I bought a mint copy of the Operations issue that contains the PBHOD Carentan variant priced under $30.00. I bought HH as a way to qualify for free shipping, but it was high on my intended-to-buy list anyway.

As I was looking at the Operations game counters something caught my eye: in the bottom right hand corner of one of the counter sheets eight ASL vehicle/ordnance counters. So I looked in the magazine wondering why they were included and found two SK scenarios.

So, I got an unexpected ASL bonus as well as HH!

I'll add that my experience with Noble Knight was very positive. Courteous, responsive customer service, well-priced in print items, reasonably and even excellently-priced hard-to-find items (mint Ops mag for under $30.00).

They shipped the order on Thursday, and I got it on Saturday. You can't complain about that!

Last edited:

Jeff Waldon

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
I got my copy of Hell's Highway today by Lone Canuck (from Noble Knight). I will say that, especially for a game for less than $30.00, it is an incredible deal. It has a large map printed on thick paper with excellent artwork, coupled with high quality components.

I had not intended to get it at this time, but NK had a never-played, unpunched copy of Panzerblitz: Hill of Death which cost less that 3 times its original price (yeah, I had intended to buy it when it originally came out, but as an old PB/Panzer Leader player I held off because of the bad reaction to it). And along with it I bought a mint copy of the Operations issue that contains the PBHOD Carentan variant priced under $30.00. I bought HH as a way to qualify for free shipping, but it was high on my intended-to-buy list anyway.

As I was looking at the Operations game counters something caught my eye: in the bottom right had corner of one of the counter sheets eight ASL vehicle/ordnance counters. So I looked in the magazine wondering why they were included and found two SK scenarios.

So, I got an unexpected ASL bonus as well as the HASL!

I'll add that my experience with Noble Knight was very positive. Courteous, responsive customer service, well-priced in print items, reasonably and even good-priced hard-to-find items.

They shipped the order on Thursday, and I got it on Saturday. You can't complain about that!
My buddy and I played the scenarios from this and enjoyed it.

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My buddy and I played the scenarios from this and enjoyed it.
You know, the problem with PB:HOD to a large extent was the expectations people had. We were excited about being able to play an old favorite but with new, highly developed, up-to-date rules, counters and maps, one that fixed the problems of the old games; essentially, a new, improved version.

Instead what we got was a game that resembled the old ones in, at best, superficial ways. And the fact that it was named Panzerblitz instead of a more appropriate, alternative name basically meant that the old PB was dead, and MMP had no intention of resurrecting it. I don't know if you remember this, but it is sort of like when Coca Cola got rid of the original formula and introduced New Coke. It tasted more like Pepsi than it did Coke and was a miserable failure. So they brought back the original formula, which is now called Coke Classic.

But now enough time has passed and the shock is over that I think the game can be appreciated on its own merits. And I have heard that the Carentan variant is really good.

As for its future, PB:HOD is pretty much a dead end, and there will be no more in its series. However, MMP is working on a successor to it, PB East Front, which is redeveloping the new PB system with the lessons learned from PBHOD. PBEF is projected to be a series of modules, each covering a year or so and presenting a contemporary OB. There is active discussion on it on Consimworld, although I always have problems trying to find it as I do not visit Consim often. Work on it has been delayed because of Covid, but it seems like things are picking up again.

I am pretty excited about it. I love ASL, and for the past 20 years it has been my game of choice. But the cool thing about PB is that it offers a tactical level game capable of covering swaths of territory that would take dozens (hundred or more?) ASL maps to cover. And let's not even try to think about the number of counters one would need to duplicate these actions.

I really hope it is a success.

Last edited:

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here is where PBEF is being discussed on on Consim: http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.1dd7462d/1413

It will be interesting to see where it goes, now that IT has the benefit of almost 40 years of ASL development to inform it (the original PB, published in 1970, was the ground model for tactical games that developed in the 1970s, including Squad Leader, and through it ASL).

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
Recently I've bought DASL. A week ago I've ordered FKaC and Korea: Forgotten War, they should arrive at the end of the next month. Next week it'll be Croix de Guerre, Armies of Oblivion and maybe some HASL.

A little offtop, but (speaking of PB) does anyone know, if TCS are also dead, or is there some new GD module to come?

Last edited:

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Recently I've bought DASL. A week ago I've ordered FKaC and Korea: Forgotten War, they should arrive at the end of the next month. Next week it'll be Croix de Guerre, Armies of Oblivion and maybe some HASL.

A little offtop, but (speaking of PB) does anyone know, if TCS are also dead, or is there some new GD module to come?
You sound like a man after my own heart. I have bought years worth of ASL modules in the past four months, and fortunately am getting close to where I can slow down spending money that, umm, I really should not be spending.

DASL is next for me, and then KFW. And with those, counting preorders I will have all the core modules (new, that is--I have the originals), including SKs, except Yanks and Doomed Battalions (and Solitaire, of course :) ).

Manilianus

His Royal Fubar
Reaction score
First name
Michał
Country
llPoland
After this Money Wave (ASLRB 1.69.A.) I'll be close to completing core module collection - I'll be missing Hakkaa Päälle!, Yanks 2nd ed. and Doomed Battalions 3rd ed. (waiting for Rising Sun and Hollow Legions preorders to come to print, as it'll be time I'll be ordering them via my local store - an operation which will be about two times less on costs due to no custom and VAT fees).

Then I'll ruin my private life, bank account and national GDP by hunting for KGP I, II, BRT and other Porsche's of eBay...

Last edited:

atago44

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
After this Money Wave (ASLRB 1.69.A.) I'll be close to completing core module collection - I'll be missing Hakkaa Päälle!, Yanks 2nd ed. and Doomed Battalions 3rd ed. (waiting for Rising Sun and Hollow Legions preorders to come to print, as it'll be time I'll be ordering them via my local store - an operation which will be about two times less on costs due to no custom and VAT fees).

Then I'll ruin my private life, bank account and national GDP by hunting for KGP I, II, BRT and other Porsche's of eBay...
I bought a copy of HP for $149.00 at Fine Games (Michael Dean) about three months ago. He may have more of these.

Update

Sorry--just checked. It's no longer listed.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
There are some games in the post and they are taking an excruciatingly long time to get here.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
There are some games in the post and they are taking an excruciatingly long time to get here.
Jan I was sent stuff from Canada at the end of February, not got here yet, then another that took less than two weeks earlier this month! Go figure .