What ASL Product Have You Bought Recently?

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Popped into the local gaming mega store and picked up the Pocket Rule Book. I had hoped to also pick up for SK #1 for a buddy who has the Original SL but hasn't played in years. They had sold their last copy two weeks ago.

I do have a hefty order with MMP which the site states was 'dispatched' on 02 July,.... it hasn't arrived yet.

Any Canadians out there who can advise how long is "too long" before I get worried and need to ping MMP?

Last edited:

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Popped into the local gaming mega store and picked up the Pocket Rule Book. I had hoped to also pick up for SK #1 for a buddy who has the Original SL but hasn't played in years. They had sold their last copy two weeks ago.

I do have a hefty order with MMP which the site states was 'dispatched' on 02 July,.... it hasn't arrived yet.

Any Canadians out there who can advise how long is "too long" before I get worried and need to ping MMP?
Expect a customs bill if it takes a long time.....

The Purist

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gerry
Country
llCanada
Expect a customs bill if it takes a long time.....
Yup,.... Christmas in July, :geek:...with a customs bill of $16 ?:mad:

Turning the Tide
Rivers to the Reich
Action Pack #9
Action Pack #13
WO Bonus Pack #6
WO Bonus Pack #10

Purchased "Turning of the Tide" for the classic scenarios. I've already lined up a face-to-face opponent for "Breakout from Borisov" and "Sowchos 79" (and probably "Sacrifice of Polish Armour"). Others were purchased to add to official map collection ('home game' versions) while pre-order for 'map bundle 2' spools up (paper maps are laminated for travel).

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
just bought almost all of the counters in the new release from Broken Ground

edit and update; this is what I've ordered from Broken Ground:

Chinese Communist
Area Acquisition
Concealment (1/2")
Concealment (5/8")
Snipers
USMC (Olive Drab)
MC & Philippines Army
inese KMT (Blue)
Japanese
Filipino Guerillas

Last edited:

Paul_RS

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
My objection to special forces operations is that the scale is often too small and/or the situation too one-sided to fit the game well. When the British raid Vågsøy, it's an operation that can possibly work well in ASL. When three trucks, a jeep and a camel drive across an airfield spaying machine guns at unmanned aircraft it's probably a bit too small for ASL. Not everything that's a great military feat of arms is suitable subject for an ASL scenario.

JR
How true. I played Silent Death many years ago, a scenario that is probably representative of an SF attack. My Russians remained soundly sleeping as the Finns skied in shot the place up, placed their demo charges and skied off into the forest without so much as a scratch. Probably the least enjoyable scenario I’ve ever played, but the SSRs were realistic and restricted/prevented any response from the defenders.

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
While such situations might not be best for a competitive game, they can be instructive for those who wish to understand history. That's the beauty of ASL, it can give a good idea of what matters even in lopsided clashes.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My objection to special forces operations is that the scale is often too small and/or the situation too one-sided to fit the game well. When the British raid Vågsøy, it's an operation that can possibly work well in ASL. When three trucks, a jeep and a camel drive across an airfield spaying machine guns at unmanned aircraft it's probably a bit too small for ASL. Not everything that's a great military feat of arms is suitable subject for an ASL scenario.

JR
What was the camel driving? One of the trucks or the Jeep? Was it an armed camel? Heroic? One hump or two?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
While such situations might not be best for a competitive game, they can be instructive for those who wish to understand history. That's the beauty of ASL, it can give a good idea of what matters even in lopsided clashes.
It's not so much that you can't make a competitive game, because with the right VC you can make any scenario competitive, as much as it's hard to make an interesting game for both players. The fact that "historically" one side lost the battle still leaves open the possibility that both players can have fun. With special forces it often happens one player gets all the "fun" dudes and toys, and the other player gets to watch the first player have fun. This is not to say that it can't be done. It's just that much harder.

JR

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
I won't disagree. Nothing stopping you playing solo, though. ASL can be both entertainment and educational.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
just preordered some of the new Broken Ground Pacific Counters,
bought the Communist Chinese and Filipino Guerrilas, oh and some more snipers

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Got home from vacation and found a nice package of battledice in my mailbox waiting for me. ASL goodies is a good welcome home :)